ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

RegaLink

<< < (10/13) > >>

cci8j:
I'm interested in RegaLink and I have some additional features to request. Perhaps you can accommodate them, but regardless, thanks for your efforts so far.

Before I dive into the requests, I'd like to share with you a similar product I use quite a bit, and one that I intend to use in conjunction with RegaLink: GTTech's freeware AcqURL. AcqURL is a small, now-free product that I've used successfully for a number of years, and actually like quite a bit, although on reflection there's a bunch of parts to the application that I don't particularly make use of.

More about AcqURL, and downloadable here: CNet URL

Originally, I thought that I was searching for an AcqURL replacement, but I think the two tools can co-exist quite well, so I'll try to live that way-- in fact, RegaLink may prolong the mileage I get from AcqURL, a bonus for me.

Things I like about AcqURL:

* Different tabs by topic

* Ability to add separating "headings" for organization

* Supports Windows shortcuts as a launchable item: this is quite useful and I'd encourage you to consider it for RegaLink. It is certainly the case that there are activities that are worth doing and "tracking as done," which is what RegaLink helps with.

* Color control

* Favicon detection for URLs

Problems I have with AcqURL, and ones that I think RegaLink can assist with:

* Fixed number of entries per tab (move many URLs to RegaLink lists)

So, in RegaLink, these are the features I'd like:

1. Specify URL.txt filename on the command-line. Critical-- since the program allows multiple instances to be active (yay!), it would be really great to be able to launch each one with a different URL.txt file.

2. Capitalize (not ALL CAPS) for the word "Add" on the right-mouseclick menu.

3. I believe that URL.txt files may be programmatically generated by processes; as such, these would be nice additions:

3a. Allow for a "heading" of some sort in URL.txt. When read, the list on screen has some heading displayed.

3b. Allow for a "separator" of some sort in URL.txt. When read, the list on screen has some separator displayed.

3c. Allow for a "comment" indicator in URL.txt Simply skip the line when reading in.

4. Header graphic control: if specified on the command-line, RegaLink will use a JPG file above the current multi-panel display. If the specified graphic is not found, isn't the right size, or otherwise strange, it'll use an internal graphic. This would go a long way toward customization and personalization, and even allows for integration with other programs.

5. Color control for font, background, borders, whatever. Either ad hoc via command-line, or from a family of color choices, or even a config file? A config file might be a convenient place to park options.

6. Font size flexibility: you'll be old someday too.

7. Change the time format to (something like) 14 May 10:25 AM: My thinking here is that year values won't really ever be needed, and quite probably seconds. A human-optimized date format

Again, a cool little app, please continue to add fertilizer, I think this can grow quite nicely with some attention. Additionally, we do want to see you in the pilot's seat again, right?  8)

mouser:
Welcome to the site cci8j!

I like some of your suggestions.. It's a pity that stephen (the author) has been away from the forum lately.  I hope he'll get to the requests.

KynloStephen66515:
OK!

Let's get this done :P

Firstly...the favicon thing...I will leave till last...had some issues with that before (couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it to load without becoming immensely unstable lol

CMD Line stuff can be added pretty easily, so will do that later today.

ADD URL is now Add URL :)

Date and Time format = Done

Font Size = Done

Colour Control = Done

Will release when I have added the features I mentioned here :)

cci8j:
While Stephen recuperates, I was curious if anyone else has ideas for RegaLink?

I should mention that the FavIcon note refers to AcqURL's interface-- it's not actually a feature request, so please don't fuss on that account.

It's worth noting to anyone that's familiar with that tool, that I think RegaLink and AcqURL could actually work quite well together, so I plan to integrate them into my "daily use" regimen, and that also yoking RegaLink to processes that can create files of URLs programmatically will also be very cool-- even more powerful if a way emerges to put RegaLink in service of opening files in the local visible filesystems.

So, for example, if you wanted to check diagnostics on your system(s), you might have RegaLink look at the current collection of logfiles, and it would represent something of a checklist of places you wanted to be sure to visit, and a reference to places you'd already gotten.

Anyway, I'm happy to champion and cheerlead the cause, but was curious if anyone else has downloaded the current version and used it?

Cheers!

-cci8j

KynloStephen66515:
Hey cci8j,

Just to let you know, I am actually fully recovered now, however, I must ask for a little more patience due to me moving 350 miles from my current location.  Once I am settled in there, I can finally sit down and do some serious coding (I miss it like crazy) :)

Thanks for your continued support and loyalty!

-Stephen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version