topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What are your favorite movies?  (Read 109381 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What are your favorite movies?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17 AM »
Tron is arguably one of the seven-ish signature movies that defined my childhood, as an early example of what later came and passed as "cyber-punk". So much so, that about 7 years ago I got hold of a special rare Text-To-Speech engine that sounded at least "sorta-close" to the MCP. My inside joke was in some alternate timeline the MCP has been repaired with a "patch" and is now a literature professor that reads audio books!  

8)  

(The quality is far from perfect, but it's parsecs away from every other TTS engine I've heard that's racing to be as nondescript as vanilla pudding. If anyone really wants to have a giggle, maybe start a new thread and I can whip up a few phrases. It's a pity that the engine is discontinued with no plans of future developement though!)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:04 AM »
If anyone really wants to have a giggle, maybe start a new thread and I can whip up a few phrases. It's a pity that the engine is discontinued with no plans of future developement though!

There are several open source TTS projects you might want to look at if you're in the mood to play with  that and maybe make the effort a little more future-proof.

e:Speak and Festival come most readily to mind. But there are plenty more to explore if you do a search. More are listed here.
 8)

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39 AM »
I see there are a lot of SF lovers, yet no one mentioned two works that are among the best (if not the best):

Solaris

Stalker

These two movies are truly engaging, no "holding-your-hand-explaining-what-is-going-on" crap. Another favourite of mine is:

Valhalla Rising

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I see there are a lot of SF lovers, yet no one mentioned two works that are among the best (if not the best):

Solaris

Glad you preferred the original Russian film to the 2002 Hollywood remake. Thought the way they handled  Kris Kelvin's wife (Hari/Rheya) was better in the Sov version too.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Haven't seen Old Boy, but that is the kind of movie I like.  My netflix free trial runs out in two weeks...  :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Maybe somebody can help me out with this one. It's a 2009 American film called The Limits of Control..

LimitsofControl.jpg

I can't decide if this is an unusually clever movie - or just a send-up of Bergman's style.

(I strongly suspect it's a complete put on to see how many film buffs fall for it - but maybe I'm missing something?)

Anybody else out there manage to sit all the way through it like I did? :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Here's two more if you like heist/caper movies. Both are brilliant semi-sleepers: Foolproof and The Score.

Foolproof.jpg   TheScore.jpg

Plus a very updated remake of that classic heist film The Thomas Crown Affair that's easily 100 times better than the original:

TCAffair.jpg

After this film, Rene Russo Rules! Go gingers!!! :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 07:43 PM »
A Few More From Me:

The Killer Inside Me
To Live and Die in LA
Frailty
Pontypool
Winter's Bone

ps. I used my Web Link Captor (disccussion thread here) program to search for and find IMDB links for entries for me, and automatically build me the bbcode to paste in my post.  Finally I found a perfect use for that program.. (perfect except for it doesn't attach photos).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:04 PM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Since we're posting so many, I'll add another and a note:

Life of Brian

Life of Brian.jpg

And pretty much everything else by Monty Python.

The only bad thing about Monty Python is that we can't get any more Monty Python.  :Thmbsup:

But, rather than dwell on negativity, I think that we should always look on the bright side of life! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 05:12 AM »
This is one that used be a favourite of mine years ago, but would nearly have to look at it again to see if it's still up there.

Being There
MV5BM+++CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

It was Peter Seller's last film, very different from his other films, quite slow moving but with some absolutely classic scenes.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 05:20 AM »
@Mouser - +1 for Pontypool. Nice bit of originality in a sea of me-too zombie themed movies. About the only zombie apocalypse treatment I ever found believable and genuinely scary. Didn't even mind the absence of the lovely and outrageously athletic Milla Jovovich (as Alice) in that one.

An interesting cross-genre riff with some zombie/possession (and H.P.Lovecraftian blending of science and religion) is John Carpenter's 1987 Prince of Darkness. This one has it all: sci-fi, horror, demonic possession, some allusions to the (then radical) notion of the relationship between mathematics, information theory and DNA...

alice.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

Suppose you could somehow capture the source of all evil and contain it in a reliquary kept hidden in the basement of an abandoned church. Suppose this evil was a tangible thing only temporarily imprisoned within a parallel dimension that was now beginning to replicate itself here in order break free within our own reality? That's the basic premise behind Prince of Darkness. An idea that got used quite effectively by Clive Barker when he penned his now legendary Hellraiser/Books of Blood series.

A university scientist-professor, along with his handpicked team of graduate students, is called in at the request of a priest to study something hidden and guarded by the church for centuries: a large glass container that was somehow sealed from the inside. It contains a swirling and radiant mass of...something. It used to be dormant. But as the priest points out -  something inside has started to awaken. Something that is trying to get out...

POD.jpg

This film has it all. You even get a few appearances of none other than Alice Cooper as a possessed street derelict!

pod2.jpg

A few great quotes from the film:

(from the quantum physics lecture at the start of the film)

Let's talk about our beliefs, and what we can learn about them. We believe nature is solid, and time a constant. Matter has substance and time a direction. There is truth in flesh and the solid ground. The wind may be invisible, but it's real. Smoke, fire, water, light - they're different! Not as to stone or steel, but they're tangible. And we assume time is narrow because it is as a clock - one second is one second for everyone! Cause precedes effect - fruit rots, water flows downstream. We're born, we age, we die. The reverse NEVER happens... None of this is true! Say goodbye to classical reality, because our logic collapses on the subatomic level... into ghosts and shadows...

From Job's friends insisting that the good are rewarded and the wicked punished, to the scientists of the 1930's proving to their horror the theorem that not everything can be proved, we've sought to impose order on the universe. But we've discovered something very surprising: while order DOES exist in the universe, it is not at all what we had in mind!

A life form is growing out of pre-biotic fluids. It's not winding down into disorder, it's self-organizing. It's becoming something. What? An animal? A disease? What?

(static distorted borderline hysteric voice) This is not a dream... not a dream. We are using your brain's electrical system as a receiver. We are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference. You are receiving this broadcast as a dream. We are transmitting from the year one, nine, nine, nine. You are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events you are seeing. Our technology has not developed a transmitter strong enough to reach your conscious state of awareness, but this is not a dream. You are seeing what is actually occurring for the purpose of causality violation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:47 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 05:45 AM »
I'll have to check out that Pontypool. Sounds pretty good.

As for Prince of Darkness... That was 1987... I'm pretty sure that I was drunk and/or high that year, or a good portion of it. I know I saw it, but... :P

And speaking of zombie flicks, this is a FANTASTIC one:

http://www.imdb.com/...tt0103873/?ref_=sr_1

Dead Alive.jpg

It's a romantic horromedy (horror comedy). It mashes up a love story inside of a zombie apocalypse, but keeps things in perspective and makes fun of everything!

FAIR WARNING: You will likely piss yourself laughing. You have been warned~! ;D

I'd forgotten about that -- definitely one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen!

(Incidentally, it was directed by Peter Jackson - same dude that did the LotR.)

Hmmm... Come to think of it, Dead Alive was in 1992, and I'm pretty sure I was drunk & high that year too... :P Must have been really good if I remembered it~! ;D

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:51 AM by Renegade, Reason: Trivia addition »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Stardust:
Adventure, fantasy, (riskier) jokes, nice effects, decent storyline and last but not least a strong cast. I mean, who can say no to Michelle Pfeiffer with Claire Daines as backup?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 05:56 AM »
Stardust:
Adventure, fantasy, (riskier) jokes, nice effects, decent storyline and last but not least a strong cast. I mean, who can say no to Michelle Pfeiffer with Claire Daines as backup?

That was a BRILLIANT movie! I loved it! It's probably the closest thing to The Princess Bride, and very much comparable, though I couldn't say which I liked more. I've see TPB more times than I could count. (Used to stick it in while working - nearly wore out the tape.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11 AM »
To break away from the horror/sci-fi genre for a moment and enter into the realm of 'fantastic realism' (a place where I prefer to spend the bulk of my personal time) here's another two favorites of mine well worth watching: Big Fish and The Science of Sleep.

BigFish.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?  sciofsleep.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

Everybody has probably seen or heard enough about BIg Fish already. But I'm frankly surprised that The Science of Sleep has remained as generally unknown as it has.

The Science of Sleep is IMHO one of the most brilliantly conceived little movies ever made. Especially impressive is the use of junk cardboard stop motion animation that runs throughout the movie. Just goes to show that you don't need a half billion dollars worth of CGI and special effects to produce a great picture. Just a solid story, a talented cast, and a little ingenuity. :up:

Here's the trailer:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:42 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24 AM »
[Dead and Alive]
It's a romantic horromedy (horror comedy). It mashes up a love story inside of a zombie apocalypse, but keeps things in perspective and makes fun of everything!

sounds good :D

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead
(sounds like all of the above mixed with *real* life - brilliant)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34 AM »

+1 - That was GREAT! I loved it!  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40 AM »
Stardust:

That was a BRILLIANT movie! I loved it! It's probably the closest thing to The Princess Bride, and very much comparable, though I couldn't say which I liked more. I've see TPB more times than I could count. (Used to stick it in while working - nearly wore out the tape.)

+1. It was a great movie. Claire Daines hit the exact right note for her character. And Michelle Pfeiffer couldn't put in a bad performance if her life depended on it. She's an amazingly versatile actress. See her in White Oleander to catch a side of her acting talent most wouldn't suspect.

But if you really enjoyed Stardust, do yourself a favor and read the Neil Gaiman book (get a copy with the Charles Vess illustrations) it was based on.

sdust0.jpg

Good as the movie is, the book is easily ten times better. Be forewarned however - the ending of the Stardust book is one of the most heartbreaking endings ever written in that it reminds us that all things - even those which we deem most precious - inevitably come with a price tag attached. Best avoided if you don't have a taste for bittersweet endings.

Ditto props for The Princess Bride. Also one of the best ever made. FWIW I'd put TPB over Stardust as a movie. As books go, however, I think Stardust has it slightly over The Princess Bride.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:53 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Continuing in the departure from horror and sci-fi, how about movies that made you cry?

Old Yeller

Old Yeller.jpg

Not sure how old I was when I saw it, but probably around 7 or so.

It used to be common parlance to talk about crying to Old Yeller. Not so sure that it would evoke the same tears today though...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 07:11 AM »
^Watched a relative's son and daughter sit through it a while back. They're 7 and 5 respectively. Not a tear in sight. Truth is, I think they were rather bored by it.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 07:39 AM »
^Watched a relative's son and daughter sit through it a while back. They're 7 and 5 respectively. Not a tear in sight. Truth is, I think they were rather bored by it.

Not sure whether that's a good thing or if I should cry again for Old Yeller...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2013, 05:54 PM »
+1 - That was GREAT! I loved it!  :Thmbsup:

Was it a sequel? I liked Shaun better when he still was alive: movies.netflix.com/ShauntheSheep

-------
Chance was the Danish title of Being There. Perfect Book, and great Movie, but as tomos said, it has been quite a while, so a re-view is needed :-)

thumbs:
81rTGL2ZuAL._SL1500_.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?51Rr8VyydWL.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

-----------
Shane - The Silent Rider was a fav' book of my youth, and I still like the movie version big time as well:

thumb:
2013-02-15_001221.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

-----------
GARP is an all time favourite as well, both as book and as moving pictures. The beginning of the film version The World According to Garp was extra wonderful:

thumb:
garp.jpgWhat are your favorite movies?

-----------
Several Danish, Swedish, and other not-English films as well. But what's the point in telling you about Ein Mann Geht Durch Die Wand, or Carl Th. Dreyer's Ordet, or ... or? As tomos said, that was then, how is it today? I haven't seen those two films in fourty years, and maybe it is for the best to not re-view them. The German one wasn't "great", but we analysed it in class, making it mean something to us. A film really doesn't have to be "great", (as proven by some of your lists!), it is more important if it appeals to something in you, I think.

thumb:
60_35.JPGWhat are your favorite movies?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 12:36 PM by Curt »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Was it a sequel? I liked Shaun better when he still was alive: movies.netflix.com/ShauntheSheep

Hahahaha~! ;D  :Thmbsup:

I also love Shaun the Sheep~! My wife and I sit down every so often and watch a few episodes. :D (We have the DVD set.)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Tinman reminded me of a great movie that really nailed a few things. Sort of an action/tragedy. A man is pushed past his breaking point, at which point he just snaps.

Falling Down

Falling Down.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 04:14 AM »
A film really doesn't have to be "great", (as proven by some of your lists!), it is more important if it appeals to something in you, I think.

good point Curt - in the last years I have thoroughly enjoyed some films that are really not so great. I mean the story or acting or something resonates with whatever is going on with me at that particular moment. OTOH a film can be super made or maybe technically brilliant, but not connect with the viewer - or simply not have much of a heart (last Almodovar film comes to mind - but maybe it 'connects' with someone else...)
Tom