ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to prevent browser tab clutter for Firefox and Chrome?

<< < (4/6) > >>

omnray:
You guys are incredible. I can't process more than some 30 tabs at a time. So I'd save them in session groups. I couldn't imagine 700 tabs. It just feels "wrong". (yikes).
-TaoPhoenix (October 04, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you not need to shut down you Chrome daily there is no real need to close tabs (I move pc to a sleep at night, not shut down it).
Closing tabs take time (actually a lot), and mental energy, so i prefer open new one if i need, and even if i know that they already open - it is faster to open new one than to search old (even with tabs quick search extensions). And I clean up everything only once in a week or two, all at once. This is real clean up session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=yMqao38jkY8&v=VvlK1ttZ3dI
(you maybe already saw this video as it is referenced from TO overview video)

In past, before TO was done, there was real problems in this scenario - because of accident crashes or restarts, and there will be no any observability, but now i am even never mind if everything will crash, even not reopen anything.

Microsoft Windows start to work unstable when there is ~800 open tabs. So when i come close to 400-500 is simple save everything and continue work with one tab. So i close everything only when i forced by OS limits - maybe you forced to do this every day, so you not accumulate so big pile.

I have 16 gig of ram. But 800 Chrome tabs rarely consume more than 5-6 GB.

omnray:

I have 16 gig of ram. But 800 Chrome tabs rarely consume more than 5-6 GB.

-omnray (October 04, 2012, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except if you have flash enabled, as many advertising banners use it. This is quote from my help text:

If you open a lot of tabs - set flash plugin in “Click to play mode” - there is how:
www.mytechguide.org/9445/disable-flash-content-google-chrome, really useful
for saving your PC resources and to prevent videos autoplay. Actually without this
it is impossible to having open several hundreds of tabs.

Then pray for Flash so it will not die to HTML5 completely (as occupyflash.org
horde crave) - as it is hard to control HTML5 rich media content so easily. Note
that even if you click play you can unload downloaded by Flash content from
RAM, stop video downloading and bandwidth usage, CPU usage, and free
resources without closing the page, simple by clicking refresh - this is not at all
so easy with HTML5 based solutions meantime, and I think it will not be so.

--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Yes, Chrome use more ram, maybe much more, i never compare, but to start new Firefox instance when you have 200-300 tabs in it need to wait a minute, and new Chrome start instantly even if you have 600 tabs. And work as fresh one (not the case with Firefox)-omnray (October 04, 2012, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope.

In recent versions, FireFox by default only reloads the necessary tabs - and in previous versions, there were addons for this functionality.

Also, Chrome does a process-per-tab (might have moved to groups of tabs per process in a recent version, like IE9 does) - which means it'll always use quite a lot more memory than firefox (there's pros and cons to the multi-process approach, but it's not a definitive win). Not everybody has or can afford extra RAM.

As for JavaScript speed, that's an ongoing battle - it's nice that there's some competition between the browsers. Currently, Chrome has the lead, but the foxy devs are working hard on changing that :-)

brotherS:
If you not need to shut down you Chrome daily there is no real need to close tabs (I move pc to a sleep at night, not shut down it).
Closing tabs take time (actually a lot), and mental energy, so i prefer open new one if i need, and even if i know that they already open - it is faster to open new one than to search old (even with tabs quick search extensions). And I clean up everything only once in a week or two, all at once. This is real clean up session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=yMqao38jkY8&v=VvlK1ttZ3dI
(you maybe already saw this video as it is referenced from TO overview video)
-omnray (October 04, 2012, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't had time yet to check out Tabs Outliner in detail, but I just watched that video. I love the sheep icon being used for the clone option! So cool...  ;D

omnray:
Not everybody has or can afford extra RAM.
-f0dder (October 04, 2012, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Really?
16gb (2x8), for notebook, cost 70$
cannot afford this?

Take note that unused ram is utilized as prefetch cache by system. So you will also seriously speed up all you disk operations and the system in general.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version