ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: App to Stop "All" Network Traffic Until My VPN Connects

(1/4) > >>

coll4pqv:
Hello to all.

As far as I know, what I want doesn't exist.  But I could be wrong.  In any event, I'm excited about seeing someone here develop an easy-to-use app that will do what I want without being complicated or otherwise being a drain on PC resources.

Now, I myself don't code, as may be obvious, but would like to.  In fact, I'd love to "sit in" with the programmer and see if I can learn some basic programming.  If this is possible, and it wouldn't be too cumbersome, I'm certainly willing.

Anyway, here's the deal.

I use a personal VPN application (the one from Witopia, using OpenVPN) and find that applications on my PC (anti-virus looking for updates, DNS Crypt by OpenDNS, etc.) are gaining access to the network prior to my VPN connecting.  Additionally, I also find that these and other applications (Thunderbird, Firefox, etc.) are able to connect to the network if and when the VPN loses connectivity.

Witopia tells me that their product is doing what it's designed to do, but in so learning this I realize that the VPN is not doing for me all that I both expect and want, that being ALL traffic at ALL times being routed through the VPN.  And if the VPN is not connected, then nothing gets online.

So, what I'd like to find is an application that can, basically, block all internet traffic (internal to my network is fine) any time the VPN is not connected.

Now, having said that, there is, at least at this time, only one caveat to that.  Occasionally I will be at a location, typically a hotel/motel but even my company's own "Guest" network, which requires some authentication through a browser.  Obviously, if I'm having ALL network traffic blocked by this app I won't be able to authenticate.  So what I'm thinking would be nice is to have the app written in a way that would allow a specific browser (K-meleon, Maxthon, etc.) to have network connectivity without restriction.  So then, I'd use that browser to authenticate to that network, at which point my VPN would make it's connection and then I'd be good to go.

Does that make sense?

Well, I guess at this point I sit back and see what feedback I get.  Also, if someone does know of an existing app that does what I need, or at least pretty close to it, or if there are some setting in Windows that I can enable/disable/whatever to accomplish what I want with ease, please do let me know.  I'll poke around the internet in the meantime and see what I can see.

Thanks so much for your consideration and I really look forward to this whole process.   :)

Emma

jgpaiva:
Even though I'm not an expert in the matter, this seems like the kind of stuff that exists already. Looks like an outgoing firewall which allows only VPN packets out would solve it. However, you would have to disable it when connecting at browser-based authentication site.

Renegade:
Even though I'm not an expert in the matter, this seems like the kind of stuff that exists already. Looks like an outgoing firewall which allows only VPN packets out would solve it. However, you would have to disable it when connecting at browser-based authentication site.
-jgpaiva (June 28, 2012, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I saw something on Torrent Freak about this, but I'm tired and need to get some sleep... Maybe someone can follow up...

coll4pqv:
-jgpaiva (June 28, 2012, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wondered about that myself as it would seem to be the ideal place to enable such restrictions.  I'll see what I can find; thanks.

magician62:
I am not sure and am unable to check this as at present have no active VPN, but can you not just disable your existing connection  in Network and sharing center and create the VPN connection ? (win 7)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version