topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: GoogolBar  (Read 27655 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2012 Release: GoogolBar
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:11 PM »
NANY 2012 Entry Information

Application Name GoogolBar
Version 1.0.9
Short DescriptionGoogolBar is my idea of a replacement for the Google Toolbar for Windows. It does not contain anything questionable, unethical, shady, sneaky, privacy invading, etc.
Supported OSes 32-bit versions of Windows: 98/ME/2K/XP with IE 5 or newer
Setup File http://appsapps.info/downloads/GoogolBar.zip
System RequirementsWindows 98/ME/2K/XP with IE 5 or newer
Author Info app103 - App's Apps | LaKraven - Reinvent The Wheel
DescriptionNice, clean, and simple. It is a deskbar that integrates with your taskbar to provide convenient searching of various Google services (20 in total) right from the desktop in your default browser.

It will work with all major browsers and most obscure ones, too. It will work with both horizontal and vertical taskbars.

It will not store a search history, not phone home, not report statistics, no automatic installation of updates without the user's knowledge or consent, no tracking of personally identifiable surfing activities, no tracking of "anonymous" statistics, no changes to your default search engine, no changes to your default "new tab" page, no changes to any web page you view, no collection and storage of personally identifiable information, no loading of dynamic content from the web, no advertising, no 3rd party bundled software, no BS.

And for those that really care about privacy, there is an option to search using Scroogle.
FeaturesServices supported: Web, Image, Maps, News, Groups, Shopping, Video, Mail, Books, Finance, Scholar, Blogs, Youtube. Calendar, Reader, Documents, Patents, Android market, G+, Scroogle
ScreenshotsAs displayed on a vertical taskbar:
Screenshot - 12_19_2011 , 10_06_05 PM.png
InstallationJust run the GoogolBarSetup.msi file by double clicking it.

After installing, right click your taskbar and on the menu, under Toolbars, select "GoogolBar". If you do not see it listed there, wait a few seconds and check again.
Using the applicationJust type in one or more search terms into the box, select the type of search you want to perform from the drop down list, and click the Search button. Your search will be opened in your default browser.
UninstallingClose the GoogolBar deskbar first by right clicking the toolbar and selecting "Close toolbar". Then restart your computer. Failure to skip this may cause uninstallation to fail.

It can then be removed from Add/Remove programs by finding and uninstalling the entry called "GoogolBar".
Known IssuesVista/Win7 x86:

Current version may not work but there will be a version that will, coming soon.

x64 versions of Windows:

Current version will not work but there will be a version that will, coming soon.

Internet Explorer:

This isn't meant to be an Internet Explorer toolbar, even though it does appear on the Internet Explorer toolbars menu.

I had to add it to that menu to get it to show up in the Explorer toolbars menu.

You can use it with Internet Explorer, but it will not open searches and pages in the open instance of Internet Explorer. It will open them in a new instance of your default browser, which in some cases might be a different browser than Internet Explorer.

Themes:

It doesn't fully support Themes. It is still showing the wrong background color with some themes. (I am still working on full theme support and I am beginning to get the impression it might not be possible)

NOTE: This version contains a "Donate" button. I will also have a version without the "Donate" button uploaded within the next few days for anyone that supports the project. Just send me a private message and I'll give you a link to download it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:24 AM by app103 »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Release: GoogolBar
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Quite nice!  Good work, app!!  :Thmbsup:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52 AM »
I am in need of a volunteer that can compile a 64-bit Delphi app and test to make sure it works.

Got an offer I couldn't refuse. Simon Stuart has offered to rewrite it so it works on Win7, both x86 and x64.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 01:02 AM by app103 »

Rmissbrooks58

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:15 PM »
 :D  I like it.  

LaKraven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • The "alien" Delphi developer
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Hi April, I'm registered as you suggested, and am working on Win XP, Vista and 7 support for both x86 and x64 as per discussion.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Welcome to the site, LaKraven!

LaKraven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Welcome to the site, LaKraven!

Thanks... nice to be aboard  8)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Hi April, I'm registered as you suggested, and am working on Win XP, Vista and 7 support for both x86 and x64 as per discussion.

Terriffic! Glad you joined. I promise you won't regret it. (I love this place!)  :)

LaKraven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Terriffic! Glad you joined. I promise you won't regret it. (I love this place!)  :)

Seems like a nice place from the posts I've read on here in the past (almost always your posts, I believe).

I'm rewriting GoogolBar right now to fully support Win 7 (x86/x64) and to address clear issues I noticed in your original code (no offense intended)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Welcome to the site LaKraven  :Thmbsup:

LaKraven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Okay... Got this sucker working on Windows 7 (x86 & x64), as well as XP (x86, x64) with full theme support.

Finishing it up now then will ship the binaries back off to app103 (April) to release :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 01:36 PM »
being rewritten or not, I am so pleased to see April writing again ♥♥

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 07:58 PM »
being rewritten or not, I am so pleased to see April writing again ♥♥

Yeah, I am back to it. Took enough time off and got my head a bit more together. I won't be making any more deskbars though. This is my last one. Too many issues with my base toolbar code that I can't resolve. (I am already working on my next project though.  ;))

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:31 PM »
LOL, cute app! Make sure it's released well before Thanksgiving  :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Okay... Got this sucker working on Windows 7 (x86 & x64), as well as XP (x86, x64) with full theme support.
Finishing it up now then will ship the binaries back off to app103 (April) to release :)

-so, what happened? LaKraven's post was dated 27 Dec, but the available zip file is dated 20 Dec.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 04:13 AM »

-so, what happened? LaKraven's post was dated 27 Dec, but the available zip file is dated 20 Dec.

The binaries LaKraven sent me, I considered unacceptable due to a bug that wouldn't allow me to even test the 32-bit XP version on my PC because I keep my taskbar on the right side of my screen, and not the top or bottom. Since they were all from the same source, I assume the same bug exists in all versions he compiled. I told LaKraven about the bug but either he wasn't able to resolve it or he lost interest in the project.

Basically you can consider this a dead project with only a binary that will work in 32-bit Windows, up to and including XP, but not beyond. And there will be no future toolbars produced by me for any purpose, at least not until I am running a 64-bit OS I can test it myself with, and resolve my own bugs, and compile the binaries for distribution, myself.

I am really sorry.  :(

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 06:53 AM »
 :up: