ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help! Ideas for software aimed at 'learning'

<< < (2/2)

Renegade:
You would have to know the program is running.
So no sneak factor would be possible in that respect.
Plus, possibly, setting the 'flash cards' on a timer,
never heard of a random timer, but it could be here somewhere.
-cmpm (June 20, 2011, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a program like that, I'd have the user set a minimum and maximum time between displays, then each time it is displayed, I'd calculate a new time inside of that interval.

But you bring up a good point -- if there's a program that can randomly bring another program to the forefront (focus), then that would solve the problem.

Beth UK:
You would have to know the program is running.
So no sneak factor would be possible in that respect.
Plus, possibly, setting the 'flash cards' on a timer,
never heard of a random timer, but it could be here somewhere.
-cmpm (June 20, 2011, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a program like that, I'd have the user set a minimum and maximum time between displays, then each time it is displayed, I'd calculate a new time inside of that interval.

-Renegade (June 20, 2011, 08:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - that's what I was thinking of here - the question selection is 'random' (selecting from a list of possible questions that I can input) and the timing is based on 'not within a minimum period' but 'not exceeding a maximum period'. For example, a question is posed within say 15 and 45 minute intervals (not evenly spaced)...

Depending on whether I get a question right or wrong I then mark the question in some way that then impacts on how frequently that same question is asked. If I answer a question correctly it goes to the bottom of the list and gets asked again perhaps three or four days later.

Thanks for the discussion about this guys!

urlwolf:
We are working on a product that covers this and need beta testers. If anyone wants to know the details, PM me.

lanux128:
Evernote is working on something like this as an iPad app..

• http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/evernote_re-engineers_studying_by_flash_cards_with.php
• http://www.padgadget.com/2011/06/10/evernote-peek-worlds-first-ipad-smart-cover-app-rethinks-flashcards/

kyrathaba:
I think you will have a very hard time finding it.

What you're asking for is for a program to steal focus, which is generally considered evil. Pure evil. Evil as in the Devil would shun it.

I can see the point to it, but really, I think you're going to need some luck in finding it.

If you have some code handy for someone, or if you have some VERY specific format ready that can be implemented quickly, then I think you can see if someone will build it for you.

The basics for it aren't very hard. It is however... esoteric.
--- End quote ---

I'd post this on the Coding Snacks request forum if you haven't.  This would be fairly easy to code.  I might even take a stab at it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version