topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: [HELP] broke a (HP) Printer by pulling USB Plug -when it was trying to print (?)  (Read 11320 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is one of those situation where I'm not 100% sure what happened but I think it was this (note: the OS messages are translated so may be off a bit):

I think I pulled the printer's usb plug (from the computer) while the printer was receiving info from the computer about a print job

Printer: HP OfficeJet Pro 8500

Next time I tried to print, it didnt work (absolutely no response from printer)
  • I tried different USB ports,
  • tried restarting printer and pc (a couple of times)

I tried the OS trouble shooter and it said that there was something in the printer queue - nothing was showing there - but I suspect a print job got half sent to the printer and screwed things up, but it doesnt show in the printer queue.

Under printers, there was an option in this printers context menu - something like "delete the printer queue". I chose this, and it said it was going to delete the printer - which was not the next logical step from just deleting the queued documents - but I thought WTF and did it - I thought when I connected the printer again the OS would simply install it again, but this didnt work. Absolutely no response from the OS when the printer was reconnected.

I tried the HP software which sent me into a weird loop of attach printer -> install manually (I think, it was quite vague) -> back to beginning.
So that was no help.

This is not my computer/printer - I'm going to go back there (possibly on Sunday) with a different laptop and see if the printer gets installed on that one (in which case I would presume the problem with the OS - but I suspect it's with the printer.)

But I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any tips - the printer is brand new so under guarantee (although I'd be embarrassed either way: to admit, or to not admit, what happenend)

Did try a google search but no success (but possibly using the wrong terms)
One of those days...
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
typically what one does in such case is UNPLUG device from power.. WAIT 5-10 minutes, replug it in.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am with the mouser. Unplug the printer and wait a while. Same with Windows.

Printers are by far the buggiest most crappy appliances known to man, save perhaps those old-fashioned modems. Some are dumb machines that rely completely on the computer to do its every twitch, others only want the computer to tell them what the page looks like, and inbetween those things all printers have totally insane and messed up software packages that are supposed to make things 'easier' but rarely ever do.

So, if power-recycling both your printer and Windows doesn't work, remove your printer, run DriverCleaner or something similar, then reinstall it. If that messes up too, try another computer. If that messes up too, then congratulations, you broke your printer but good.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
while i avoid any programs that clean registry or drivers, for fear of making things work, the suggestion to try another computer is excellent, and i would do that if power cycle doesnt work.  and worstje is right to suggestion restarting the PC too before concluding it's something bad with printer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
okay, thanks for the tips :up:
will try on Sunday...
Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is one of those situation where I'm not 100% sure what happened but I think it was this (note: the OS messages are translated so may be off a bit):

I think I pulled the printer's usb plug (from the computer) while the printer was receiving info from the computer about a print job

USB is by design Hot Swap-able, so the chances of you breaking anything that way are zero.

Printer: HP OfficeJet Pro 8500

Next time I tried to print, it didnt work (absolutely no response from printer)
  • I tried different USB ports,
  • tried restarting printer and pc (a couple of times)

I tried the OS trouble shooter and it said that there was something in the printer queue - nothing was showing there - but I suspect a print job got half sent to the printer and screwed things up, but it doesnt show in the printer queue.

That would be my first guess also. Here's what you do next:

Stop the (Print) spooler service - This may release the file by itself, but just to be sure...

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS (Yes even on a x64 machine)

Any files left in that folder are your stuck print jobs. Delete everything in the "PRINTERS" folder. (I'm not yelling, MS capitalized the folder name).

Restart the Spooler service.

Under printers, there was an option in this printers context menu - something like "delete the printer queue". I chose this, and it said it was going to delete the printer - which was not the next logical step from just deleting the queued documents - but I thought WTF and did it - I thought when I connected the printer again the OS would simply install it again, but this didnt work. Absolutely no response from the OS when the printer was reconnected.

It's actually impossible to delete a printer if it has a job stuck in its queue.

I tried the HP software which sent me into a weird loop of attach printer -> install manually (I think, it was quite vague) -> back to beginning.
So that was no help.

Congratulations! You completed the "wizard" correctly ... And achieved the expected result.

This is not my computer/printer - I'm going to go back there (possibly on Sunday) with a different laptop and see if the printer gets installed on that one (in which case I would presume the problem with the OS - but I suspect it's with the printer.)
I'm thinking driver/OS ... But I'll come back to that in a minute.

But I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any tips - the printer is brand new so under guarantee (although I'd be embarrassed either way: to admit, or to not admit, what happenend)

Okay, write this down (seriously): Never, ever, ever, (ever...) tell one of HP's "Tech Support" drones, the "truth". They quite frankly aren't bright enough to process information on that level. Make up an at least half way plausible story that makes it as close to totally bricked as possible. Then there will be absolutely no reason to try to "Trouble Shoot" the device on the phone.

Side Track: The sales manager once bet me that we were not about to waste 2+ hours by calling HP's tech support. - He lost - We wasted 3.

Did try a google search but no success (but possibly using the wrong terms)
One of those days...

Okay seriously:

Make sure the USB cable is disconnected.

Go to Programs & Features, and uninstall the print driver from there. Also uninstall any other HP crapware that may be installed on the machine.

Reboot the machine.

Go to HP's website and download the latest driver for the machine.
Note: It's not that I actually think they might have fixed anything. We just want to have a known clean driver with a newer version than the one installed so Windows doesn't reflexively grab the old and possibly corrupt one again. (Think dog after a bone).

When the installer says plug-it-in do so, but not a moment before.

Hopefully it'll find it.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Printers are by far the buggiest most crappy appliances known to man, save perhaps those old-fashioned modems. Some are dumb machines that rely completely on the computer to do its every twitch, others only want the computer to tell them what the page looks like, and inbetween those things all printers have totally insane and messed up software packages that are supposed to make things 'easier' but rarely ever do.

You've worked with these before I see...  :D

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I had a similar thing happen a while back with an audio device.  Reloaded software, drivers, reboots and still nothing.
What finally did work was a suggestion I found on a forum somewhere.  Can't remember which it was.
The person said to go into Device Manager and delete the USB port the device was operating through. Sometimes they get bumfuzzled.
After I did that and plugged the device back in it was re-recognized and worked fine.

Not sure if the same thing can apply with the printer but might work.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Never, ever, ever, (ever...) tell one of HP's "Tech Support" drones, the "truth". They quite frankly aren't bright enough to process information on that level.

Well Stoic, the initials ought to forewarn people — Hopeless Poltroons.

As you pointed out, cleaning out the spool/PRINTERS folder has worked for me on a number of occasions.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:10 PM by cranioscopical »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for all those tips Stoic Joker - I had hoped you might have a few ideas :)
Will let you know how I get on....

Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had a similar thing happen a while back with an audio device.  Reloaded software, drivers, reboots and still nothing.
What finally did work was a suggestion I found on a forum somewhere.  Can't remember which it was.
The person said to go into Device Manager and delete the USB port the device was operating through. Sometimes they get bumfuzzled.
After I did that and plugged the device back in it was re-recognized and worked fine.

thanks for the tip -
checking the usb ports properly would be a logical step ... although I know they can work for one device and not for another (there was a thread about that here lately**). I'll try Stoic's suggestions first anyways before messing with ports

** https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25359.0
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Printers are by far the buggiest most crappy appliances known to man,

Especially HP printers - their software is truly awful. Lost count of the number of homes I have visited to remove and reinstall HP software.

DON'T EVER TRY TO INSTALL HP SOFTWARE OVER EXISTING DRIVERS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REINSTALL WINDOWS- you have been warned.

Using a different USB port is likely to cause offence.

Having said that using the printer seems to cause offence to HP!

If you can't get it working do the following:

In Add/Remove programs remove ALL HP software and drivers (and be prepared to spend a good hour doing so).

On the installation disk there is a folder called CCC - find it (sorry can't remember where it is). Inside are 4 files UninstallL1..4* - execute them in sequence (they remove all remaining traces of the HP software - since HP's uninstallers don't work).

Make sure you restart your computer and unplug the printer.

Reinstall the software but don't plug in the printer until it tells you to.

*If you used the original CD supplied with the printer that is fine. If you have since upgraded make sure you use the uninstallL1...L4 from the actual version for drivers you have installed. If you use the wrong ones they don't work (brilliant bit of design).

I will give the same advice I give all my customers - next time buy a Canon printer. They are the only printer company I know that seem to write good drivers and software that work. I have had endless problems to sort out with HP but Brother and Epson aren't much better.

While I am in rant mode - can someone explain to me why HP All-in-one drivers are often around 300Mb to download - and why is their automatic update likely to cause issues almost every time. Finally why is there always an error in the system logs about HP Cue? It doens't seem to matter which printer or which version of windows there is always a service that won't start!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:10 AM by Carol Haynes »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good point about the cleanup utility. I keep forgetting about that option because I don't deal with the home users/inkjets much. It's mainly business/network/lasers I get involved in. But the tip does apply to the smaller SOHO lasers as well.

Also, when installing the driver resist the urge to zip through the (next, next, next) install. Because the option to install only the driver and not the rest of the HP CrapWare is frequently hidden or easy to miss.

Anything that (is not just the basic driver) qualifies as Hand Holding software, and is garbage that should be avoided like a plague.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I will give the same advice I give all my customers - next time buy a Canon printer. They are the only printer company I know that seem to write good drivers and software that work. I have had endless problems to sort out with HP but Brother and Epson aren't much better.
hat won't start!

I fully approve. :up: I've got a Canon Home-copier. Sadly it has no scanning functionality, but you'd be surprised to learn that I bought it around 2002 and that I managed to get it to work in Seven. While there's no drivers for it the Vista drivers work fine, save for a few minor issues the drivers have always had... but compared to the HP drivers of my previous printers, those minor issues are fully of the ignorable kind.

To be honest, I quite fear the day I upgrade to my next OS - somehow I expect that my Vista driver will finally cease working then, and that I have to get a new printer. Which sucks, since my current one has treated me so well. :(

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fortunately newer Canon printers and MFCs are still very good IMO so when the time comes you can just get one of those. ;)

- Oshyan

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I might well just get XP mode set up at such a tme, or some virtual machine with an older OS to do the printing from. HD space comes in plentiful numbers after all. :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I may be wrong but I don't think XP drivers will install and work through USB in XP Mode - the USB support is pretty basic and probably won't support installing devices. Best bet is to get host drivers and use printer sharing in XP Mode.

Actually I don't think any of the desktop VM apps will let you do that - I would be glad if someone can prove otherwise.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had a similar thing happen a while back with an audio device.  Reloaded software, drivers, reboots and still nothing.
What finally did work was a suggestion I found on a forum somewhere.  Can't remember which it was.

thanks for the tip -
checking the usb ports properly would be a logical step ... although I know they can work for one device and not for another (there was a thread about that here lately**). I'll try Stoic's suggestions first anyways before messing with ports

** https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=25359.0

I wasn't sure if it would be applicable in this case or not.  Thanks for pointing out the thread.  Some reason I hadn't looked at it before.  I got tired of trying to keep an HP printer working as it should.  Up until the last two I had dealings with they were great.  With the last two, even with help from others on HP's forum, it was one thing or another.  A couple of the suggestions to myself & others were buy a newer generation printer with more current drivers.  HP was not updating drivers on these.  Even though one was only a little over a year old.  That is what I finally did.  I found an inexpensive Canon MFP a few months ago and yet to have the 1st problem.

Good luck with figuring it out.

tomos away

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
doing mouser's trick - an away from home login (forgot my password :-[)

[...]
On the installation disk there is a folder called CCC - find it (sorry can't remember where it is). Inside are 4 files UninstallL1..4* - execute them in sequence (they remove all remaining traces of the HP software - since HP's uninstallers don't work).
[...]
*If you used the original CD supplied with the printer that is fine. If you have since upgraded make sure you use the uninstallL1...L4 from the actual version for drivers you have installed. If you use the wrong ones they don't work (brilliant bit of design).

The original CD was used for the install but I cannot find folder CCC nor any *uninstall* files on it :(
cant find any info about these files in the HP (german) site, will try one of their english sites

I could simply reinstall the same version (22.0.334.0 - new version is 22.50.231) but would hope that the new version is better.
The HP site says to simply uninstall and install more recent driver on top (I know, dont trust...)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did a quick check, HP calls it a Scrubber (most of the time).

If you go to the HP Drivers & Software page for the OfficeJet 8500 it will be listed under utilities as a "Removal Tool".

Hopefully these links will work from where you're at:

HP Officejet Pro Software and Driver Removal Utility
http://h10025.www1.h...3752462&sw_lang=

HP Officejet Basic Driver Removal Utility - IT Professional Use Only (Corporate Scrubber)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:58 AM by Stoic Joker »

tomos away

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did a quick check, HP calls it a Scrubber (most of the time).

If you go to the HP Drivers & Software page for the OfficeJet 8500 it will be listed under utilities as a "Removal Tool".

Hopefully these links will work from where you're at:

HP Officejet Pro Software and Driver Removal Utility

HP Officejet Basic Driver Removal Utility - IT Professional Use Only (Corporate Scrubber)

thanks SJ
this version of the printer is the OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910a
unfortunately I cant find any driver removal tools for it - the software version (basic) was 22.0.334.0

I'm tempted to go ahead and install anyway

tomos away

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stoic Joker:
your link says the 4 steps involve:

Level 1: Removes the Windows device discovery (Plug and Play) entries from the Windows registry. After running level 1, connect the USB cable to the all-in-one and let Windows try to discover the device again.
Level 2: (Performs Level 1) Removes the software drivers. After running level 2, run the all-in-one installer and use the ""Add a new device"" option to attempt to reinstall the all-in-one again.
Level 3: (Performs Levels 1 and 2) Removes the HP Photo and Imaging software. You must completely reinstall the all-in-one software after running level 3.
Level 4: (Performs Levels 1, 2 and 3) Removes HP Software Update. You must completely reinstall the all-in-one software after running level 4.

#2 is done (how well I dont know)
#3 wasnt installed
#4 wasnt installed

so (I believe) only #1 is a problem - could I work around that some way do you think?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Okay, so you only had the driver installed, and not the other CrapWare (good man).

There is a Basic Print & Scan driver v22.50.231 showing on the DL page ... Give that one a shot.

Don't plug in the USB until (Simon Says...) prompted by the installer.

tomos away

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Followed instruction but no joy I'm afraid - the printer is simply not recognised by the computer or software - I need that level one uninstaller/scrubber:

Level 1: Removes the Windows device discovery (Plug and Play) entries from the Windows registry. After running level 1, connect the USB cable to the all-in-one and let Windows try to discover the device again.

I can contact HP and ask for it for this version.

They do have another suggestion here (Windows 7, Solution #10 - after reinstalling)
[edit] but I dont see it making a difference [/edit]

Solution ten: Perform a power reset

A power reset drains the power from the product and returns to the same settings after restarting. A power reset is a common troubleshooting step, and you can perform one for conditions like print jobs getting stuck in the queue.
  • Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  • With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 15 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  • If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.

minor edit marked
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:09 PM by tomos away »

tomos away

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am growing to loathe HP more and more as time goes by:

I'm trying to register the printer via their site as I presume it will be necessary for support - I'm offered two printers with exactly the same name except one is called the "neues modell". Pictures of both printers are exactly the same - how in the loving name of all that is good and holy am I supposed to know which to choose - psychic powers maybe.....