topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free ALZip 8.0 License  (Read 4347 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Free ALZip 8.0 License
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:47 AM »
You can get a free ALZip 8.0 license during the beta period.

* DISCLAIMER: I used to work for the company 2 years ago, but am no longer employed by or affiliated with the company. I of course still have friends there though. I do own stock in the company.

There's a new EGG compression format as well. It actually looks very cool. For those looking for massive options, forget it. It's all simplified into extremely easy steps that your mother can understand.

Anyways, for those that may be interested.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free ALZip 8.0 License
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:51 AM »
thanks for the info, Renegade. i still have AlZip on my PC, thanks to the gratis license from your time at the company.. 8)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I still use AlZip too.  It is still the easiest to use in my opinion with all the features - though as you said, it isn't a tweaker's delight.  That is why I like it.  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:39 PM »
@Renegade: Thanks for the tip.    :Thmbsup:
I have just registered for a Free ALZip License.

I have been a long-term user of an old version of WinRAR - which is very good.
After a recent discussion in the DC Forum, I started trying out IZArc - which is very good at what it does - but I am not entirely happy with it.
A look at ALZip might help me to clarify my requirements.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:53 PM »
I have been a long-term user of an old version of WinRAR - which is very good.

WinRAR comes with lifetime upgrades as far as I know, so no reason to use an old version :Thmbsup:.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:12 PM »
ALZip is what most people need. It's simple to use and intuitive. It's far easier than WinRar or 7zip. However, it lacks the configuration that you can get with those more complex tools. If you really need all those options, then ALZip isn't for you.

I've had a look at the new 8.0 beta, and they've removed some options in favor of a simpler and easier interface. e.g. The speed extractor is now simpler. (Incidentally, I designed the speed extractor. :) ) The most interesting thing is the new EGG compression format as it has smart compression for different file types, e.g. JPEG vs. PNG vs. BMP all benefit from different compression types. It also does solid compression now, which is very nice.

Now, if the development road map is still relatively the same as when I was there, v8.0 will be ported to OS X and Linux as well. Not sure though as I've not asked about that.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Now, if the development road map is still relatively the same as when I was there, v8.0 will be ported to OS X and Linux as well. Not sure though as I've not asked about that.

Now THAT would be awesome!  I have been using AlZip for a long time (version 4 or 5 if I remember correctly), and though 8 is a little simpler, it has everything that I needed WinRAR for that WinZip didn't supply.  WinRAR is nice, but AlZip is cheaper and easier for most uses.  In fact, I know what Renegade said above, but I really can not think of one thing that WinRAR does that AlZip can't do that anyone would need - unless there is some bizarre requirement for the compression to be in RAR format.  That said, if you already have WinRAR, I can't imagine any reason you would need anything else, unless, again, there is some sort of a format requirement that WinRAR can not create.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:23 PM »
@steeladept -- I think you're pretty much 100% bang on there. There are things that WinRAR will do, but how many people really need those features? I can't remember the last time I needed any of them. My #1 "advanced feature" requirement is solid compression for things like log files. Not very sophisticated.