ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (10/36) > >>

superboyac:
I can fill up 60 TB no problem.  Uncompressed movies and music.  Backup.  Done.
-superboyac (May 26, 2011, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yoiks! I'd think you'd be a shoe-in for the coveted 2011 "Swat Fly with Sledgehammer" Tech Achievement Award (also known in geek circles as the Spank the Monkey Medal) if you did that.
 ;D
-40hz (May 26, 2011, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's me!  Quite literally.  When I was little, I had a traumatic incident with wasps and I got stung a lot.  Since then, I hated the creatures.  There was a while where if I saw a lone wasp on the ground or something, I'd take a running leap and jump just as high as I could, and land on it with all my strength.  And, of course, I still added a little foot-twist at the end to make sure.  That was before I was the founder and president of a club called the Extirpaters.  Three of us would go around the house and make sure there were no creepy crawlies around.  If they were, we'd catch them with a stick that had a sticky-gooey substance at the tip, then fry the bugs in the zapper lantern.  We had official laminated cards and everything.
My little sister was left out of the club in all of this.  One day, I found that my sister tried to make herself an "Extirpaters" card.  She copied the design as best as she could, but the funniest (or saddest!) part was that she didn't really know about lamination, so she took a couple of pieces of clear plastic and sort of taped the edges together with the card in the middle.  But the card would just sort of shake about inside the plastic pieces.  I was so mean!

40hz:
^Talk about initiative! I'd hire her in a heartbeat.  ;D

When I was younger I always pushed for letting a trusty girl or two into whatever we were getting up to. They often provided a "reality check" when thing started getting really stupid. And they were extremely valuable allies for getting adults to agree to something. (Never underestimate the power of a young female asking for a favor or permission.)

Most of them could also tell a lie (and be believed) much better than we could.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Emma, Judy, Kim, Tawney, and all the other so-called tomboys I grew up with.

Kim would have been one of the first to 'sign up' for building something like a personal petabyte cloud. She was handy with a soldering iron, "good with tools", and liked to build stuff. She's the first person I ever knew who had a ham radio license (and shortwave rig) when I was a kid. Self-taught too. Her father owned a dry cleaner shop and her Mom was a homemaker.

So imagine all the contributions your little sister might have made to your club if she'd been allowed in. Given enough time and encouragement, her skills and talents might have really taken off. Which would have been great. Because you just never know when you might need the services of a good forger.  ;D

skwire:
And they were extremely valuable allies fir getting adults to agree to something. (Never underestimate the power of a young female asking for a favor or permission.)-40hz (May 26, 2011, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, the negotiating skills of young females (I have two daughters) is a sight to behold.   :D

40hz:
^Agree. I have two nieces that have it down to a science. I have yet to meet a male that doesn't cave the minute they do that little 'prayer-hand & curtsy' thing they do when they say "Oh please can I?"

I just hope they continue to only use their superpowers for good.  :P

skwire:
I don't get the "cutesy" act so much from my girls.  I get the "lady logic" arguments that flummox me to the point that I can't even form a coherent sentence with which to reply.  Personally, I find it awesome that a seven and eleven-year-old can make me speechless in this way.   :-* 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version