ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (11/36) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I don't get the "cutesy" act so much from my girls.  I get the "lady logic" arguments that flummox me to the point that I can't even form a coherent sentence with which to reply.-skwire (May 26, 2011, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

When cornered, the safest answer is always no. Beyond that fall back to go ask your mother ... Because only a true expert can win that game.

...At least that appears to have been my dad's strategy for dealing with my sister. :)

superboyac:
^Talk about initiative! I'd hire her in a heartbeat.  ;D

When I was younger I always pushed for letting a trusty girl or two into whatever we were getting up to. They often provided a "reality check" when thing started getting really stupid. And they were extremely valuable allies for getting adults to agree to something. (Never underestimate the power of a young female asking for a favor or permission.)

Most of them could also tell a lie (and be believed) much better than we could.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Emma, Judy, Kim, Tawney, and all the other so-called tomboys I grew up with.

Kim would have been one of the first to 'sign up' for building something like a personal petabyte cloud. She was handy with a soldering iron, "good with tools", and liked to build stuff. She's the first person I ever knew who had a ham radio license (and shortwave rig) when I was a kid. Self-taught too. Her father owned a dry cleaner shop and her Mom was a homemaker.

So imagine all the contributions your little sister might have made to your club if she'd been allowed in. Given enough time and encouragement, her skills and talents might have really taken off. Which would have been great. Because you just never know when you might need the services of a good forger.  ;D
-40hz (May 26, 2011, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hear ya.  I was not always very nice to my little sister, it makes me sad to think about it.  She always wanted to do the things I was doing, and I would occasionally be a little mean and stuff about it, but most of the time we were good.  I'm just a loner, though.  I need space and time to myself more so than most people.

I agree with the girl power stuff.  My problem is that if I hang around a cool girl like that for too long, I'm going to get "interested" in her (not my sister, by the way, in case it wasn't obvious...you guys are sick!).  Seriously, every girl that I've been friends with, I eventually started having feelings for, and then things just change.  So i don't care anymore, I don't get worked up about it.  Those cute girls can seriously get anything they want...I "use" them that way also.  Like in that Seinfeld episode where the drop dead blonde gets the sold-out movie tickets, and gets out of the speeding ticket.  The area here in downtown where I have lunch, there are these three regulars that I call the "trinity", because if they ever asked me for ANYTHING, I'd do it.  no question.  The sight of them alone utterly defeats me.

I do love the tomboys, too.  So cool and fun.

superboyac:
Well, I've had some more time to work through this project.  Before I give Geoff a call back, I'd like to review my server design here with you guys.  It's pretty generic right now, but as we discuss things more, I'll fill in the details.

Questions:
1) Let's say I order a Dell server for that first box shown (from Stallard).  How difficult would it be to format the drive and freshly install a server OS (MS Server, Home Server, whatever it ends up being)?  From what I've heard, doing a format/fresh install on a server is a lot more finicky than doing it with the regular OS's.  I always do that whenever I get a new computer.  But I don't want to run into an impossible to solve problem regarding drivers, OS configuration, hardware issues, etc.

2) The other thing I want you guys to pay attention to is the setup of the storage components.  I have RAID5 going on based on previous discussions here and with Geoff.  I also have this special shared drive, like a media drive, that will sync up with the media folders on the central storage.  This is how I'll get around my never ending issue with VPN, and trying to access files remotely.  I've given up on all that technology, none of them are good in my opinion.  Things like Dropbox are limited by their cloud services, usually by price or storage size.  I want nothing to do with monthly charges or cloud services.  So instead, I'll just physically sync all the files to each remote device that I use.  That way, I don't have to stream any videos, or read/write to a remote location.  Everything is local.  So I like this solution very much.

Stoic Joker:
How difficult would it be to format the drive and freshly install a server OS (MS Server, Home Server, whatever it ends up being)?-superboyac (July 28, 2011, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dell server hardware is all mainstream, so the drivers will most likely be in-box. So dificulty level = 0.

From what I've heard, doing a format/fresh install on a server is a lot more finicky than doing it with the regular OS's.-superboyac (July 28, 2011, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't imagine why, it's the exact same Windows installer we've all used 100s of times before. ;)

But I don't want to run into an impossible to solve problem regarding drivers, OS configuration, hardware issues, etc.
-superboyac (July 28, 2011, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously? With us in your corner, something is going to be impossible to solve..?? I'm hurt.  :(

(hehe)

superboyac:
Thanks Stoic!  You're right.  Again, I've only HEARD these things.  To me, as long as I can stick in an install dvd and it runs, I should be able to deal with it.  Where I would have trouble is if the OS can't even start or get going...then I'm lost.  Once it's up, you're right, I can always turn to the DC experts!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version