ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rotating JPEGs *without* changing modified date

<< < (4/4)

Cynic:
I haven't yet tested this, but I think that if you backup your photos to a CD or RAR archive in the Winter and erase them from your hard disk, then copy them again to the disk in the Summer, Windows will set the modified time equal to what it was in the Winter (which is the modified time when the files were backed up).
If you leave those files in the disk until the next hour change, Windows will then reduce the modified time by one hour.

Once again, I have no idea if this is the correct explanation for this problem, all I know is that I have a lot of pics with disagreeing dates even though I never modified them.

tomos:
I haven't yet tested this, but I think that if you backup your photos to a CD or RAR archive in the Winter and erase them from your hard disk, then copy them again to the disk in the Summer, Windows will set the modified time equal to what it was in the Winter (which is the modified time when the files were backed up).
If you leave those files in the disk until the next hour change, Windows will then reduce the modified time by one hour.

Once again, I have no idea if this is the correct explanation for this problem, all I know is that I have a lot of pics with disagreeing dates even though I never modified them.-Cynic (January 20, 2008, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

you've got it Cynic! ... I think :-\
I've changed computers lately and used my DVD backups to transfer my photos..
still not sure why the pattern for me of some affected/some not*, but somehow it just "sounds" right
(you can tell I'm not an extremely scientific type of guy :D)

* [edit] could be I burnt most in one season and the "problem" ones in the other...

Darwin:
* [edit] could be I burnt most in one season and the "problem" ones in the other...
-tomos (January 20, 2008, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Season = "session"?  :P

tomos:
revisiting this (correcting created date of photos) -
this about correcting the date in the Exif info if that incorrect.

From the current newsletter (Nov.6th 2009) from Imaging Resource. I added a link for the recommended app in the quote:-
camera manufacturers record it in the Exif header of their image files in several places. The DateTimeOriginal, CreateDate and ModifyDate tags all record it, for example. The trick is to reset all three on a new image.

ExifTool can do that with one simple command. There's a Windows version and a Mac version. The simplest way to use the utility is from the command line (Terminal on the Mac).
[...]
   exiftool -AllDates-=1 *
--- End quote ---
Full article: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/archive/v11/20091106.htm#adv

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version