topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software for simple system of organization  (Read 8263 times)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Software for simple system of organization
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:37 PM »
I've come up with a system of organization that works for me and I need help finding a software that can easily do it.

With tons of things to do, I've realized the need for a system of organization. I've heard rave reviews about GTD, but having gone through some of the book, its far too complex for my liking. Hence, I've come up with my own system. TO form this, I've taken some ideas from Dave Allen's GTD principles, plus my own.

All stuff is broken down into tasks that is organized into 4 priorities:

1) Urgent and Important
2) Urgent and non-Important
3) Non-Urgent and Important
4) Non-Urgent and Non-Important

It goes 1 to 4 in decreasing order of priority.

Each task is tagged under one or more categories - e.g. health, financial, career, business, personal development, family etc.

Whenever a new task is added into the system, I put down the date it is due, its priority, some tags plus some small notes describing it. The task is then automatically added to my calendar. When I look at the calendar, I can see the tasks that are coming up. The ones that are higher in priority will appear at the top of each day.

All this should ideally be in an online system such as Google Calendar (for the calendar) so that I can easily access it from anywhere.

Anyone already use a system like this? Any ideas? So far, I've tried thinking rock and tiddlywiki, but both are GTD based.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software for simple system of organization
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:23 AM »
TiddlyWiki and all it variations were very useful for me. But I stopped using them.
Thinking Rock was/is by farrrr the best implementation of GTD I found in any software. I love that is it free! But I stopped using it.

I needed something that would work with my phone. Sending a quick text message has been by far the best solution for me.
It's far from perfect, but I have synced Twitter with RememberTheMilk.com. RTM can export an ical feed for use in Google Calendar, which I can view on my G1 Android phone.

As I said, far from perfect.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00 AM »
I've been using MyLifeOrganized for a few years and I like it, even though I'm not using some of its more advanced features.
You can pretty much do whatever you like and it syncs with my smartphone (which was a requirement for me).

cheers  /jerome

criss

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00 AM »
I think you can use your system with many ToDo-List progs. F.e. my preferred ones: Tudumo (using tags for your priorities), Note Thing.

Tudumo seems to get online synchronsation soon.

BTW I much prefer DIT (Do It Tomorrow: closed lists) over GTD because it's much simpler, and it is easy to set up.

DIT http://www.markforster.net/
Tudumo http://www.tudumo.com/
Note Thing http://www.notething.com

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Have you looked at Tracks?  http://getontracks.org/

You might be able to use the projects as your 4 priorities, and I believe you can have the program list your programs in an order you specify on any given day.

PM me if you want to demo Tracks for a few days, and I will create an account for you on the installation I have running.

C

134679aa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18 AM »
 :up: :P ;D

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Well, this is a free task management software which I've seen recommended recently. I admittedly haven't tried it yet--it's on my to-do-list. :D
It's called...uh..ToDoList and stores its tasklists in XML format. Whether or not ToDoList suits your preferences, please let everybody know which software you've decided to use.

Good Day, sajman99

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:39 PM by sajman99 »

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I thought I'd update my progress on this. For starters, I got myself a huge inbox, which is what GTD recommends anyway. I need Google Calendar integration as a main priority since it gives me free SMS reminders, which are real handy. If Google Calendar supported tagging, I'd be set. RTM (Remember the Milk) can integrate with Google Calendar, supports priorities and tags, but the tags don't seem to show up once imported into Google Calendar.

I've yet to try Tracks, it seems good and I have access to a ruby server, so I'll be playing with that.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Tracks doesn't play well with Google Calendar.  In fact, it doesn't work with it at all AFAIK.