topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: Automatic Copy when highlighted  (Read 100490 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Automatic Copy when highlighted
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 09:14 PM »
I've seen a program that does this too...can't remember the name but it was made by a Linux user who missed the feature in Windows. It did work universally. Sorry I don't remember the name!

hi there,

i believe that the tool mentioned by looper is Linux ClipBoard. it's web-site is spanish but the program & help file are in english. here is the link: http://www.vikt0ry.com/progs.php?pagina=2

best regards,
hydreux

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 01:15 AM »
great work hydreux!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 04:48 AM »
Okay, DragKing is just cool (and damn useful in several contexts). Thanks Skrommel!

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 12:12 PM »
 :) Updatede DragKing to v1.1!

Changes:
- 2005.09.04: Updated to v1.1: Also reports the number of words and lines. Added ini file for user defined delimiters.

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2005, 12:14 PM »
looks like another beauty!

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2005, 06:20 AM »
Skrommel-

thanks personally from the guy who asked for this!! You've got a lot of other interesting little progs.

Keep up the good work and all the best!

-vevola

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2005, 07:27 AM »
 :) Thank you, thank you. I just found I've forgot to credit you on the 1 hour software page! Sorry about that! I'll correct it as soon as ftp works again.

Skrommel

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2005, 09:21 AM »
I've been using CAPshift this week, and that's been a boon. AutoHotkey is a great tool, but it takes a creative scripting master like Skrommel to show people how useful it can be to make your own workday more efficient.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 09:26 AM by zridling »

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE - IDEA: Automatic Copy when highlighted
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 08:18 PM »
Skrommel-

DragKing presents a small problem, at least for me.

Whenever I need to paste, I usually double click the word I need to replace, but on double click I highlight and so I lose the original clip.

So I decided to use ClipStep with DragKing. Problem here is that ClipStep only works with CTRL+key.

My request would be a mixture of both...

With the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader, on dragging/highlighting, after a couple milliseconds, a small icon appears where you can click if you want to copy. This is interesting because obviously you don't want to save everything you highlight (and in my case, where I highlight a word or a phrase because I want to substitute it with the text in the clipboard, it becomes impossible). To be sure, maybe the highlighted text could "flash" once to confirm the copy.

This would mean to change ClipStep to allow these types of snippets, and not only CTRL+C.

I'd enjoy discussing these possibilities further, if you think they are useful!

Cheers!
vevola

fred_co

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: Automatic Copy when highlighted
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Would it be possible to have a similar program that does the following.

When the program is active, it will monitor the keyboard focus.  When there is a telephone number in the control that has focus it will copy the phone number to the clipboard or to another app.  If there is more than one phone number, it will copy the one that is closest to the cursor.  It would be nice if this would also work for cells in excel, word documents, webpages.

Then, when we have the number, it checks to see if the number is in a list.

Thanks,
Fred

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Skrommel, the traytip doesn't seem to adhere to the tip duration specified in the settings.  (Though, the tooltip does.)  Is this able to be corrected?

I'd also like to see DragKing merged with ClipStep.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Also, DragKing is saying it has copied when I drag a file in Windows Explorer.  Even if I just rearrange the order of icons.  I don't think this occurs when using the Details view.

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 07:52 PM »
 :) I have started recoding DragKing, to make it only copy when the mouse is inside text.

The tip duration is documented in AHK's help file:
This setting is currently unreliable due to the nature of its handling by the OS.
But it could probably be improved.

Skrommel

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 03:26 AM »
Also, if I select text on a webpage then scroll the page, the text seems to be copied again.

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2006, 04:36 AM »
Hi skrommel,
1st of all, thanks for the great software!

As has been suggested above, I would like to use Dragking to paste into highlighted text by using the Paste hotkey.

It occurred to me that this could perhaps work if :
1- copy is disabled while using the paste hotkey (in my case Ctrl+mouse LB1)
2- paste hotkey allows selection by dragging or double click

So, for instance, I could copy text by drag-select/double-clicking, and then replace a 2nd text with it by by PasteHotkey drag-select/double clicking.

Right now the Paste Hotkey is instant, it occurs as soon as you click down even before you release the mouse button. Perhaps it could be more intelligent and wait for button release so as to allow drag-selection?  And perhaps wait a tiny bit and sense a possible double-click selection?

My 2 cents, hopefully it makes sense

:)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2006, 05:34 AM »
(I don't remember in which program I saw this function, but I think it might be useful universally.)

XChat for windows does this. It automatically copies every text you highlight into the clipboard. Inside of xchat you can then paste the content of the clipboard using the middle mouse button; outside of xchat you have to use ctrl+v.

Using highlight to copy and middle click to paste has been "in linux" (actually in X Windows) for longer than I use it. I find it extremely convenient, it doesn't interrupt the workflow.

Why am I mentioning this so late, after we are "DONE:"? Well, XChat is open source and one could easily take a look at source, not so easily find the code segment ealing with this and use/steal/copy/reproduce it...

Just my :two: for very late jumping into the discussion...

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2006, 04:39 AM »
Hi skrommel,
I thought a bit about my previous post about pasting into highlighted text.

Perhaps a simpler solution than what I suggested would be to simply have a "temporary disable DragKing while pressed" hotkey. That would be more useful than the current permanent disable hotkey.

Keeping such hotkey pressed would allow me to select a text without copying and after release I could use the paste hotkey tp replace it with the clipboard content.
Also it would be great if such hotkey could be only ONE key, such as Ctrl, Shift ...

What do you think?

Thanks

edit:

(alternatively there could be a Paste previous clipboard entry Hotkey or Hotkey modifier. That would work too.)

« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:02 PM by elpresi »

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2006, 07:17 AM »
 :) Absolutety possible!

Skrommel

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Great!  ;D

Looking forward to the next version!

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2007, 02:57 AM »
:) Absolutety possible!

Skrommel

Hi Skrommel,

Can you please add the hot key press feature that elpresi suggests?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

vevola

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • VeVoLa
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Skrommel and others,

I really like the icon that True-X Mouse Gizmo has (sort of a visual feedback), or like what Adobe Acrobat reader uses. Any possibility?

What do the others think?

Thanks always!

kisskiss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2007, 02:50 PM »
DragKing is a good tool, I love it a lot! But can you reduce the resource usage of DragKing? It has taken about 4M of the memory, it's consider a high resource usage for a small and simple program. :(

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007, 02:45 AM »
hello

skrommel thank you very much for this marvelous script!

some suggestions:

the script's intention is to autocopy selected text to clipboard, in other words to enable us to copy/paste without using keyboard

what should trigger it (all the ways to select text):
1) Left Mouse Button Drag to select characters
2) Double, triple etc Click (to select one word, one sentence or line, one paragraph, etc)
3) double click to select a word and the drag to select more words
4) ctrl+a to select all text
5) select by single clicking on the "line numbers" area (a feature in most text editors and word processors)

where it should store the data:
it should NOT store the selected text into the default winxp clipboard, but in an internal variable of the program, so that we wont loose the data of the default winxp clipboard
the default winxp clipboard that contains the data that is copied by the default ways (ctrl+c, copy shortcuts etc) must NOT be altered
it should manage each selection of text in a indentical memory slot (slot 1,2,3,etc)

how it should paste the data:
it should have an easy way to paste the text
this must NOT be ctrl+v or any of the default paste ways, but it must be an identical paste way (eg ctrl+1,2,3 for each memory slot), because these default paste ways must work ONLY with the default clipboard (and as I said before the default clipboard must NOT be altered)
then, we should determine an easy way to paste the text of the memory slot we need

we should be albe to customize:
the delay after copy occurs (there is a delay after finishing of selection and before the tooltip appears)
the display of words, letters, etc is useless imo, the actual text should be displayed in the tooltip/trayballoon
we also would like to customize the time and place that the tooltip/trayballoon appears

questions:
how do you make it not to interfere in ALL double clicks, but only in the SPECIFIC double clicks that occur over (editable or not) text? eg script should detect if the control we have the mouse on has editable or copiable text and then work, existence or carets or IBeams, existence and focus of forms, etc
what is the event that signals the end or selecting procedure and then triggers the copy of the selection? eg the release or the button after dragging? what about double clicks? how are distinguished from double clicks with no intention to select text?

to prevent adding text to a clipboard slot that we dont have the intention to add:
when we select text and then we click PASTE (while having selected text), in 100% of the cases we want to replace the selected text with the clipboard content
so in that occasion:
1) either the script should not store the selected text into a clipboard slot
the script should recognize if after the selection we click "paste"
then it should delete the previously saved slot (that contains the text we want to replace) or simply somehow (?) not adding it

2) or the script should store it in the clipboard slot #2 (not the first one that is the first in line) so that it wont interfere much to the clipboard slots hierarchy

3) or the script should paste the just previously saved text and not the currently selected text (the text we want to replace), when we have some text currently selected on the focused edit control (if no text is selected when we hit PASTE, it should just paste the text of clipboard slot #1)

this, imo, will prevent 90% of the circumstances that we add to the clipboard unwanted text
other occasions are, either when we select text accidentaly, or for any other reason apart from the reason that we want to store it in a clipboard slot, for example, when we highlight the text in order to make it more visible, by increasing its contrast with the background
in these cases, I cant find any other feature to prevent unwanted clipboard entries, atm
I should use the script more to be able to identify other occasions that unwanted text has been added to clipboard and how to prevent it, but for now, I think the 90% of these occasions is when we replace text by selecting it and pasting the clipboard text

one solution would be to must drag or middle click the selected text in order to add it to the clipboard, however I dont know if it can be implemented, but it would be nice, since it will preserve the only-mouse usage of the script without making it loose much of its ease

to have an easy way to choose and paste the text of each clipboard slot we need each time:

one solution would be a drop down menu (below the cursor) to select the entries we need
another imo very handy solution, would be clicking multiple times the PASTE hotkey to cycle/toggle through clipboard entries

eg, clicking CTRL+h should paste the text of clipboard slot #1, then having clicked the CTRL and clicking one more time the 'h' should replace the previously pasted text with the text of clipboard slot #2 and so on

in case we want to paste the text of clipboard slot #1 many times, we must have to release the CTRL button and then click again the hotkey CTRL+h
in case we want to paste the text of clipboard slot that we pasted last (and that its not #1), we will do it more easily if, when by having CTRL clicked, we cycle through clipboard slots and we find the one that we need and paste it, this slot should become #1 (the last usage of a specific slot should make it #1)

all the above solutions could work together and create a powerful copy/paste script that will save numerous clicks and time

PS: instead of using a hotkey to paste (CTRL+h or CTRL+v or whatever) if the scripts pastes by rightclicking or middle clicking it would be much more handy imo (and with these clicks it should cycle through clipboard slots as well)
the mouse clicks should work when an edit control is focused and when there a blinking caret exists

please refer to this post as well

thanks!

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2007, 03:28 AM »
:)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2007, 03:36 AM »
Skrommel sometimes takes breaks, but i'm sure he'll be back to read this carefully.