ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Check mail every ??? minutes"

(1/7) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
One of the really fun things about DC is how we can satisfy our whims! :D

I was surveying my email settings and when I saw the "Check mail every..." setting, I wondered how all the fine folks at DC used it. So, voila!  Here you go!

The poll is "blind" until you cast your vote to keep from being influenced beforehand, but you can change your vote later if you need to.

Enjoy!

Deozaan:
I'm not sure. I let Gmail handle it however they want to.

CodeTRUCKER:
-Deozaan (May 23, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do not use Gmail, but I suspect it is immediate because as soon as their server sees and processes it for spam, etc. it would be sent to your account.  Unless someone knows better, the checking is moment by moment so you could choose option "1" above if you want to.

Deozaan:
-Deozaan (May 23, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
I do not use Gmail, but I suspect it is immediate because as soon as their server sees and processes it for spam, etc. it would be sent to your account.  Unless someone knows better, the checking is moment by moment so you could choose option "1" above if you want to.
-CodeTRUCKER (May 23, 2009, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, sure, when I open up Gmail it immediately checks. But I tend to leave Gmail open all day in a tab, and I'm not sure how often it checks whether or not it needs to refresh itself (AJAX) because of new mail.

CodeTRUCKER:
Well, sure, when I open up Gmail it immediately checks. But I tend to leave Gmail open all day in a tab, and I'm not sure how often it checks whether or not it needs to refresh itself (AJAX) because of new mail.
-Deozaan (May 23, 2009, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

My point is that since Gmail has its own mail server I would bet it is interconnected with their other servers.  When a mail hits the Gmail mail server it processes the mail and deposits it in your account.  I can not see any benefit to delaying transferring it to your Inbox except for possible server load needs, but the delay is only seconds I would surmise.

Whether you can see new mail or not probably depends on your browser settings. 

Actually, this is all my best guess.  I await correction or confirmation of my conjecture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version