topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Freeware Image Organizer (Especially Tags/Keywords)?  (Read 62127 times)

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware Image Organizer (Especially Tags/Keywords)?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 01:39 PM »
I think Photofiltre will work for you http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm and Paint.Net is worth a look. http://www.getpaint.net/

I use Ifanview for a quick editor/viewer, and Photofiltre Studio ($ware) and PS for most of my work.

hth
2 penny Ron
-OldElmerFudd (March 29, 2009, 01:33 PM)
It occures to me there's another freeware you might be looking for; Amok Exif Sorter http://www.amok.am/e...re/amok_exif_sorter/

hth
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05 AM »
If someone already mentioned ExifPro, I apologize - didn't see it after a quick scan of the posts so far.

ExifPro is pretty nice, though IIRC it also makes a copy of all your images in its own catalog. The viewer is great and it has a side-by-side view for comparison of images. It is a commercial product but you can use it free as long as you like. Only downside is you have to wait for the startup splash screen for 45 seconds. (You can remove the splash screen by purchasing.)

Jim

JohnFredC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 03:18 PM »
Amazing to me that no one has mentioned XnView!  It is free and very powerful/configurable.  Pierre (the developer) listens closely to user requests and bug reports.  Quite a refreshing and polite forum, as well. 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 05:37 AM »
isnt xnview more of a viewer and not an organiser?

I would say ExifPro is great for looking at an image collection that isn't organised - it loads thumbnails very quickly and has a good viewer as Jim says
but:
I discussed the matter of the IMHO way too limited tagging option with the programmer years ago. It's obviously not one of his top priorities.
Create several tag files, but not too many, don't get tempted to use tags as keywords. Use other software to add exif keywords instead.
I think the tagging in ExifPro is to help you select images for printing or moving etc (i.e. short term, limited)
I think (but not sure any more at this stage - haven't used it in over a year) that the cataloging ability is mainly to help thumbnails of images load quicker
Tom

CarpeAnnum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Xnview offers database capabilities (Categories, Rating, Tags). The interface is good, it's fast and free. But you can't write database information to IPTC/EXIF, nevertheless an integrated editor for EXIF/IPTC exists und you may copy comments from database to embeded.

I took a look a this some time ago and finally bought Acdsee Pro because I wanted a full featured DB which writes it's information also to IPTC (or in XMP-Sidercars for files without IPTC).

cleroy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Try XnView - very comprehensive (free and you can use it as portable app)
Uses the IPTC tags - and you can batch tag etc.

http://www.xnview.com/en/index.html

JohnFredC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10 PM »
A very interesting approach to tagging images is employed by Viewer2.  I really like it.

ajp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Exactly unlike you, I am using FastStone and happy about it. But what I need is more editing that organizing/tagging. I second the PhotoMesa option. It's really something else! Really worth it.

siouxdax

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Non-Event: The Daniel Headrick Saga
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 09:25 AM »
A very interesting approach to tagging images is employed by Viewer2.  I really like it.

Ooh! Lightweight AND robust. That's rather alluring. Geez I love these buzzwords.
Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
AKA siouxdax

Visit my tumblog!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 05:39 PM »
My favorite application for this has always been and still is Extensis Portfolio, but it is not free and it is rather high priced. (about $200 to buy/ $100 to upgrade)

But even my old v6 (I can't afford to upgrade) does all that you want, can handle a large quantity of photos, and reads the embedded data in photos and can build keyword lists based on that data, if it exists. (great if you are getting stuff from some of the stock photo sites)

It can handle a variety of image formats, including vectors. It is also not limited to images and can be used for video, audio, and other file formats.

It also can export galleries, to web pages w/thumbnails and for burning to CD/DVD (packs a database with thumbnails, copy of photos, and a freeware version of the portfolio browser application for burning & distribution of disks)

This is a real top quality professional product and something I was glad I splurged on all those years ago, back when I could afford it. Something I have never regretted buying.

screenshot of older v6:
SNAG-00231.pngFreeware Image Organizer (Especially Tags/Keywords)?

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Some years back I started using SmartPix, back when there wasn't much else available.  I haven't kept up with my photo cataloging for over a year, but must return to that task soon.  this has been a useful thread for me -- I'll check out all of them.  BUT if smartPix still seems powerful enough, I'll stick with it, as I already have some much of my collection cataloged in it.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Does anybody know how the above mentioned Viewer2 opens folder or multiple ones for that matter? I tried it and I have to open an image then right click and cycle through the files in the same folder.

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Is there a program that can handle very large numbers of files (say, 100K), allow me to tag individual images as well as groups and/or folders with keywords/labels/categories, store the tags within the image metadata (IPTC) so that manually moving them around will not confuse the program and quickly search and display subsets by keywords and other criteria?

Built in image similarity detection will be a plus.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 07:05 PM »
XnView can do everything you ask AFAIK, excluding the ability to handle such huge number of pictures with ease, and mostly because I don't have so many to test :)

Mr.G

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 12:55 AM »
these are all great suggestions! thanks for everybody's input.  if i may take it one step further  from just cataloging to a more professional usage - any suggestions on a program that shows your individual photos along with its tags/keywords and extra info like model release and photo resizing and costing?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2009, 03:19 AM »
if i may take it one step further  from just cataloging to a more professional usage

I think that for most professionals the cataloging is as professional a usage as there is. Fundamental in the need for good workflow and managing very large numbers of images fast (and good database import/export as insurance against future changes). That's why the best programs in the area are not, and will not, be free. Most people may have smaller or lesser needs, or don't yet realise what they do need, but the people who do are particular in their requirements and willing to pay to have them met.

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 01:14 PM »
XnView can do everything you ask AFAIK, excluding the ability to handle such huge number of pictures with ease, and mostly because I don't have so many to test :)
Testing is not a problem.

Just take a picture, name it "pic.jpg" and run the following batch file in the same directory.
It will copy it 1 million times into a 2-level directory structure.
(make sure you have anough space on your drive)

@echo off
for /l %%a in (1,1,100) do (
  md dir%%a
  for /l %%b in (1,1,100) do (
    md dir%%a-%%b
    for /l %%c in (1,1,100) do (
      copy pic.jpg dir%%a\dir%%a-%%b\pic%%a-%%b-%%c.jpg
)))

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Is there a program that can handle very large numbers of files (say, 100K), allow me to tag individual images as well as groups and/or folders with keywords/labels/categories, store the tags within the image metadata (IPTC) so that manually moving them around will not confuse the program and quickly search and display subsets by keywords and other criteria?

Built in image similarity detection will be a plus.
If the freeware XnView is incapable of/insufficient for the task, you will likely have to step up to a commercial software such as ThumbsPlus- a full-featured software at http://www.cerious.com which includes similar image analysis.

Regarding freeware image viewers/organizers, I agree with Lashiec's comments. AFAIK XnView is one of very few offerings which incorporate image similarity detection (ie. finding non-binary duplicates). If other freeware image viewers with this feature exist, I too am interested in hearing about them.

@JohnFredC: My CPU spikes to 100% and stays there every time I launch Viewer2. The app looks rather unique, but I'll have to pass for now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:48 PM by sajman99 »

kurdi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I reviewed an excellent image tagger a while back:
http://www.freewareg...com/2007/08/14/itag/

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I reviewed an excellent image tagger a while back:
http://www.freewareg...com/2007/08/14/itag/
I installed iTag.  It took several hours to index the collection (Adobe Lightroom took several days...) and it felt nice and snappy.
The problem is that it does not seem to support hierarchical tags, only a "tag cloud".

I'll try some of the other recommendations as well.

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 12:18 AM »
myphotoindex might be worth a look

OK, tried that one as well.
Slower than iTag but it does support hierarchical tags and seems to work with folders as well.
Unfortunately, it did not save the tags in the EXIF/IPTC of the images.  Not good enough.

Back to iTag - when I re-run it, I found out that it did not remember the index from the previous session and expected me to index the collection again.  Epic fail.

I will uninstall both and continue searching.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00 AM »
I will uninstall both and continue searching.
keep up the good work, thanks :Thmbsup:
(guess who hasn't had time to check out all these apps :-[)
Tom

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 10:17 PM »
You might want to take a look at PhotoMesa.
(see attachment in previous post)
Link: http://www.windsorin....com/photomesa.shtml
PhotoMesa crapped on me with an exception while it was trying to index the collection.  Epic fail.
3 down, more to go...

By the way, if you know of an application that conforms to my requirement below (as in, actually tried it), please say so - it may shorten my search.

My wishlist for an organizer:
* A primarily tag/search/view application.  I don't mind if image manipulation functionality is included, but it is not a priority (I can do it using other tools).
* Fast and robust. Can work with thousands of folders and hundreds of thousands images.
* Allows for adding/moving/removing images into the tree after it was already indexed (either from inside the app or externally).
* Allows tagging whole folders or individual images.
* Tags are saved in the image files (IPTC/EXIF/etc.) in a portable way, as well as in the DB (need one for speed).
* Supports nested tags/keywords.  E.g., define "animals", "cats" and "dogs" tags.  Searching for "animals" will find images tagged as "cats" or "dogs".
* Supports complex queries (E.g., "animals" but not "birds" except "ostriches").
* Supports browsing and searching by tags and by folders.
* Allows batch setting of other metadata (comments, copyright, etc.)
* Ability to find duplicate/similar images can be a nice bonus.
* Freeware is preferred (obviously).

zevel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 07:42 AM »
http://bluemarine.tidalwave.it/
Bluemarine is not ready for the prime time, I just couldn't make it do what I want.

http://www.pictomio.com/Default.aspx
Pictomio didn't even try indexing my collection, too large I guess.
It agreed to index one subdirectory (the largest one I had) and I left it overnight.  In the morning it was stuck, taking 100% CPU and not progressing.

Both apps got uninstalled.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>