ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

<< < (11/33) > >>

lanux128:
the look-n-feel is great so far, another addition could be the ability to add and retain user-defined character length in the drop-down. i think that's about it for gui, i couldn't think of anything else right now.

do continue with the renaming part and if it's not too much, can there be a log of old and new filename(s) whenever renaming occurs? btw, this log thing is totally optional.

Target:
yes, i can see that trimming can cause certain files to have the same truncated file-names. it's a good idea that you are testing all possibilities before committing to the actual renaming. :up:
-lanux128 (March 18, 2009, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

anything else, or should i work on converting it to a a functional app?

and would you like me to try and include any of the suggestions you made for Skwires response?

lanux128:
anything else, or should i work on converting it to a a functional app?

and would you like me to try and include any of the suggestions you made for Skwires response? -Target (March 18, 2009, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

actually i don't know. :) i'm afraid that both scripts - your's and skwire's will end up as identical twins. it'd be nice if there was a different approach, maybe in addition to trimming some rules-based renaming suggestions could be added.

Target:
actually i don't know. :) i'm afraid that both scripts - your's and skwire's will end up as identical twins. it'd be nice if there was a different approach, maybe in addition to trimming some rules-based renaming suggestions could be added.
-lanux128 (March 18, 2009, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

haven't even looked at Skwires app - work impinges (how inconvenient...) - but it was inevitable that there would be similarities

predefined or rule based changes were suggested early in the piece, but how to decide which ones (so many choices, such a small gui...).  Make some suggestions...

I would like to finish this but if it's going nowhere there's not much point - while I enjoy the learning exercise and the opportunity to help out it's a waste if no ones going to use it.

Please give more feedback.  the more you give the better the final result will be...

lanux128:
yes, it'd better if there are some popular rules. i'd thought there'll be more participants giving suggestions for this type of tool. anyway, here are some of the ideas that i brought up earlier..

for repeated usage though, some rules to shorten filenames can be:
- replace given words with another
- remove whitespace, dots, underscore
- remove vowels
- truncate user-defined chars from left or right-lanux128 (March 10, 2009, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

item 4 is covered but item 2 can be used to change dots/underscore in the filename to whitespace or vice-versa. items 1 & 3 are not so useful. but you can add more characters to be removed like ` , ' # etc..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version