topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Zaine at BetaNews? Open Office Comment  (Read 6736 times)

clif_notes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
Zaine at BetaNews? Open Office Comment
« on: October 20, 2005, 11:03 PM »
By zridling
posted Oct 20, 2005 - 5:43 PM

So when is version 3.0 due, 2019? ...Other major features in version 2.0 include a completely redesigned interface that provides multi-pane views, floating toolbars and native desktop integration, all which mirrors elements of Microsoft Office.

Wait, I thought the idea is to be NOT like Microsoft Office! WTF, mate?
-BetaNews - OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final Launches

Good point Zaine. Open Office is playing catch-up most of the time. They do have some features that are better than MS Office. I'm not surprised they'd copy the most popular features.

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zaine at BetaNews? Open Office Comment
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 11:23 PM »
That's me! I worked almost two years on version 1.x and was disappointed that it took SO LONG for version 2.0 to arrive. I understand Open Source works on an entirely different pace than commercial software, but there's no "wow" factor in 2.0. It's good, but I wish they would have incorporated more ideas within Writer. Credit where credit's due: templates and styles are much better.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:55 AM »
Well.. what did you expect? MS Office is the office suite to beat. Obviously, any competitor will want to at least equal the product they're going to war with. Once they achieve that, they can add features and innovate.. or, alternatively, they could do what MS Office does, but better :). That's even harder though. All I'm trying to say is that I don't see a reason for complaint if OO is trying to catch up with MS Office.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:51 AM »
Biggest problem to me is bloat - a lot of the features are never used by 99.99999% of users.

I'd settle for MS compatible files in an app that doesn't support all the bells and whistles but works efficiently. When I start up an MS Office app I sometimes think I may as well go and make a coffee!

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Biggest problem to me is bloat - a lot of the features are never used by 99.99999% of users.

I'd settle for MS compatible files in an app that doesn't support all the bells and whistles but works efficiently. When I start up an MS Office app I sometimes think I may as well go and make a coffee!

I have found that this Suite is considerably less bloated.
http://freewarewiki....eMSOfficealternative

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 06:35 PM »
I have to confess I got very confused on their website?

At one point I was found a comparison chart between different versions of the Office apps with varying functions depending on price. When I tried to find it again I couldn't ???

The only place I can find any reference to 'free for home use' is when you click on 'Download a Trial Version'. Under pricing its says from $39.95, but nothing about free to home users. There is 'special pricing' for educational and non-profit users.

My problem is that I purchased OfficeXP (and Office 2000 before that) which I use daily and it obviously does everything that I need (and a lot more). It seems a bit daft to download a free office suite (actually this is really just WP and Spreadsheet) when MS Office is already installed - even if it does load quicker  :tellme:

Actually I have the latest version of StarOffice 8 installed (they gave me a free copy so it felt churlish not to accept!), and it is very nice. But again when I swap documents with people it is always Office format, so it makes sense to use MS Office (even though Star Office prodcues compatible files). AS a result Start Office uses up some disc space and rarely gets used!

Oh well I'll stop rambling now ...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 04:19 AM by CarolHaynes »

clif_notes

• Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005, 09:26 PM »
I have to confess I got very confused on their website?

Oh well I'll stop rambling now ...

The website is confusing. Your rambling makes more sense than most peoples attempts at logic.
Carry on ...