topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Timeline Software  (Read 29981 times)

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Timeline Software
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:56 AM »

I'm looking for software that helps to create historical timelines.

Timeline Maker Pro -> http://www.timelinemaker.com is just the ticket, but not at the $195 pricetag.

So, I'm soliciting suggestions for alternatives.  I'd like to stay with the "single purpose"-ness of this program, in that making timelines is *all* that it does.  However, to the best of my Google-fu, there doesn't seem to a lot of offerings in that area.  So, I will also take suggestions for really good Gantt chart software etc. I have to stipulate that I am *NOT* looking for full blown project management software, so I would favour "single purpose" Gantt chart making software as well.

Additionally, I am *not* interested in web based services, unless they were something I could install on my own web server ;)  And of course, OSS is preferred.  However, I'd also consider a good inexpensive alternative to Timeline Maker Pro if nothing else suitable turns up.

You folks have such wide ranging interests that my confidence is high that where I have failed, you'll succeed!

Cheers!

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Timeline Software
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:13 AM »
This is the kind of software where I could knock-out a quick, simple product in a couple days... However, I'd have to go out and buy a Gantt chart component... They start at $1,000. If anyone wants to buy a license for me, I'll knock one out real quick like for ya! ;)

But seriously, the pricing on Gantt chart components is crazy!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:30 AM »
However, I'd have to go out and buy a Gantt chart component
You can't use any of the existing open source stuff for this?

Mandork

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Hopeless or hapless?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Maybe GanttProject?  http://sourceforge.n...ojects/ganttproject/

I also saw a list of alternative approaches here: http://peltiertech.c...arts/GanttLinks.html
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
Pablo Picasso

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:39 PM »
Maybe Gantt2 by Jan Verhoeven?  His Web site appears to have moved here but it doesn't seem to be there now, hence attached (434K).

CHRISTINEVT

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Try SmartDraw. It's easy and the results look great. You can use it to make Gantt charts, timelines, etc.  You can download a free trial here:
http://www.smartdraw...als/projectchart.asp

In addition, the software does lots more, such as workflows, floor plans, org charts, mindmaps, decision trees, software design, engineering schematics, and more.

Hope this helps!
Christine

JamesPay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:58 AM »
You might also want to try Timeline Maker Basic.  It is the lower cost version of Timeline Maker Professional.  You can find that at www.timelinemaker.com as well.  It also has a 30 day trial so you can see if it will work for your needs.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:17 PM »
All good suggestions.

I thought Gannt Project was going to be the way to go, but I have found in this program and also the GANTT2 program that they are limited in how far back in time they go.

It seems you can't have a project start date more than a few days before the current calendar date.  I an understand how this works and certainly Gantt tools are for organizing into the future, however, as you can imagine this does not help me with timelines.  So it appears that Gannt software is off the list unless I can find a program a little more flexible in this regard.

Otherwise, if anyone is interested Gannt Project is quite nice - very straight forward and relatively intuitive.  For those of you who need a portable app, then GANNT2 will fill the bill.

Regarding Timeline Maker Basic, yeah it's certainly cheaper but still more than I would pay at 50 bucks.

I had a brief look at the "Alternative Methods" link and if I can't find something specific in software, this is likely the way to go. The methodologies seem largely to do with mocking up something by hand in a spreadsheet and there are certinly dozens of pages dealing with that 'round the net.

If anyone comes up with additional suggestions, I'm all ears (but I ain't no Mickey Mouse!).

BTW, if it's any help, I want to use this to make a timeline of history to a roleplaying game in which I'm involved. Ya ya, some of you are now mocking me - fill yer boots, I'm used to it ;)

Once again, thanks to all of you who have made suggestions!

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Me thinks CHRISTINEVT and JamesPay are company spokespersons. They each have one post and joined just to make that post based on their profile.

Once again, we don't mind if you work for a company. We DO mind if you don't say so thinking we aren't smart enough to figure it out.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 03:24 PM »
as tinjaw says, unlike most forums we encourage software authors to post about their programs when appropriate, we just ask that you identify yourself.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I think it's hard for some people to be straight about things. They seem to think that there is some kind of shame, or that they'll be accused of spamming. I've never seen anyone accused of spamming when being upfront and direct about things.

My first post to DC is here. My first 2 paragraphs in that post were specifically to let people know who I was. The next post from mouser started, "what a fantastic post!"

Being transparent about things is virtually guaranteed to earn you points with people, and I think that's a pretty general thing that extends beyond DC in a lot of other places as well.

Just my $0.02 though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 12:30 AM »
in all fairness - i've seen a LOT of forums where if an author comes out in a straightforward fashion and says "i think my program would be useful for this, here is the url: ..." then the very next posts are accusing them of being a SPAMMER.

personally i think that's just silly that an author can't suggest his/her own program if it's appropriate, but i've seen it quite a bit, so i can understand authors thinking that they shouldn't reveal any association with their product when recommending it.

but anyway, it's not the case on this forum -- we welcome authors to join and *when appropriate* mention their own software.  it is important that they do so within reason.  no one is going to be happy with someone who is constantly plugging their own software if that's all they do here and they jump at any remote chance to do so.  but as long as you are respectful and not obnoxious you are welcome.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 01:16 AM »
I know a few people that ONLY ever post when they're plugging themselves. It is quite annoying, and reduces any amount of respect I have. Plug away, but be a part of the community as well...

For the spamming accusation thing, I suppose that I probably just hang out in good neighborhoods where people don't flame at the first chance. ;)

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Back to the original question, I have been having really good luck with http://calizo.sourceforge.net/ from the open source community.  Really pretty cool stuff, a timeline that is zoomable  :up:
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Thanks to thomthowolf!

Calizo is doing the job.  It seems to have a couple of oddities - mouse scrolling doesn't exactly work the way I expect it to, but it's pretty much what I was looking for.

Shame though that there is really only that one product available.  Granted it's a niche to fill.

PS Thanks to everyone for not ridiculing the 50 year old RPG player ;)

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:48 PM »
You're welcome.  Glad to be of service. ;)
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Looks like I'm late to the party, but oh well.

I hadn't seen Calizo before. Nice tip! I'll have to look into it more.

Another cool timeline to check out: http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/

Web-based, but FOSS. Not really geared to printed timelines but plenty of WOW factor for dynamic ones.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Another cool timeline to check out: http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/

Web-based, but FOSS. Not really geared to printed timelines but plenty of WOW factor for dynamic ones.

Thanks Jimdoria. That's nice. And their example timeline of Judeo-Christian history ties in nicely with my question about comparing holy books elsewhere.

p.s. I think I will PM Darwin about this. And, is it f0dder that works at a museum? They'd be interested too I believe.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 11:48 AM by tinjaw »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Great - now I HAVE to get a secondary, widescreen monitor! Cool! Thanks for the heads up via PM, tinjaw  :-*

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Hm, that looks pretty cute. Dunno if the museum would have much use for it, but the boss loves technology so he'd probably demand that it was integrated on the website somehow, hehe :)
- carpe noctem

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Hm, that looks pretty cute. Dunno if the museum would have much use for it, but the boss loves technology so he'd probably demand that it was integrated on the website somehow, hehe :)
I wasn't sure if they did in-house development of multi-media stuff or if the museum had an homegrown kiosk setup for explaining the exhibits.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 06:18 AM »
Thanks for the additions kartal!

I had heard of Open Project and Open Workbench before, but they never came to mind.

Planner looks interesting in that it can be converted over to Simile which is very attractive too, but I am so totally not a programmer or *nix oriented.  I'm certain someone else will find that one interesting though.

adamb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Mac OS X users may want to check out Bee Docs' Timeline:
http://www.beedocuments.com

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 03:42 AM »
I think it's hard for some people to be straight about things. They seem to think that there is some kind of shame, or that they'll be accused of spamming. I've never seen anyone accused of spamming when being upfront and direct about things.

My first post to DC is here. My first 2 paragraphs in that post were specifically to let people know who I was. The next post from mouser started, "what a fantastic post!"

Being transparent about things is virtually guaranteed to earn you points with people, and I think that's a pretty general thing that extends beyond DC in a lot of other places as well.

Just my $0.02 though.

<threadjack>Huh, Ryan, I knew you worked for them but never saw that post.  I didn't realize most of what you put in there.  Thanks for accidentally bumping the thread</threadjack>