ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

Any new ideas for small utilities?

<< < (9/14) > >>

Scott:
Do you really need an application that let startup applications load depending on CPU load?  It probably isn't going to make startup occur faster; if anything, it will take longer, because you're forcing it to be spread out over a longer period of time.  Don't you just want it to be done with, so you can start using your system?

Scott:
I'll answer my own question and say that:  I guess it's a matter of how you want to use your system.

If you just want the startup process done and over with, you let it run the way it was designed to--let the disk and CPU get maxed out, because if your disk is only doing half the I/O it's capable of, and your CPU is only doing half the work that it's capable of, you're just slowing the startup process down if you take it easy on them.

But...  If you want to begin using your system before waiting for everything to load, then it makes sense to stretch the startup process out over a longer period of time.   I can see how that would be handy for some people.

JeffK:
Tried that one, JeffK
Difficult to set up for newbies.
And do you know how long program X needs before the next one starts? I sure didn't.  :huh:

It doesnt really do what I would like such a program to do. The key word here is AUTOMATIC.
I shouldnt need to set a spesial time setting everytime something worked its way to my startup...

This program is more a sceduler, not a tool to make your startup easier IMHO...

-Ozzy1 (April 17, 2005, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, for your needs, something that works on CPU use would be better.  I think this is good for programs that you can afford to start later.  An example would be mst Defrag discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Jeff

Scott:
mst Defrag runs as a service, and uses very little CPU time.

JeffK:
Do you really need an application that let startup applications load depending on CPU load?  -Scott (April 17, 2005, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

About the same as I need a program that does random searches on Google  ;)

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version