ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Making a dream PC for cheap (as possible) - help anyone?

<< < (9/13) > >>

Lashiec:
Good machine you have there, Deozaan.

Regarding the graphic card, 512 MB are only necessary with the latest games AND if you're running them at high resolutions. Of course, to handle all the graphic load it's necessary to have a modern and powerful card, or you have a big bottleneck. In other words, a so-so card doesn't gain anything for the extra memory, but faster memory could give you an advantage.

Notice that more isn't always better - for instance, the best bang for the buck is currently the 8800GT-512meg cards, that actually perform better than the 768-meg :)
-f0dder (February 08, 2008, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

How is that?

f0dder:
Well, 8800GTS/640 is a G80 chip, 8800GT/512 is G92.

Note that you should go specifically for the 512meg versions, as those are the ones that brought along the newer chip revisions.

Lashiec:
Ah, OK. That's true, but I thought you were talking about 8800GT/512 MB and 8800GT/768 MB, a particular model that I think it does not even exist. Oh well... ;D

f0dder:
Where did you get 768meg from? *cough* :-[

Deozaan:
So what's the real story behind ATI vs nVidia? I see you guys talking about the 8800 GT, which is nVidia, but I've always gotten ATI myself. Not for any particular reason, other than perhaps the price.

I've been kind of stingy in the past when it comes to prices, but these days I would consider spending $100-$200 on a video card. I'm more concerned about value than price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version