ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Making a dream PC for cheap (as possible) - help anyone?

(1/13) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hey everyone,

My goal here is 2 things: 1, see if anyone can help me finalize my PC (finalize meaning use all the ports the motherboard has available - all my PCI/PCIe ports are already used :P) by suggesting items that may be useful, and 2, to help other people get good deals on their computer upgrades.

As some of you may know, I have been burning an infinite hole in my pocket for the last few months in computer upgrades constant computer upgrades. Fortunately, I was able to get a decent gaming PC running for about $800 (the PC itself, a graphics card, RAM, monitor, 3 year warranty and Windows Vista Home Premium Anytime Upgrade).

But knowing me, that wasn't enough. I always want to be able to do more with my computer, no matter what it is. So I started browsing NewEgg and TigerDirect for things I might like, need, or be cool to show off (:P). After about another ~$1,325 in upgrades (totaling about $2,125), I am at my present day computer. However, I am still not happy (surprise surprise).

Despite the above amounts, I always search on at least 3 websites (the usual ones are, in order, NewEgg, TigerDirect, ClubIT, Circuit City, Best Buy, CompUSA) before I buy anything. I pay for about half of the upgrades myself, with the other half being either birthday/christmas gifts, or just random "I need this because ..." every couple months.

Right now I am looking for a good front panel 5.25" USB hub with as many ports as possible, and a front panel 5.25" temp/fan speed monitor (and controller?). I don't care who makes it, but money is the main issue (I have to wait 10 more months for my birthday to roll around again).

Anyone got ideas?

-Brandon

(BTW, you can see my current PC setup under my bio in my profile)

mouser:
I have a 5.25 front panel fan/temp monitor you can have if you want as my gift (mail me at [email protected]).

f0dder:
So... you went super cheap on the CPU, and spend tons of cash on peripherals? O_o

If your motherboard supports it, I would suggest spending ~$230 (and that's for Danish prices - it'll probably be $200 or less in .us) on a Core2Duo E8200 CPU. You won't regret that.

lanux128:
imo, dream PC and cheap doesn't go together.. when i have build my PC, usually i'd go for components that are slightly above entry-level so that i can extract more years out of it. i had bookmarked some PC buying tips and i'll post them here when i manage to dig them up.

Lashiec:
Oh, gosh, a lot of people would kill you for spending so many money and having such components in the PC ;D

I'd get a Core 2 Duo (get rid of that Pentium D!), but not the E8200, not yet, it's not even available on Newegg, and AFAIK the Wolfdale family of new Core 2 are not out yet (the Duo will be out first, the Quad is delayed), and if you can, a Radeon 3850, which has a good balance between power and cost (oh, man, you have a 2600 >_<). I don't have an idea of what to use for the front panels, but Zalman has good things in the controller area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version