ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm thinking of going primitive, with discursion into zettelkasten

<< < (55/244) > >>

Dormouse:
I've discovered that dark mode does matter to me even on a tablet. Not so much during the day but very much at night. That massively changes the programs I will use. Squid will be out. Trello isn't ideal, but I can at least access it on a dark webpage imposed by Canary - I'm surprised the app doesn't have dark mode;  I suppose corporate apps are for the day time. OneNote comes into its own; works really well in dark mode on a tablet.

Dormouse:
Maybe I'm closer to where I was going than I thought.

I now have Trello dark mode, having signed up for its beta. Should be public in a few weeks anyway.

No longer have concerns about data security.
It exports into JSON and I know that there are programs that will convert it to CSV, though I've never tried them.
And Business Class accounts can export into CSV directly. That's $120 a year but only $12.50 for a month that allows you to download it.
And, though it is itself proprietary, it mostly acts as a linker and manager utility which means working with basic documents is easier not harder.

Dormouse:
Given that I don't really use it for project management, I've been asking myself why exactly I have started to use Trello. The first answer was knowledge management, the way that the zettelkasten movement uses the term. I don't see it like that, just as I'm not convinced I want to use Luhmann's process. It could be as a souped up writers storyboard, but it isn't that either.

It does, however, go back to snippets and thoughts and relationships between them. This works for creative ideas, and for research. Unlike 'knowledge', the thoughts themselves aren't fixed and the relationships beetween them are ever developing and changing. This is the bit that Trello really works for. Sources can be fixed and live in documents. Writing is published and lives in documents. But everything about the process requires a fluidity and flexibility that Trello can provide.

And it's not really like working with index cards. When I'm on a streak, I can do much of my work in a single document in any program; I can flit from one thing to another, as I do whether I want to or not. Then copy the lot and paste into Trello using the multiple card option for everthing on a new line. Works well for the snippets. If I use a journal program, it works well for keeping the date and context. And I can do the puzzling and playing and problem solving in Trello later. Easy, efficient and flexible.  :)

panzer:
Zettelkasten vs PARA:
https://zainrizvi.io/blog/remembering-what-you-read-zettelkasten-vs-para/
https://fortelabs.co/blog/para/

Dormouse:
Zettelkasten vs PARA-panzer (May 09, 2020, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. Interesting reads.
I will admit that I didn't get far with the second before I started skimming and that I was only skimming a phrase in every other paragraph by the end. Pure salesman's spiel (I wondered if I was being sexist, then realised that no female salesperson had ever spoken at me like that). I gave up at his third wrong statement and had been constantly irritated at his exaggeration of a something that had a grain of truth to make his case seem convincing. It came as no surprise that his only achievement was setting up the business that sells this. Though that doesn't mean he doesn't have some sensible ideas. Predominantly aimed at corporates (or, given the Californian base, at people who want their own corporations).

The first encapsulated a number of issues that I have recognised in the zettelkasten movement, many of which I believe misinterpret the underlying method. I'd emphasise that I'm not a follower of the method and have no wish to defend it as such.

I think much of the problem arises from its evangelisation by people who have yet to achieve success using it and who use digital analogies that don't actually capture the essence of the method. I also suspect that it's a method that will inevitably fail for many. In the distant, but still remembered days when I was a student, I remember many students emerging from lectures with many, many pages of notes when I averaged barely half a page (pre-handout days, of course); I could never work out what they were thinking as they made these notes or what they were going to be able to do with them later. Luhmann's philosophy would seem to exclude them because it is based on a lot of thinking and tiny notes. Paradoxically it's possible that this is precisely the group most attracted to the method. I'll look at the two articles next.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version