ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tips for Windows 8 (got any?)

<< < (14/18) > >>

Curt:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htcheng.winshortcut

"Windows 8 Shortcuts Handbook"
-it seems it also may have to do with Android?

MilesAhead:
Since I posted about EaseUS ToDo Backup Free I have installed and used the latest Macrium Free version.  It natively supports W8 GPT with secure boot.  I had a 32 GB FAT32 USB 3.0 stick.  It made a WinPE bootable restore on the stick without erasing my data files.  The only part that may be a drawback for some in this process is a download of about 370 MB to get WinPE 4.0.

The other cool thing, I made a backup image with the stick as destination.  It automatically created files 4 GB max sequentially numbered.  No fuss.  I just clicked "make an image that can restore Windows" and it handled all the details.  They really smoothed out the process, at least for my Toshiba Laptop.  I also took some space from C: and made a data NTFS partition to store images and whatnot. I was very impressed.

Curt:
Get the links at Gizmo's: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/five-useful-places-learn-how-use-windows-81-better.htm

Just when you thought you had Windows 8 figured out, Microsoft went and changed things in Windows 8.1 so you had to learn yet more. Or maybe you are upgrading from an even older version of Windows. Then you have a truck-load of new features to learn. Either way, here are some places to go that will help make the transition to Windows 8.1 easier.

1. 10 new getting started tutorials for Windows 8.1
Get a quick beginning with these tutorials from the Microsoft MSDN site.

2. Articles introducing Windows 8 & 8.1 and their basic concepts
List of numerous articles on Windows 8.1 at 7Tutorials. Very substantial coverage.

3. The Metro hater's guide to Windows 8.1
Windows expert Ed Bott’s tips on what you need to do to make Windows 8.1 as desktop-friendly as possible. All of the features he describes are new or significantly changed in Windows 8.1 compared to Windows 8.

4. The desktop lover's guide to supercharging Windows 8.1
More tips on taming the Metro interface, this time from Woody Leonhard.

5. Windows 8.1 Tips
Collection of Windows 8.1 tips from Paul Thurrott.

And there you have it – some help to get Windows 8.1 working the way you want.-Gizmo~techsupportalert
--- End quote ---

tomos:
3. The Metro hater's guide to Windows 8.1
--- End quote ---
-Curt (January 16, 2014, 08:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

had to laugh at that ;D

gregmiddo:
Well... after working with Windows since version 3.0, where it was a 28 disk install (Ithink it was that many 3.5" floppies from memory) I gave Windows 8 a try for a few weeks on my new tablet (Lenovo Yoga)... I really can't understand Microsoft's logic on this version. Intuitive it is NOT! I gave up and here is my tip.
I googled for an app to make Win8 look like Win7... Tried a few, but ended up getting what seems to be the best option... Its called Start8.. Now I have my Start menu back, and everything is well in my PC world again. Windows 8.1 interface is no more. Perfect for me!!!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version