ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (54/67) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks.  I'll try to have a summary on my website soon.

superboyac:
Ugh...I was running the western digital diagnostics on my new drives, and my monitors power off because of the energy saving options.  When i press a key, only one turns on, the secondary monitor with no windows in it.  So, I press enter again, which abort the diagnostic, which was about 2 hours in!

I've always hated energy saving.  Do I need it?  WIll my monitors be in danger if I set everything in the power saving options to "never"?

By the way, yes mouser, having two huge monitors is like heaven.  It's like flying business class.  Nice suggestion, as usual.

f0dder:
superboyac: first of all, you should always press a "non-destructive" key like Ctrl or Alt when getting out of power-saving mode. Enter or Space are bad (and for DOS apps, just about any non-modifier key), since they tend to alter program state if there's a dialog or messagebox, or whatever.

As for whether you need power saving, it depends. TFT/LCD monitors are susceptible of burn-in, unfortunately. Mostly happens if you have pretty static images on the monitors for many hours a day (like the data-entry software we use at post.dk). I guess if you use your box for ~8hr/day and turn off your machine at night it isn't too big a risk, but I still personally prefer having power saving enabled.

Just remember to bring the monitors back by wriggling your mouse or hitting one of the modifier keys on the keyboard, and you should be OK :)

Carol Haynes:
I agree with f0dder.

However I also hate power saving mode and my solution is simple. Turn off power saving and use a screensaver - MS even provide a screen saver which is called "blank" which basically turns off the screen. If you fancy something less boring just point a picture slideshow (one of the standard set of MS screenavers included in Windows) at you My Pictures folder (or any folder you like) and you will get a constantly changing display of your images - tyhey fade and slide around so you shouldn't get burn in problems.

f0dder:
Why do you hate power saving mode?

One thing is that it saves your screen from burn-in, but it also reduces power consumption noticeably. Besides, preventing burn-in (and you'd want "blank" for that, not a slideshow or anything else!) is just one thing, but I expect that real power-saving mode also increases the lifetime of the back-light bulbs...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version