ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help me build my new computer, DC!

<< < (55/67) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I hate PSM because like SB found it sometimes doesn't actually return you to a usable windows desktop!

FWIW when I have used PSM I found if the desktop did not appear on a mouse wiggle switching the monitor off and on again did the trick - so the ultimate PSM is simple press the power switch on the monitor!

f0dder:
Weird, never had that issue with any system I've used/maintained (and that's a lot :)).

System standby, on the other hand, is a darn can of worms though >_<

Carol Haynes:
I never use standby on any computer - too many times I have been bitten by that little b*****r. It amazes me that they haven't yet got it right.

Too many times drivers die during 'standby' mode never to recver until you reboot.

Its slower but I prefer hibernate if you want the ultimate PSM.

40hz:
Laptops are one thing, but on a desktop, the only power saving feature I use is to turn off the monitor after 20 minutes. The screensaver is set to blank after 10 minutes.

If I'll be [away/sleeping/goofing-off] for more than an hour, I just do a shutdown. :P

I'm more inclined to go with "greener" technologies (such as lower-power CPUs etc.) if I'm going to get serious about energy savings. Especially since most of my stuff doesn't sit idle enough for long enough to benefit - and PSM still has problems despite its age. You'd think they'd have it fixed by now.

------

And yes, as f0dder noted, you should use one due to the risk of possible screen burn. :)

superboyac:
ayy...it happened again.

The problem I'm having is that I have two monitors, the diagnostic is shown on the primary monitor and the other monitor is blank (extended desktop mode).  When I move the mouse or press a key to turn the monitors back on from standby, only the secondary one turns on.  I have to physically turn the primary monitor off and on using the power button to have it appear again.  Why doesn't it act the same as the secondary monitor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version