ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA small script to set a timer to startup jkdefrag.exe when computer idle for

<< < (3/5) > >>

y0himba:
You could use Windows built in task scheduler, set it to run the task when idle and stop the task when the computer isn't idle or on mouse movement. Easiest way to do it.  Or, you can use JKDefragGUI which sets this up for you.

If you want to use JKDefrag only: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
If you want to use it's successor MYDefrag: http://www.wieldraaijer.nl/MyDefragGUI.html

Both include a ton of options and the ability to schedule a defrag. 

Be sure to check out the rest of the freeware available on those sites.  Good stuff.

wr975:
I don't understand what's wrong with the JK/MyDefrag "screen saver" solution?

* It starts the JK/MyDefrag GUI and defrags if the PC is idle and stops if the user returns. Other solutions (task scheduler, IdleStart, ...) would keep the defrag task running if the user returns
* It will start another screensaver after defrag finishes. If someone hates screensavers and won't use any energy savings option, just select the LogOn or Black Screen screensaver.
* And - nice feature: "Do not run if the last completed run was less than xx hours ago". Other solutions would start defragging again and again...

@jgpaiva
Agree 100%! I defrag my system partition once a month... ;)

MilesAhead:
You could use my IdleStart application. It will launch whatever you configure it to, after the length of idle time you configure passes. So it sort of acts like a screensaver, but for opening files and launching applications. (there is no actual screensaver involved)

I was more thinking of idle away time.  You know...if you haven't moved the mouse for ten minutes, fire up the defragger.  Chances are you're away from the desk and don't really care about CPU or disk usage at that point.
-skwire (August 25, 2009, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is exactly what my IdleStart application does.

-app103 (August 25, 2009, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

What defines "idle" ??
If it also includes disk usage then I'd be very interested.

MilesAhead:
You could use Windows built in task scheduler, set it to run the task when idle and stop the task when the computer isn't idle or on mouse movement. Easiest way to do it.  Or, you can use JKDefragGUI which sets this up for you.

If you want to use JKDefrag only: http://www.emro.nl/freeware/
If you want to use it's successor MYDefrag: http://www.wieldraaijer.nl/MyDefragGUI.html

Both include a ton of options and the ability to schedule a defrag. 

Be sure to check out the rest of the freeware available on those sites.  Good stuff.
-y0himba (August 25, 2009, 09:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you are going to do it that way I suggest making the Idle period longer than it takes the burn a Double Layer DVD if you do such burns.  It's very easy to forget a scheduled task.  With a DVD burn you're not hitting the keyboard or mouse once it starts usually, and even though the HD is accessing with a solid LED the system will show as idle.  There needs to be disk access measurement for this stuff to be trustoworthy imho.

Either that or you just have to remember it's on there and set the idle time longer than any task you are going to run unattended.

app103:
You could use my IdleStart application. It will launch whatever you configure it to, after the length of idle time you configure passes. So it sort of acts like a screensaver, but for opening files and launching applications. (there is no actual screensaver involved)

I was more thinking of idle away time.  You know...if you haven't moved the mouse for ten minutes, fire up the defragger.  Chances are you're away from the desk and don't really care about CPU or disk usage at that point.
-skwire (August 25, 2009, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is exactly what my IdleStart application does.

-app103 (August 25, 2009, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

What defines "idle" ??
If it also includes disk usage then I'd be very interested.

-MilesAhead (August 25, 2009, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

User idle time, as defined by how long it has been since a human* has interacted with the pc, either by use of the keyboard or mouse.

In theory it would be a human, but of course it could also be a cat, dog, space alien, earthquake, asteroid hitting desk, or some other force that causes the mouse to move or keys to be pressed on the keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version