ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA small script to set a timer to startup jkdefrag.exe when computer idle for

<< < (2/5) > >>

delwoode:
O.K. seems like its not the best idea i could have had!!  best to drop this.
What made me think of it  - is because some of the bigger expensive disk defraggers defrag in the  background when the computer is idle, sort of a bit at a time to keep your pc drives unfragmented.  But your right it would be hard to decide what was idle, low cpu usage, low hard drive usage etc.

skwire:
I was more thinking of idle away time.  You know...if you haven't moved the mouse for ten minutes, fire up the defragger.  Chances are you're away from the desk and don't really care about CPU or disk usage at that point.

app103:
You could use my IdleStart application. It will launch whatever you configure it to, after the length of idle time you configure passes. So it sort of acts like a screensaver, but for opening files and launching applications. (there is no actual screensaver involved)

I was more thinking of idle away time.  You know...if you haven't moved the mouse for ten minutes, fire up the defragger.  Chances are you're away from the desk and don't really care about CPU or disk usage at that point.
-skwire (August 25, 2009, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is exactly what my IdleStart application does.

skwire:
Bingo.  =]

jgpaiva:
I'm not sure about what I'm about to say, but I'm sure if f0dder sees this he may provide more details.
I believe it's not a good idea to be defragmenting the disk every time the PC idles, for 2 reasons:
- The constant strain on the disk will probably make it fail sooner
- NTFS already tries to keep a low fragmentation. I would say "it never needs defrag", but I would probably be wrong, so I say it "seldom needs defrag" :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version