topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ultraedit; how to highlight entire line of active line when wrapped?  (Read 17491 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A lot of text editors I've tried will highlight the entire active line when it is wrapped, even though it is physically taking up the space of more than one line in the editor.  Ultraedit doesn't do this, it only highlights a single line, even if it's part of a wrapped multi-line block.  Is there a way to change this because I couldn't figure it out.

A lot of editors  (Notepad++, PSPad) will highlight all the lines of a wrapped line when the cursor is placed on it, and it will make the actual line that the cursor is on a slightly different color than the other lines so that you know which physical line you're on.  This is very nice, and i can't believe that Ultraedit can't do this.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting, EditPad Pro doesn't seem to do this either (at least not in a default setup). I've licences for both and will take a look at UltraEdit, too. In the meantime, check out the UltraEdit forum.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything about it.  Mabe I'm one of the few that likes this, but it's interesting to see it on a lot of the freeware text editors.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
If you're talking about selecting a wrapped line, you can just save this little macro and assign it to a keystroke.

UnixReOn
Key HOME
Find RegExp Select "\p"

For me, much of the appeal of UltraEdit comes from its old-but-powerful macro language, and now it even has scripting capabilities (which I don't use).
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, that's not what I mean.  It's merely a visual thing, it has no functionality.  Let's say your cursor is somewhere in the middle of a wrapped line; instead of only highlighting the line the cursor is on, it will highlight the entire line (no matter how many multiple physical lines it is wrapped on).  It's just a good way of seeing the whole line when you're using wrapping.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
I understand now.  Can't help you with that one.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
I sent a feature request to IDM.  Got this answer back:

"Hi Mike,

Thank you for your message and the request.  I'm not sure what changes
would be required to support this option, but I will ask our developers
to consider this as an optional setting for a future release.

Thanks, Troy"

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Mike!  That was very nice of you.

Yeah, it's a useful visual tool.  it wouldn't be that hard to implement actually.  All it would take is to add an additional item in the "color settings" dialog for active line color for wraps.  I'm surprised no one's ever mentioned it after 13 versions!