topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Volunteer to help me with some (blog-related) posting on daily basis?  (Read 4035 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ken and I have been working as a team to post interesting web finds for the DC blog (http://blog.donationcoder.com), but ken is taking a well deserved break so i need to find another person to team up with until Ken comes to his senses.

Basically i (and maybe others) would email you a few interesting urls per day, with a brief word or two, and you would basically visit the webpage and if you agree it's interesting, make a little post on the forum (in the appropriate section) about it, with a screenshot.  Sometimes adding a quote from the page, and/or your own comments about why it's interesting.  I usually then tag the post as being an official blog item which will show on the http://blog.donationcoder.com page, but if you want to do that part also that would be even better.

Ken has been using Screenshot Captor to add the screenshots, which makes life a bit easier as the thumbnail button will resize, create a border, and copy the screenshot path to the clipboard for easy pasting in the DC forum new post form.  The "webfind template" drop down box on the new post form also makes it a lot easier to make these posts, but it's still a bit of work to be doing this 4 or 5 times a day.

Being able to add an informed opinion to the posts would definitely help, as would finding cool things to post about on your own from the world of the web, but that's not strictly required.

Anyone want to volunteer? I'll give you a little crash course on the procedure if so (or ken can!).  Rewards = fortune and fame and the forum's heartfelt appreciation, minus the fortune and fame.

If you are interested and willing to do it for at least a month, drop me a message via the forum or email ([email protected]).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:03 PM by mouser »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Really none???

Are people scared off by the 4-5 times per day?? I know it made me hesitant.

It's not something that a group of people could do? Have somewhere on DC that'd act as a ToDo list which can be accessed by the "group". That way too, if more than one is doing it, more freedom to chose the sites you know something about/more interested in??

just a thought  ;)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
I am sure that I could help out here... though not on my own, since there are times when I have to disappear for several days at a time.

But when I am at my PC I check DC frequently, and read the majority of posts.

I like Perry's idea, that blog posts should ideally be added by a member who has some interest or knowledge of the topic in question.

Hopefully we can gather a small group together who can share the responsibility.

Ampa

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i actually PM'ed mouser saying that i will be available but unfortunately not all the time.. :) but Perry's suggestion is a good one, maybe we can have a duty roster for this..

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's nice to see some interest  :)

I'm certainly interested enough to discuss different options of sharing the work, so I can put my hand up for that.

I guess I'm in a similar position to most other people: I often check DC most days though the amount of time I have available varies quite a bit (and is pretty unpredictable).

I'd think if we had a target of 4-5 posts per day per team and it was pretty flexible to pick the ones that "suited" then that could end up 1-2 each per day (on average)?

If the workflow worked out so that there could be some sort of ToDo area that the generation of prospects could be quite separate to the generation of posts as well? I'd think that if there was a good supply of prospects that that would help the generation of posts as well (that is always having a site that suited your interests).

Anyway: I'd be interested to know what technical options would be possible?