ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Desktop chaos please help

(1/4) > >>

nite_monkey:
Desktop chaos please help
As you can see with the attached picture, I have a lot of desktop icons. I was hoping that someone had a program that would let me organize my icons between my two monitors. (better than the windows arrange icons by menu you get when you right click on the desktop, when align to grid is on I can't put icons on my second monitor) If someone could help me out here, I would really like that.

p.s. Yeah, its a bad quality image, I shrunk it in paint, to lazy to wait for photoshop to load, the small little program that you see in the bottom middle is at the bottom left of my second monitor.

tinyvillager:

I would suggest getting into a quick launch alternative like mouser's LaunchBar Commander or True Launch Bar
and then maybe a file manager like XYplorer...

List of file managers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_managers

Carol Haynes:
I dump everything in a single folder on the desktop - then right click on the toolbar and add a new toolbar by pointing it at that folder. You then get a cascading menu (a bit like the start menu which you can drag stuff about in) and because the source folder is on the desktop it is easy to drag stuff in there, open the folder and reorganise stuff as you want.

It also has the advantage that you can keep your destop clean so you can use it as a genuinely useful temporary dumping ground!

iphigenie:
Yes, i have 0 icons on my desktop apart from the recycle bin, and really when i think of it i'd rather hide that too. After all it's covered in windows most of the time and it's a pain to have to minimize apps to find things.

But there are really 2 types of users - the ones who keep the desktop pristine and use menu tools, keyboard macros etc. to access things, and the people who like to have everything spread out on their desktop - after all it's quick to trigger "show desktop" and there are also tools that give you pop up lists of all that's on the desktop so it also works pretty well as an organisation scheme too.

I have never seen a tool that allows to split icons on 2 monitors, but obviously i have never looked for one. I know tools that can save a layout though, and restore it, that might work? Also I wonder if somehow you could use a "virtual desktop" tool to get the effect. There are virtual desktop tools that allow you to set different icons per virtual desktop, so if any of those allows a different VD per screen you're set.

Another option would be somethink like desktopX but that'd be way overkill I think.

nite_monkey:
I like Carol's idea. I can also put all the icons into different folders like a folder for games, a folder for installation files, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version