topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PixiShot photo manager (from WebSite-Watcher author)  (Read 4991 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PixiShot photo manager (from WebSite-Watcher author)
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Just noticed this announced last week. It is from the author of WebSite-Watcher, which should make it worth checking out:

http://www.pixishot.com/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PixiShot photo manager (from WebSite-Watcher author)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:14 AM »
In my square little mind it is important that the full name is: PixiShot - Photo Manager and Editor
-because I would never want a manager, but I do want an editor ;-) But will I want this at €35?  :-\

• PixiShot is derived from: "pictures I shot" ⇒ "pics I shot" ⇒ "pix I shot" ⇒ PixiShot

A snippet from "Features" (http://www.pixishot.com/features.htm):

PixiShot is not the right tool for you...

if you're looking for a RAW development tool. PixiShot can only edit JPG and 8bit TIF images. RAW files can however be displayed.

if you're looking for a database solution where you can search all your images for certain tags. PixiShot doesn't use a database where all your images are stored. There's no need to import images into a database, just open a folder on your hard disk to view and work with your images.

if you want to save your images with certain color profiles. PixiShot uses sRGB, images with other color profiles are converted to sRGB automatically.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PixiShot photo manager (from WebSite-Watcher author)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:18 PM »
I gave it a quick go -
it is very nicely made.

Reminded me a little of ExifPro which is really designed to work through a batch of images and select the best for editing in external editor. But this one has it's own editor too - I liked the internal editor a lot actually.

There is an "Automatic" button which shows four different possible edits - these are preset but can be replaced with your saved presets - not sure how on-the-fly this can be done.. Presets are on the left when editing: the plus button allows you to add current edit settings as a new preset (logical but took me a while to figure it out).
Once presets are saved, you can change  them when in the Automatic view (with four images on screen). It would be nice if this could be done more on the fly - edit a bit, save one preset/version; do a little more, etc, in the end compare four edits and choose the best.

With apologies if I missed any of the following:

• Has customisable shortcuts, but doesnt warn you if they already in use - it just removes the shortcut from it's previous location.
  • The workspace doesnt seem to be re-arrangable - e.g. the 'film strip' shows at the bottom of the screen: working on a laptop, this takes away a lot of valuable height pixels. It would be great if that could be shown another way e.g. vertically.
  • Also missing in an app like this is compare images: e.g. split screen with two different images - ideally lock zoom and panning so one can compare similar images to choose the best.

Would be interesting to see how it copes with a lot of images. It doesnt show sub-folder contents, so I cant really (easily) stress it on this machine :)
Tom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 03:52 PM by tomos, Reason: typos »