ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movies you've seen lately

<< < (61/182) > >>

Renegade:
Alice in Wonderland

I've been watching this a few times lately as I play it for my daughter.

And I must confess, I'm a bit of a freak for Lewis Carroll's Alice stories. They're simply brilliant.

This is always worth watching again every now and then. It never gets tired or worn or old.

My guess is that most people here have seen it at least once. I suppose I'm just posting as a silly reminder about how much fun it is.

40hz:
Regarding Entity, one complaint...

The sound guys.

Creepy sound effects 20~30 dB above the speaking level doesn't work well. We actually want to hear what the people say.

-Renegade (June 11, 2014, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree 100%. There were several times when I wished I could switch on subtitles. ;D

40hz:
Alice in Wonderland
 (see attachment in previous post)
I've been watching this a few times lately as I play it for my daughter.

And I must confess, I'm a bit of a freak for Lewis Carroll's Alice stories. They're simply brilliant.

This is always worth watching again every now and then. It never gets tired or worn or old.

My guess is that most people here have seen it at least once. I suppose I'm just posting as a silly reminder about how much fun it is.

-Renegade (June 11, 2014, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That one is in my collection. And Alice is good enough that even a Disney adaptation didn't hurt it.

Movies you've seen lately

When she gets a little older try reading her Carroll's Sylvie and Bruno books. In addition to being a multi-level children and adult story, it's also one told using multiple realities. (Available from Project Gutenberg btw.)

more on that here(excerpted form a longer essay which can be found here)

Alice, unlike other Victorian child protagonists, is critical, defiant, and self-assertive. She is the only one to stand up to the arbitrary and domineering Queen. "The underlying message of Alice, then, is a rejection of adult authority, a vindication of the rights of the child."<11> This, not its nonsense, is the truly subversive element in the Alices.

Nearly a quarter century later, in the two volumes of Sylvie and Bruno (Sylvie and Bruno was first published in 1889, Sylvie and Bruno Concluded in 1893) Carroll launched an attack on the Victorian novel that was perhaps even more subversive. Gathering together diverse materials to include in them, Carroll called the result "litterature," and he challenged the reader to identify the "padding" in the stories. "Victorian novels," as Gattegno observes, "would never dream of describing themselves in this ironic and even sacrilegious way."<12> Nor would most Victorian writers dare to begin as Carroll does, in midsentence: "--and then all the people cheered again" (a device Joyce picked up for the opening of Finnegans Wake). Carroll introduces self-reflexive mannerisms that anticipate Joyce, Queneau, Beckett, and the whole line of artifice-oriented modern writing. For example, when the narrator first encounters Lady Muriel, he reflects: "And this, of course, is the opening scene of Vol. 1. She is the Heroine. And I am one of those subordinate characters that only turn up when needed for the development of her destiny."

But the most radical element of the novel is its simultaneous, separate, yet mysteriously corresponding plots, which take place in separate planes of reality that shift with dizzying abruptness, as Anne Clark explains:

Dodgson hinges his story on an intricately worked-out series of hypotheses. First, that besides the world in which we live there exist two others: its counterpart, called Outland, whose society is a kind of burlesque of the real world, and Fairyland as we all understand it. Second, that human beings, unseen and in a state of trance, may observe people and events in Outland, and that in another state, which Dodgson describes as "eerie," they may participate in adventures in Fairyland, without losing consciousness of events in the real world. Thirdly, time may reverse or stand still, and fairies may assume human form. The links between Outland and the real world are the narrator, who passes back and forth between the two, and Sylvie and Bruno, alternately appearing in fairy form or as human children.<13>

The main story lines of the novels concern an attempt by the warden of Outland to usurp the birthright of the fairy children Sylvie and Bruno, and the rivalry of Captain Eric Linden and Dr. Arthur Forester for Lady Muriel Orme, in the English town of Elveston. The first plot has the form of a folktale, the second the form of a romance, but Carroll quickly undermines ordinary expectations of these genres. Characters on one level suddenly transform into equivalent, yet distinct, characters on another level: indeed, the very nature of character is challenged, as Carroll explores the borderline between dreaming and waking, probing the limits of language and logic.
--- End quote ---

Flat out brilliant even if not as humorous or zaney as the Alice adventures.

Funny thing...I've found many adults are stumped or just "don't get" Sylvie and Bruno. But when I read it to my niece when she was 5, she instantly caught on to what was going on and could follow it. She even corrected me at one point when I got confused and pointed out that a character was only dreaming the Fairyland - and wasn't fully in it at that point.

Sylvie clung to one arm; while Bruno, on the opposite side,
was pushing him with all his strength, with many inarticulate
cries of  “Gee-up! Gee-back!

That's my niece! Zen master from birth, and a natural shaman if there ever was one. ;D

IainB:
@40hz: Now that is interesting. Thanks.

Renegade:
Somebody has compiled a list of underrated sci-fi flicks:

Underrated Sci-Fi Films of the 2010's (So Far)

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls058963651?ref_=ttpl_rls_5

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version