Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 31, 2014, 08:37:37 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: NANY 2013 Pledge - Progress Bars of Life - v1.06.01 - December 31, 2012  (Read 13371 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:01:39 AM »

Progress Bars of Life lets you create a set of custom progress bars that will graphically show the progress towards different events in your life.

You can create as many progress bars as you like, and display them in various ways -- for example, docked to the edge of a screen and always visible, or invisible and shown on command.

Create progress bars that show things like how close you are to the weekend, to your birthday, to your graduation, to your due date, until your death, till the end of the current hour, etc.

Some screenshots:

Early alpha for those who want to experiment.

v1.06.01 - December 31, 2012
  • Right-click option to copy summary of progress bar times to clipboard.
  • New layout options
  • [BugFix] Floating window position was not being remembers.
  • Better instructions on Progress Bar item tab of options; clearer list of items.
  • Support for progress bar theme files so users can customize the look of their bars

v1.03.01 - December 5, 2012
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes
  • Added "Check for updates" to menus
  • Did away with unnecessary dock rebuilding when applying option changes.
  • Improved guage smart text for time durations.

DOWNLOAD:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:57:05 AM by mouser » Logged
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »

Seriously excited.
I don't know why i like to watch progress bars, but I do.  I just hope it's not a form of mind control  Sad.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »

I don't know why i like to watch progress bars, but I do.

well then this tool is for you.
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:05:54 AM »

If you do include some sort of mind control, can it have something to do with hot exotic chicks?

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »

can it have something to do with hot exotic chicks?

Chris
superboyac
Charter Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »

Grin cranio...well, I suppose that is literally what I asked for!

Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »

here you go...

of course it's beta so there might be a few bugs...

apologies to mouser for hijacking his thread...

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:45:16 AM »

Teaser screenshot, of the display window docked to the top of my screen:

Colors and looks will eventually be adjustable.

Obviously you can add as many bars as you want -- that's the whole point.  You can show the bars in a window or docked to the side of a screen.

The most common kind of bar is one where you set a start and end date and it tracks progress; you can also set a manual range and position for things that aren't date based.

You can also tell the bar how to repeat when it reaches the end -- so you can use progress bars for each minute/hour/day/month/year, and they will reset and cycle as they complete.

Potential future features:
  • An API so you do things like fetch some web data to retrieve progress position.
  • Ability to read or import standard calendar files so user can easily import important dates.
  • Other features
Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »

Nice Thmbsup

The lifespan bar is perhaps a bit ominous? ohmy

Also, there is perhaps some ambiguity in percentages "until" something -- like the Until Christmas bar, if there is 94% until Christmas doesn't that sound more like only 6% of the time has passed so far?

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »

Yeah thats just me picking bad labels -- but you assign your own labels so call them what you will.
And of course the progress value depends on what the start date is..  Presumably you would set the start date to something useful.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:30:11 AM »

You can also tell the bar how to repeat when it reaches the end

Cool! An app that provides immortality through reincarnation!  Grin

Not if mouser is making it possible to repeat it.  Wink

Jibz
Developer

Cold Warrior

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:06 AM »

If they are all based on time, maybe let the user optionally specify a time formatting string to use instead of the percentage as text on the bar? I mean, so you could make it say "21 days" instead of "94%" on the Christmas bar, or "41 min" instead of "69%" on the Left in Current Hour bar.

Not if mouser is making it possible to repeat it.  Wink
Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:57:19 AM by Jibz » Logged

"A problem, properly stated, is a problem on it's way to being solved" -Buckminster Fuller
"Multithreading is just one damn thing after, before, or simultaneous with another" -Andrei Alexandrescu
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:40 AM »

could make it say "21 days" instead of "94%" on the Christmas bar, or "41 min" instead of "69%" on the Left in Current Hour bar.

that is a very good idea, putting it on todo list.
anandcoral
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »

Very good idea and app.

Can think of using it as 'countdown' for my projects, which I generally miss.

Regards,

Anand
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »

Can think of using it as 'countdown' for my projects, which I generally miss.

I was thinking along these lines as well.
With that in mind, would it be possible to make it like a resizeable toolbar that you could drag the corner and end up e.g. with 1x2 or 2x4 or 1x4 format

you could even have it like the new docking auto-hide SC "Quick Capture Bar" (could you reuse the code?)

Tom
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 03:42:35 PM »

you could even have it like the new docking auto-hide SC "Quick Capture Bar" (could you reuse the code?)

already done -- you can configure it as an auto-hiding dock.

however it is a good idea to let the user set the width and let it flow multiple bars on one line -- that's something i didn't think of and will add.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »

ok here's horizontal band style, dock to top of screen:
TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:22:54 PM »

If they are all based on time, maybe let the user optionally specify a time formatting string to use instead of the percentage as text on the bar? I mean, so you could make it say "21 days" instead of "94%" on the Christmas bar, or "41 min" instead of "69%" on the Left in Current Hour bar.

Do you really want it counting down the days left in your life?!  ohmy
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »

Do you really want it counting down the days left in your life?!  ohmy

Since there's only 17 days left until Global Armageddon, why not?

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:02 PM »

With Jibz suggestion of showing times remaining in bars (it's an option):
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »

Another view, docked again to top of screen:

And another:

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 03:45:49 AM »

Great Thmbsup

another request -
the ability to show how long since something happened

Tom
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 06:06:36 AM »

done.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:42:41 AM by mouser » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:42:34 AM »

I see the bars are different lengths - is that user-modifiable or automatic some way?
Also see different text on different bars - same query for that.

e.g.
15 wks, 5 days, 29 mins, 12 secs to go
would take up a lot less space than the same info using the full words with 'remaining' at the end.

(I know that you wouldnt have all that info on one line - but the point still valid)

Tom
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »

I see the bars are different lengths - is that user-modifiable or automatic some way?
yes, there are various options for that.

e.g. 15 wks, 5 days, 29 mins, 12 secs to go
i'll have to add some settings for that; perhaps just simply a choice of long and short text modes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.057s | Server load: 0.14 ]