ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Just curious - what's the difference between FARR and UltraSearch

(1/4) > >>

vsub:
In speed of finding files...can FARR search this way too
I tried the widow search,FARR search and XYPlorer search but all of them are not nearly as fast as UltraSearch

C:\ - 46907 Files and 9605 Folders
D:\ - 22649 Files and 1344 Folders

69556 Files
23993 Folders
All of the programs are searching hidden/system folders too and no one of them are using any filters to make the search faster...I also restarted the PC and disable the indexing service before the test

Explorer -  1 minute and 47 seconds(after all of the tests I set the indexing service to manual and stop it and then the files were find for 60 seconds)
XYPlorer - 12 seconds
FARR - 16 seconds
UltraSearch - Almost 2 seconds

32 files

No matter what I try UltraSearch always find the files almost immediately(even just typing .exe)

cyberdiva:
How does UltraSearch compare with Everything Search?  I find Everything extraordinarily fast, but I've never tried UltraSearch.

vsub:
Everything is unbelievably fast(it's either the same speed or faster)
I just started the program and I didn't change any settings...the program first scanned the hdd really fast and give me a list of all of the files I have on it and then when I just paste the same name I used for the other program,the result appear in an instant

All those files and folders and the database file that the program creates is ~500kb

db90h:
The search algorithm used is most likely the difference. You see, when the data is cataloged, the efficiency of the format in which it is stored (the data tree/algorithm) determines how fast it can later be recalled. This is CS 101. A bad algorithm can take 100 seconds and a good algorithm 0.1 seconds, that is how big a difference there is. Of course, the algorithms aren't rated in 'seconds', but rather in O notation, which I'll spare you the details of (basically a way to mathematically represent how long a search takes).

That is why explorer takes so long when you turned off indexing, it is doing a linear search, the slowest possible.

Other factors can also play a role. Such as the amount of data indexed. Some of these products may index more data than others. Etc...

vsub:
Ok thanks for the explanation but why FARR is not maded to work for example like Everything(~500kb database for more than 60000 files is extremely small cost)...is there is something bad about the method Everything uses and that's why FARR is not searching that way too?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version