Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 30, 2014, 02:14:59 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: xplorer¬≤ 2.0: First beta versions around - Here comes the news.  (Read 2653 times)
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:50:46 AM »

I was asked to give the new x² beta versions a short review. Here it comes!
xplorer² has already been discussed here in the past, so I will focus on the actual news in this version.

First, x² v2.0 is still a beta version, meant to find and squash bugs before release.

The majority of planned changes is already implemented though, the most significant one is docking.
You can drag every single panel around, make it even floating, which is especially nice for people who use the two-panel mode.

As you might see, the preview panel has also been improved a lot. Its "native" view uses Windows' own preview handlers for all known file types, so buggy third-party preview handlers won't crash x² anymore. Also, there's automatic resizing now.

xplorer² has been my primary file manager for a while. With v2.0 it makes another long step compared to its competitors.
The only thing that has still not been improved is the handling of Windows' namespaces, so assigning x¬≤ to folders like the Control Panel (via registry) does not always work, "Windows Update", for example, will show up as an empty folder. But that is rather common among file managers, so doing that is not recommended anyway.  cheesy

A pity I only own one license. On the other hand, there's still XYplorer.  Cool

x² 2.0 discussion topic

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Lutz_
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

Thanks Tuxman for the insights.
I am using the old xplorer2 and guess I would certainly appreciate improved previews.  I am not so sure about floating windows - to me one big advantage of commander style file managers has always been the structured all-in-one-view and the fact that it mostly avoids flipping through hidden and overlapping windows.  For example I might like the another file manager best for its intuitive features (AC Browser Plus), if it were not for its independently floating and overlapping panes.
Tuxman
Supporting Member

OMG not him again!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:20:26 PM »

The "feature" that you can make any panel "floating" is a side-effect of making them draggable. AFAIR AC Browser Plus doen't let you disable all that overlapping - x² does. smiley

I bet when Cheetahs race and one of them cheats, the other one goes "Man, you're such a Cheetah!" and they laugh & eat a zebra or whatever.
- @VeryGrumpyCat
Lutz_
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »

Drag-able panels could indeed be convenient.  You are right about ACB Plus.
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

Version 2.0 final has now been released.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't qualify for an upgrade price discount (as I bought xplorer2 over 2 years ago), but was pleasantly suprised to see that you can get the Pro version for free using the TrialPay system.

I browsed the TrialPay offers and was able to find one that was entirely free (just required me to sign up for a product trial, which I then declined to take up).

I've received my license key, and so far have not been inundated with spam - so all in all I think I got a good deal!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.03s | Server load: 0.25 ]