ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Password protect folder using right-click context menu

(1/2) > >>

mstabile:
In windows, I wish there was a simple way to password-protect a folder.  I would right-click a folder and the context menu would allow me to assign (or remove) a password to open a folder.  Subsequently, whenever anyone tries to open the folder, they would need to enter a password.

Also, password entry would be bypassed in cases of moving a folder to another location on the drive, or when copying or backing up the folder.

Finally, if the folder is copied or moved, the password protection would still remain (as part of the folder's properties).  So if someone copies the folder (e.g. for nefarious reasons) they still couldn't access the files without the password.

I'm a budget manager in a hospital and I have numerous confidential files on my desktop and would like to have a way of adding a layer of protection.

Thank you very much for your consideration of my request!

Mike

skwire:
This is not a trivial thing to program so I would recommend you look at the following applications:

AxCrypt: http://www.axantum.com/
TrueCrypt: http://www.truecrypt.org/

4wd:
Wouldn't it be easier to set a decent password on the account and, (IIRC), then answer Yes to Make all my files private?

And don't lose the password.

AndyM:
I can see how this could be handy - quick access and the ability to have a different password with each folder.

Ath:
I have numerous confidential files on my desktop
-mstabile (March 03, 2011, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's where the confusion is: You shouldn't store documents on your desktop. They ought to go in the (My) Documents folder, that is supposedly stored on the network-server (assuming you have a Windows Active Directory controlled network), so you can access them from any place you logon to the network. Password protecting the PC is a natural and enforced requirement, including screensaver lock, I reckon. If you don't have these facilities, then your administrator has made a few mistakes...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version