ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why do we always wait for apple's stuff before making a i[blank]-killer??

<< < (5/12) > >>

40hz:
There used to be a (possibly apocryphal) story told during the fast-food heyday.

It said that McDonalds routinely spent millions on research and demographic analysis before siting and building new restaurants.

BurgerKing, on the other hand, supposedly did nothing other than to keep track of the locations of any new McDonalds restaurants - wait and see how well they did - and then open one of their own franchises as geographically close as possible should any turn out to be a popular location.

hmmm....

Maybe it's true the early bird catches the worm. But experience shows the tardy bird often eats just as well - and gets to sleep a lot later!

;D

wraith808:
e.g. Apple can polish a turd and their drove of fawning accolades will flock in mass (like lemming) to buy the silly POS. While the rest of the industry is stuck doing things the old fashioned way - Trying to come up with a useful product that people actually need.
-Stoic Joker (June 06, 2010, 12:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that there is a fundamental difference between companies like Apple and Sony.

Sony is a consumer electronics company.

Apple is a religion cult.

Seriously.

Apple is very far from being the innovator that the fanboys tout it to be. Apple is good at 1 thing, and 1 thing only. It takes good ideas that failed, repackages them in a super-sexy outfit, then pimps them out to its followers.

The tablet isn't new. The iPad is just a tablet with better marketing to the Cult of Apple followers, and those that are wannabe cult members.
-Renegade (June 06, 2010, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

If so, then why do so many non Apple people that I personally know 'get it' as far as the iPad is concerned?  It's not a cult thing- it's a usability thing.  I know a guy who already has a Kindle, a Zune, a non iPhone, a netbook... and was not going to get an iPad.  He had no intentions.

Then he used it.  Now he has one.

And I've seen that story over and over again.  Indeed, as I said, I plan to get one myself.

There are cult-ish Apple afficionados just as there are cult-ish windows people, etc.  But if you can market to the non-cult members, doesn't that say that there might be something more than you're seeing from the surface?

cmpm:
ipad review

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review/

Renegade:
If so, then why do so many non Apple people that I personally know 'get it' as far as the iPad is concerned?  It's not a cult thing- it's a usability thing.  I know a guy who already has a Kindle, a Zune, a non iPhone, a netbook... and was not going to get an iPad.  He had no intentions.

Then he used it.  Now he has one.

And I've seen that story over and over again.  Indeed, as I said, I plan to get one myself.

There are cult-ish Apple afficionados just as there are cult-ish windows people, etc.  But if you can market to the non-cult members, doesn't that say that there might be something more than you're seeing from the surface?
-wraith808 (June 06, 2010, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think that you are indirectly pointing out that pathetic portion of the population (of which I am part) that we call 'technophiles'. We buy just about anything, for any reason, at any time. I have software licenses that I have never used. I have gadgets that I have never used. Yes. I even own Apple products too!

It's a compulsion. We need help~!

cmpm:
It's the ccd in us.

Computer Compulsion Delights

No help groups I'm aware of.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version