topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: T-Clock 2010 (download)  (Read 1007973 times)

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
T-Clock 2010 (download)
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Stoic Joker's T-Clock 2010

Application Name T-Clock 2010
VersionBuild 95
Short Description Highly Configurable Taskbar Clock
Supported OSes  Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 32 & 64 bit
Web Page www.StoicJoker.com/TClock for general info. Download is still only available here.
Download Link * T-Clock 2010 (build 95).zip (703.66 kB - downloaded 83984 times.)
Download Link * T-Clock.20130503.f9f71075.7z (800.47 kB - downloaded 19259 times.) This is LonelyPixel's build containing Henriko's Week Number fix
Download Link White Tiger's GitHub Release Page
System Requirements
  • Win2k or Higher
  • Memory 512K
Version History
  • See Below
Author Stoic Joker - Has officially closed the project as of Saturday March 10, 2012
Source Code Stoic Joker's Last (unreleased) Build 98 and then...
Author WhiteTigX - Grabbed the released source code and reopened the project about a year later
-+-
LonelyPixel's GitHub Source Code Repository
-+-
White Tiger's GitHub Source Code Repository

Description
The Original TClock written by Kazubon in the early 90's was a popular classic that was on the edge of extinction when Windows started going 64bit. ...I simply chose not to let that happen.

Features
The Application's features.

Planned Features
Currently Open for Suggestions.

Screenshots
Screenshots of the Application.

Usage
Installation
Extract the .zip file (where you like) & run the program.

Using the Application
Hopefully this is all covered in the help file.

Uninstallation
Close Program & delete it.

Known Issues
Currently None - But I have faith that you guys will find something wrong with it... ;)

Version History
Build 95 - Fixed Middle mouse button, and added the following features:
  • PC Speaker alarm beep option (.pcb files)
  • Locking Workstation Turns Off Monitor(s) (I Just Had to Try Doing This)
  • System first week of year (used by popup calendar) adjustable via GUI
  • Popup calendar options for 1, 3, or 12 month view (still needs work but is there)
  • Added always on top option for calendar
  • Added display am/pm as a/p, A/P, and  /p options
Build 90 - Added Font Quality option to resolve the Fuzzy Font Bugg, and Bouncing Alarm windows. (details)
Okay... It's 12/23/2010, So I either have to either release this thing or change the name.
Beta 8.5 Windows 2000 Support Returns! - Thanks to MSVS2008
Beta 8 ... Same as first 8 Just repacked properly - Not a clue how I screwed that up.
Beta 8 - End of High DPI Dialog Position Bugg (also added build # to About Tab)
Beta 7.5 - Fixed Logic Error which caused Alarm AM/PM setting to be ignored.
Beta 7.4 - Added Display (ISO) Week Numbers on Calendar Option, Close Calendar on Lose Focus Option, Calendar Dialog now dynamically resizes at runtime if/as needed (toggle Week Numbers to see), Added Miscellaneous Tab to Properties Dialog to Adjust Above.
Beta 7.3 - Added Option to have Alarm Ring X Times
Beta 7.2 - Added Option to have Alarm Chime the Hour.
Beta 7.1 - More Fun with the Alarm Tab Crash Bugg
Beta 7 - Rework of Alarms Page Control behavior & etc... (see thread for details)
Beta 6 - This is a rough draft of the requested Time Synchronization feature (details to follow).
Beta 5.5 - More mucking about with the infernal Hotkeys (which should finally be be nailed down at this point)
Beta 5.2 - Fixed Loss of (HotKey) Focus Bugg
Beta 5 - Now with configurable HotKeys (I'm way to tired to post details)

Revised request for Ordinal Date Added (two ways) and also added Day-Of-Year.
OD = Ordinal Date UTC
Od = Ordinal Date Local
DOY = Day of Year in (001 - 366) Decimal format.

Help file has been updated with new options - but it looks like hell
Found this request for the Julian Date in an Email, so I tossed it in (Formatting Option JD)
Added Hotkey Options for Stopwatch, Add/Edit Timers, & Timer Watch dialogs

6. The Properties Dialog Mouse Tab Crash Bugg is gone - Thanks to a T-Clock fan that (also happens to be a programmer) has been working with me via Email for the past few weeks.

5. There is an EasterEgg of sorts for the Win2k folk that (is easy to find in the registry) allows TC2010 to make the Desktop Icon Text Labels transparent.

4. Registry info structure has been modified slightly (Simplicity/Testing purposes) so TC2010 will not use/modify the TC3 configuration data.

3. Taskbar transparency has been brought back because (Um...) it seemed like the thing to do at the time. It has been tested and works on all the above.

2. It is stable, and has been tested on Win2k/XP/Server2k3 x64/7 x64 without any Shell hangs/crashes/etc.

1. Okay, so I finally managed to end up with something stable enough to share with the rest of the class ... There are a couple of things to be noted however: This is alpha so it ain't perfect.

Okay, So I've been trying to get this project back off the ground for a few years ... and as of late ... That's really been starting to bug me. Missing source code issues aside ...(long story documented elsewhere)... I still had the partially branded project file from the web server to work with. That copy however (actually all of them in retrospect...) had an issue with MSVS 2005 SP1, which caused a quite consistent shell crash on load. I confirmed this by compiling the code with MSVS 2005 (no service packs) and it did indeed run just fine. Hence the conclusion that either SP1 or something that SP1 didn't like about my code was the culprit.

I have spent the better part of the last 3 days hammering on this in an attempt to render that particular bugg nice and dead. I have succeeded. Hence (in a mild fit of artistic rage...) I have decided to display said buggs still twitching carcase here ... on the odd chance that someone may need to drive a similar stake through one of its cousins:
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. oldWndProc = (WNDPROC)(LONG_PTR)GetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC); // The x64 Bugg Was Here
  2.   // SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG)(LONG_PTR)WndProc); <--+++----<<<<< FAIL Code!!!
  3.   SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG_PTR)(LRESULT)WndProc); //----+++--> This Fixed IT!!
  4.   SetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE, GetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE) & ~CS_DBLCLKS);

Will TC2010 make it to release? I don't know. But this is a hell of a lot closer to a good start then I've been in the past 4 years.

:D
-Original Post
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:39 PM by Stoic Joker, Reason: Added White Tiger\'s build of T-Clock to download options. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: T-Clock 2010 (Maybe...)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:30 PM »
ouch, thats a tricky one.

Go go TCLOCK!!

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46 PM »
ouch, thats a tricky one.

Quite true, but it was at least almost (but not quite) twice as much fun as trimming your toenails with a chainsaw... :)

But seriously... Being that I have multiple project files pointing at the same source pool, the 32-bit compile complained about the pointer conversion (might cause data loss (yada, yada, yada...)). So I had to make it conditional at compile time, which ends up being this:
  1. oldWndProc = (WNDPROC)(LONG_PTR)GetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC);
  2. //==================================================================================
  3. #if defined _M_IX86 //---------------+++--> IF Compiling This as a 32-bit Clock Use:
  4.   SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG)(LONG_PTR)WndProc);
  6. //==================================================================================
  7. #else //-------------------+++--> ELSE Assume: _M_X64 - IT's a 64-bit Clock and Use:
  8.   SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG_PTR)(LRESULT)WndProc);
  10. #endif
  11. //==================================================================================
  12.  SetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE, GetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE) & ~CS_DBLCLKS);

Which compiles cleanly (no errors or warnings) and runs without crashing on both 32 & 64 bit test machines.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:48 PM by Stoic Joker »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 01:53 AM »
What's up with having two casts (ie., (LONG)(LONG_PTR))? A single (LONG_PTR) ought to suffice, and work on both x86 and x64... reason for your old code crashing is probably that LONG is 32bit in both x86 and x64, so you get pointer truncation... whereas LONG_PTR is defined thus:

#if defined(_WIN64)
 typedef __int64 LONG_PTR;
#else
 typedef long LONG_PTR;
#endif

Yay for the moronic (or should we just say old-school-C-not-C++?) way the PlatformSDK is structured... *me barfs*. "Yeah, this is a pointer, except, like... it's an integer".
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:02 AM »
What's up with having two casts (ie., (LONG)(LONG_PTR))? A single (LONG_PTR) ought to suffice
...Ought to, being the operative part :) ...But results in:
warning C4244: 'function' : conversion from 'LONG_PTR' to 'LONG', possible loss of data

However, Originally I was using a single Line of code for both (e.g. no compile time switching), so I needed to get that single line to work on/for both the 32 & 64 bit versions ...(and I insist on the code compiling with zero errors or warnings)... Which is I think how I landed there. Did I mention that this (or rather that 4 year ago project) was my baptism by fire in the pointer casting department.

I did some quick testing and now have:
  1. oldWndProc = (WNDPROC)(LONG_PTR)GetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC);
  2. //==================================================================================
  3. #if defined _M_IX86 //---------------+++--> IF Compiling This as a 32-bit Clock Use:
  4.   SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG)(LRESULT)WndProc);
  6. //==================================================================================
  7. #else //-------------------+++--> ELSE Assume: _M_X64 - IT's a 64-bit Clock and Use:
  8.   SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWL_WNDPROC, (LONG_PTR)(LRESULT)WndProc);
  10. #endif
  11. //==================================================================================
  12.  SetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE, GetClassLong(hwndClock, GCL_STYLE) & ~CS_DBLCLKS);

...Which works on both 32 & 64 bit test machines. I could try running a few tests with just (LONG_PTR)(LRESULT) for both after work if you think it would be cleaner, but for now I'm just glad to be done abusing my server.

Only x64 machines I have are my main (Win 7) dev machine and my (Win 2k3 R2) domain controller. Repeatedly crashing the shell on the dev machine makes it impossible to keep my notes in order ... So I've been torching the shell over & over via Terminal Services for the last few days on the Domain Controller. Which says a lot for TS as in over 100+ shell hangs/crashes the original session never disconnected once and the box is still stable.

Disclaimer: (Kids do not try this at home) This is not considered a good practice or even recommended behavior... (It's actually rather stupid) ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:35 AM »
Hm, just did a silly little test - obviously won't work runtime, but compiles clean with the following two compilers (VS2008 + SP1):
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for x64
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86

...should work fine for older compilers as well, although there is a PlatformSDK dependency to have GWLP_* work (dunno when that was introduced, but iirc it works fine on VS2005).

Note that I prefer the C++ style cast operators, but C style (cast) just as well (they're less explicit and harder to grep for, though, and the C++ operators allow you to be more precise wrt. what/why you're casting).

1. #include <windows.h>
  3. extern HWND hwndClock;
  4. extern LRESULT CALLBACK newWindowProc(HWND hwnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam);
  6. int main()
  7. {
  8.         WNDPROC oldWndProc = reinterpret_cast<WNDPROC>(GetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWLP_WNDPROC));
  9.         SetWindowLongPtr(hwndClock, GWLP_WNDPROC, reinterpret_cast<LONG_PTR>(newWindowProc));
  10. }

- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Hm, just did a silly little test - obviously won't work runtime, but compiles clean with the following two compilers (VS2008 + SP1):
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for x64
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86
I'm like totally open for suggestions here. ;)

...should work fine for older compilers as well, although there is a PlatformSDK dependency to have GWLP_* work (dunno when that was introduced, but iirc it works fine on VS2005).
It does, and is used/was required to get the origional (VS2k5) project off the ground

Note that I prefer the C++ style cast operators, but C style (cast) just as well (they're less explicit and harder to grep for, though, and the C++ operators allow you to be more precise wrt. what/why you're casting).
That decision was made for me as the origional (authors) code is pure C, which I haven't changed ... But have regretted more than once...

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 11:13 AM »
Stoic,

Sorry I can't offer any programming tips, but I did want to chime in and say that TClock has been one of my must have programs for a couple of years now.

Take this as encouragement that I'd love to see your latest version when it becomes available!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 07:17 PM »
f0dder - After going through and tidying up the various pointer castings TC2010 is proving to be quite stable. I've even spent some quality time trying to crash it, and happily failed. Rather odd side note is that the strange behavior of the Mouse Tab of the Properties Dialog crashing the program seems to have disappeared. So I've tentatively (also) crossed that Bugg off the To-Do list for the moment. :)

Daleus - Thank You, I truly appreciate the encouragement. I got hooked on TClock back in the late 90s and am completely incapable of parting with it. If you are interested in a bit of (alpha/) beta testing ... I could be easily coerced into posting a download of TC2010 once I get a few more things ironed out. ;)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05 PM »
this is a pointer, except, like... it's an integer

As I'm sure you know, it's quite common in C to store pointers in int variables.  While this might not be a good practice in general there are times when it makes sense, such as for SetWindowLongPtr() where all the API is interested in is storing a small blob of data - it doesn't care what that data is (the user of the API gets to decide what the data means).

The intent of the LONG_PTR/ULONG_PTR types is the same as C99's intptr_t and uintptr_t types which is to be able to declare an integer type that can hold a pointer - exactly for situations like Win64 where pointers are larger than normal ints. The C99 standard calls them "Integer types capable of holding object pointers".

On the other hand, Microsoft should have made it so that passing a LONG_PTR type (whether by casting or not) to SetWindowLongPtr() should not have caused a warning whether the build was for 32 or 64 bit. That's really where something fell down here.  The whole point of a type like LONG_PTR is so that the conditional code that Stoic Joker ended up using wouldn't be necessary.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:39 PM »
As I'm sure you know, it's quite common in C to store pointers in int variables.  While this might not be a good practice in general there are times when it makes sense, such as for SetWindowLongPtr() where all the API is interested in is storing a small blob of data - it doesn't care what that data is (the user of the API gets to decide what the data means).
A void* is a better choice - it's opaque ("don't go around manipulating this like you woudl an int"), you don't run into trouble on platforms where sizeof(int) != sizeof(T*) (16- and 64-bit x86 platforms), et cetera. 8 of the 10 documented indices for Get/SetWindowLongPtr are pointer types.

On the other hand, Microsoft should have made it so that passing a LONG_PTR type (whether by casting or not) to SetWindowLongPtr() should not have caused a warning whether the build was for 32 or 64 bit. That's really where something fell down here.  The whole point of a type like LONG_PTR is so that the conditional code that Stoic Joker ended up using wouldn't be necessary.
And, at least on VC2008, there is no warning when doing the single cast. Can't see why there would be with other versions of the compiler, either, really - but mistakingly using SetWindowLong (instead of SetWindowLongPtr) at 4am because you haven't had enough coffee... then yeah :) (or perhaps some flaky old PlatformSDK version - but I kinda doubt that as well).

The PSDK is a big effing mess with some of the worst C coding styles, it's a shame MS has never cleaned it up. Stuff like using enums instead of #defines, inline functions for the ApiNameA/W distinguishing, etc.
- carpe noctem

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04 AM »
@Stoic Joker
Thanks for your work :Thmbsup:
i second Daleus post in all it aspects   :P
Stoic,

Sorry I can't offer any programming tips, but I did want to chime in and say that TClock has been one of my must have programs for a couple of years now.

Take this as encouragement that I'd love to see your latest version when it becomes available!

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Okay, Just to show that I haven't dropped-the-ball...again... ;) (Here's an update)

Before:
T-Clock x64 (Mouse).jpg

After:
T-Clock 2010 (Mouse).jpg

Mouse Tab has been reorganized and I added a ListView of all currently configured mouse click options for clarity. Screen Shots were taken on my 64-bit Server 2003 Domain Controller - No crashes were experienced during testing... :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:36 PM by Stoic Joker »

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: T-Clock 2010 (alpha - download)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:28 PM »
T-Clock 2010 alpha download link is (and will be) at the bottom of the first post of this thread.

Go ahead be brutal honest... ;)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 04:03 PM »
So far it's working fine here in Windows XP SP3 :)

(Ah, what do you know -- looking at T-Clock 2010 reminded me it's Pi day.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 04:10 PM »
might be nice to have a quick summary of what's new?

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 01:50 PM »
T-Clock 2010 alpha download link is (and will be) at the bottom of the first post of this thread.
Go ahead be brutal honest... ;)
Looks good so far.  No errors.

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:22 PM »
Mouser - Sorry man, wasn't ignoring you, I've just been busy trying to keep the project rolling while I'm still in this window of opportunity (time wise). Most of what had been update/fixed was under the hood stuff. Biggest item being the Properties Dialog's habit of crashing the clock (and shell) any time the mouse options tab had been viewed. I should probably do a proper posting with one of the NANY release templates at some point to avoid confusion.

So... I decided to tackle the Timers part of T-Clock, as it has always kinda bugged me (OK, it was total shit to be honest... :)) While not completely finished, it is working well enough to share. The Stopwatch part (what pathetic attempt at one there was) has been temporally removed until I can do it properly (which is next). Latest updated build of T-Clock available bottom of first post in thread.

Before:
T-Clock x64 (Timers).jpg

After:
T-Clock 2010 (Timers).jpg

Multiple timers can be stopped and started from the UI (stopping a timer previously required restarting the clock), Timers can now be set for Days/Hours/Minutes/Seconds, instead of just minutes. Running timers menu now gives the names of the running timers and are click-able to open a current time remaining message. MessageBox will be replaced by a running "live" countdown eventually - but I ain't there yet. ;)

Feedback Appreciated... :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:24 PM by Stoic Joker »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37 PM »
I tested a bit w/ the content of:

T-Clock 2010 (alpha -2- Release to DC).zip

10-second timer worked -- at least, when I specified a .wav file, I heard something at what seemed like around 10 seconds  :Thmbsup:

60-second and 100-second timers seem to give me times rather longer than 60 or 100 seconds (at least when I choose the timer from the context menu, the dialog box that comes up says something like 18:wx:yz).  Being able to specify values greater than or equal to 60 for seconds is a good feature IMHO because sometimes we are quoted values from external sources, and not having to manually convert those values to set timers would be much appreciated :)

Tab order among fields for the Timer dialog seemed odd to me.  Here's the order I observed for when there are no timers yet:

Time Name text field
Minutes numeric field
File text field
... button
Test button
Repeat checkbox
Blink checkbox
Start button
Cancel button
Seconds numeric field
Hours numeric field
Days numeric field

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 06:18 AM »
Tab Order  :wallbash: You got me! :) I knew I was forgetting something (Using forest for the trees defense).

the dialog box that comes up says something like 18:wx:yz
format of that is hh:mm:ss so it looks like it's counting down from 18 hours.

60 - 100 seconds timer? ...I ganged all the spinner controls together so that clicking up on 59 seconds would automatically set minutes to one. So as each spinner reaches it max (or min) value, it will start updating its neighbor control.

The intent behind the design was that 60 seconds be 1 minute, and 100 seconds be 1 minute 40 seconds.

I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to do this, and didn't think enough about should I do this perhaps? I can pull that (update yer neighbor) part if it's to confusing/annoying - or try tweaking it for clarity if it's saveable.

Thanks for the input! :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 07:49 AM »
60 - 100 seconds timer?
Yup.  As a somewhat vague example, there are these sites that make you wait before letting you do certain things, and if you miss a window of opportunity you are made to wait another period of time.  It has been my experience that the quoted wait times are often communicated in seconds.  I've seen 500 seconds wait times, FWIW.

I ganged all the spinner controls together so that clicking up on 59 seconds would automatically set minutes to one. So as each spinner reaches it max (or min) value, it will start updating its neighbor control.
Aha.  Thanks for the explanation. 

A little more detail on what I did:

I put the focus in the seconds field, entered 100 and subsequently used tab to visit other fields, ensuring that the other time fields were 0.  From what I can see, tabbing off of the seconds field does not appear to update the time fields.  At the time when I click on the start button, what I see for time values consists of:

0 Days
  0 Hours
  0 Minutes
  100 Seconds

If I visit the Timer dialog subsequently and copy-paste the seconds value elsewhere, I see a value of 65595.

I can pull that (update yer neighbor) part if it's to confusing/annoying - or try tweaking it for clarity if it's saveable.
I'm not sure yet.  There is an element of convenience to having the conversion done automatically.

For comparison...
For reference, in a former life, I wrote a timer plugin for some program.  The method I used there for specifying times was purely via a single text field.  Some examples of expressions I supported were:

1h20m4s (1 hour 20 min 4 sec)
     4m3s (4 min 3 sec)
     500s (500 seconds)

1:30 (1 min 30 sec)
     2:30:10 (2 hours 30 min 10 sec)

3 (3 min)
     1.5 (1 min 30 sec)
     20r (every 20 minutes)

The main emphasis was on being able to quickly create timers -- and to be honest, I find not having to tab to different controls more convenient for specifying times from scratch.  However, I think that visually speaking, the spinner arrangement in T-Clock provides a stabler, more normalized feeling.  I think it may be nicer for editing existing timers, and as far as reading an existing time specification is concerned I think it may be better than a single text field.  (Perhaps a potentially nice addition might be for the dialog to also display at what time a timer will expire.)

I noticed that if I press the X button to remove a timer without stopping it first, it still appears under the T-Clock Timers submenu.  After the timer expires, it goes away, but I guess there's no straight-forward way to get at it to stop it.  Am I missing something obvious may be?

For future consideration
Ah, one more thing I forgot to mention in my previous post.  After I deleted all timers, leave the timer dialog, and return to it, the File text field is empty (which makes some sense).  Unfortunately, though, clicking on "..." brings up a File Open dialog pointing initially at the directory for the T-Clock binary.  If it's doable, perhaps it'd be more convenient to have the directory location point to the most recently used location for a timer with a sound.  What do you think?

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04 PM »
Holy Hell, Mom Was Right - If you pick at a loose thread, he whole damn thing unravels... (I'll explain later)

Yup.  As a somewhat vague example, there are these sites that make you wait before letting you do certain things, and if you miss a window of opportunity you are made to wait another period of time.  It has been my experience that the quoted wait times are often communicated in seconds.  I've seen 500 seconds wait times, FWIW.

A little more detail on what I did:

I put the focus in the seconds field, entered 100 and subsequently used tab to visit other fields, ensuring that the other time fields were 0.  From what I can see, tabbing off of the seconds field does not appear to update the time fields.  At the time when I click on the start button, what I see for time values consists of:

0 Days
  0 Hours
  0 Minutes
  100 Seconds

If I visit the Timer dialog subsequently and copy-paste the seconds value elsewhere, I see a value of 65595.

This was actually 2 separate issues.

1. Values were being taken from the Spinner Control not the Edit Control ... So 100 being out-of-range ~ Gave the appropriate (65595) error.

2. I never thought of anybody doing that.

So... Values now taken (at face value...) from Edit Control and are then passed through here:
  1. //================================================================================================
  2. //--{ DC - ewemoa }------+++--> Validate Values as Being Within Expected Ranges (Adjust as Needed):
  3. void ValidateTimerInput(int sec, int min, int hrs, int day) { // Second  = 1 Second --------+++-->
  4.                                                                                // Minute = 60 Seconds
  5.                                                                                // Hour = 3600 Seconds
  6.   if(sec > 59) {                                                           // Day = 86400 Seconds
  7.           for(sec; sec > 59; sec -= 60) {
  8.                   min += 1;
  9.           }
  10.   }
  12.   if(min > 59) {
  13.           for(min; min > 59; min -= 60) {
  14.                   hrs += 1;
  15.           }
  16.   }
  18.   if(hrs > 23) {
  19.           for(hrs; hrs > 23; hrs -= 24) {
  20.                   day += 1;
  21.           }
  22.   }
  24.   if(day > 42) day = 7; // It was either Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy -or- the 49.7 day bugg :-)
  25. }

Now you can stick anything anywhere & it'll convert it for you on-the-fly as needed.

I noticed that if I press the X button to remove a timer without stopping it first, it still appears under the T-Clock Timers submenu.  After the timer expires, it goes away, but I guess there's no straight-forward way to get at it to stop it.  Am I missing something obvious may be?

Yes, that would be the I'm obviously not that bright, part. The extra flurry of message boxes that I'm sure you noticed were supposed to remind me (test values) I hadn't finished coding that part. The next release will include the Auto-Suicide on Delete function - That I forgot to do earlier (...Thanks for reminding me... :)).

So, do I really still need to explain the Thread Comment?

Rather bizzar side effect, when I reordered the controls in the .rc script to fix the Tab Order (which I've done many times) Tabs have now completely quit working (e.g. Key Has No Effect).

And etc. *Shrug* ...But that's enough whinning I gota get back to work ;)

Hopefully I'll have a new build ready sometime this weekend.

Thank You

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Well, Damn the luck - Tabbing Issue was actually with Virtual PC. After I restarted the whole shebang it started working just fine.

So... Updated download above - With the following fixes/additions:

1. Deleting a running timer, also stops said timer.

2. Deleting a timer no longer scrambles all of the other configured timers.

3. Removed excess MessageBoxes (that weren't actually supposed to be there - oops!).

4. Fixed Spastic Tab Order issue.

5. Entering out-of-range time data is now auto-converted to its D:HH:MM:SS equivelents

6. Timer Status message now reflects the above (per ewemoa's formatting suggestion) - This will eventually be a "Live" counter.

7. Timers that were running on program shutdown are automatically reset so they don't get stuck as unstartable.

8. Some other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Please, sir, I want some more of that:)

Stoic Joker

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Please, sir, I want some more of that:)
-cranioscopical (March 19, 2010, 12:48 PM)
9. Additional items I can't remember - But included on request.