ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why OpenOffice? Why Microsoft Office? Each one makes their argument

<< < (6/7) > >>

JavaJones:
Tried the ribbon several times, still hate it. Maybe good for novices, or to learn the shortcuts, but it's miserable for me. To each their own I guess.

Spreadsheet embedded in a word doc is possible in Office 2Kx, OOo, and probably others. It's clunky in every case I've tried, maybe not so in RagTime? But if it really is just OLE, then RagTime isn't as cool as I thought, or at least is not what I was envisioning above, with a single app of multi-capability and "modes" for each task.

- Oshyan

tomos:
I'm under the impression that Softmaker 2010 is now out of beta.  I haven't tried it, but I was impressed the few times I've used the 2008 version.
-cyberdiva (February 22, 2010, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

they're talking about the Linux version.

Shades:
@ JavaJones:
The OLE experience from MSOffice doesn't feel as smooth as RagTime's, not by far. Just tried to include an excel sheet in a word document (MSoffice2003) and that was rather painful and slow. So I installed the last freeware version from RagTime that I have (5.6.5) and tried to do the same.  It took time to find my way around its interface again, but after that it was a breeze...and still faster than the MSOffice OLE crap.

I stand by my recommendation.

TucknDar:
I'm under the impression that Softmaker 2010 is now out of beta.  I haven't tried it, but I was impressed the few times I've used the 2008 version.
-cyberdiva (February 22, 2010, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, you're right about SoftMaker Office 2010 for Windows, it was released in December IIRC. The Linux version is still in beta testing, however.

cyberdiva:
Yes, you're right about SoftMaker Office 2010 for Windows, it was released in December IIRC. The Linux version is still in beta testing, however.
-TucknDar (February 23, 2010, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oops, sorry, I somehow lost sight of the fact that it was the Linux version being referred to.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version