ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which operating system you like most....

<< < (13/15) > >>

f0dder:
So... f0dder, has your new notebook arrived? What do you think of Vista? Inquiring minds want to know...  :)
-Darwin (October 07, 2008, 07:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
I decided to make a new thread about it since the post got rather long, and I suspect I'll have more to say about Vista in the weeks to follow :)

wreckedcarzz:
Why on earth would you want a Vista transformation pack for XP? Getting the useless glitz without the worthwhile kernel improvements? O_o

From what I heard, the MSI Wind computers pack a little more punch than the ASUS EEEs. Guy from school has an EEE, and it's pretty cute... but you don't want to use it for anything heavier than web browsing and some light office tasks. JAVA development, even the simple stuff at school, is a bit of a challenge.

PS: check out if your school is part of the MSDNAA program - that would be a pretty cheap :) way for you to get a legit Windows license.
-f0dder (October 07, 2008, 03:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lack of money, 512MB RAM, the fact that it makes it act more like the Vista interface that I love... :-*

I want a Mac for development and poking around with OS X. I want an EEE just for the fact that it runs Linux natively and I am now comfortable enough with Ubuntu to have a full on Linux system.

My dad goes to the local college and a Vista Home Premium license (upgrade, but I can bypass that anyways, not that I need to though :P) there is available @ the bookstore for $90, but the 2GB RAM I want for my laptop is $94 + tax & shipping... :(

All want and no have makes wreckedcarzz behind in tech

Renegade:
I have to agree with mouser. They all suck.

The problem is now that nobody can or will make a decent modern OS.

Microsoft is the closest there with .NET potential, but that's still a pipe dream.

Apple can't afford it. Sun is just a bunch of engineers that don't care. Novell is struggling. IBM isn't in that business anymore. The open source guys couldn't manage it if they tried because they're all sucking the Linux Penguin tit and ranting about how good it is.

We're hosed for at least another 10 years.

A fully object oriented OS is what we need, and want, but the market just won't allow it now.

An OO OS would advance computing by leagues. But who's going to pay to develop it?

capture:
I used a computer for a couple years with win98, and I loved it. I bought a computer in 2002 with XP, and after all the endless patches, fixes, I am now used to it. My roomate has a computer with Vista on it, and it's a Royal PITA........ My computer is almost 7 years old and I know I need a replacement. Using CamStudio requires 100% of my computer resources and causes IE Explorer to crash - more than once.

I'm getting a new computer and will buy the Windows XP Pro System and have some tech format the HD ( I'm not that technically gifted ) and erase Vista and all the other nonsensical programs like Norton Anti-Virus from it and install the XP OS. Vista Sux IMHHO. Helping my friend work with and use new programs is awful..... endless popups about - Do you really want to do this? yeah, no, that's why I'm doing it..... duh oh! Installing programs is a nightmare.

XP is a Microsoft Product, which speaks volumes about their cruddy programs. I have been using Google Chrome as a browser to video record my tutorial videos and is mucho better than FireFox and I never use IE except to check my web designs to see What Hacks I have to implement to make the pages render properly......... IE7 Sux too - from a web designer's point of view.

Thanks,
Claire P.
Chemainus, BC Canada

scancode:
My fav OS is, ofc, the C64 BASIC interpreter.
Then Win2k (properly nLited), WinXP, Puppy Linux, ReactOS (nice for toying around), Vista, FreeDOS
(in that order)

Win2k is the most solid windows version I've ever tried, and the lack of eye candy is a plus.
WinXP...  hmm... We all got to love the Luna theme :)
Puppy Linux: If it works for you, it's an awesome tiny distro.
ReactOS: lovely project... still on diapers.
Vista: I don't like Vista. I really don't. If I can get it installed under a gig, it's not worth of my time :)
FreeDOS: Why last? Well, I never actually used it besides setting it up on a couple computers at school, but seems like a nice clone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version