ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Updated: Maxthon 2.0.8 FINAL supports IE/COM plugins

(1/5) > >>

Darwin:
For Maxthon fans, Maxthon 2.0.8 beta is available which FINALLY brings support for IE/COM plugins. The link takes you to the announcement and download page...

WARNING: it IS a beta, but this bodes well for a full release this quarter. Finally... my beloved AIRoboform and NetSnippets will be available via integrated toolbars and sidebars  :-*

I'm downloading this now and will report back with my impression/experience.

EDIT: revised title to reflect the fact that Maxthon 2.0.8 Final has been released.

Curt:
I tried Maxthon 2 (not beta) just a month ago but still like 1.6 better. However, it is clear to me that most of the new addons and plugins are being written for version 2 only, so one day soon I will be bound to give up on the Classic anyway. I just hope for Maxthon 2 to be faster than so far, and to give me back my Maxthon Start Page in the way that I want it to be. Also, I must be able to add any search engine.

But I didn't try it for long and I didn't take notes on my experience, so maybe I have forgotten or just didn't figure out all of the options and it can already do what I am asking for? Hmm... I better remember to try the next version! You will remember to tell when the stable version with these new features have been launched? Yes, of course you will, Darwin.  :-*

-

vegas:
Maxthon 2.0 has been very disappointing, up until the November & December releases of last year (2007).  I still barely prefer the classic version, BUT 2.0 is making great strides, considering how bad it seemed at one point.

Darwin:
Yes - I agree Vegas. I've been disappointed by its footprint, more than anything else. This beta is RAM intensive, but seems to be cured of the CPU issues I was seeing with 2.0.6.

On a side note, I was thrilled about using Roboform and Netsnippets with Maxthon 2.0.8 and confirmed that they work. I rebooted, however, and Roboform is GONE. I suspect I need to reinstall it to "get it back"...

Darwin:
OK - reinstalling Roboform did the trick. So far, so good. The resource consumption is much less onerous and I am well pleased.

I'll keep you posted, Curt! Note, though, that with IE/COM plugin support there is little reason not to try this again yourself. Maxthon 1.x and 2.x will coexist happily on a machine, so you won't be overwriting anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version