ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SQLNotes...what is it exactly?

<< < (149/235) > >>

superboyac:
Will do.

BTW, in the coming update, you'll be able to copy/paste items from one DB to another. Not quite a full merge just yet, but a big improvement over the current.
-PPLandry (March 10, 2008, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great.  I was just thinking about that, and I realized it must be somewhat complicated because of all the levels of data and display.  For example, if I want to merge databases, it needs to be able to process what to do with existing and updated items, what if grids are using fields not in the current database.  I imagine the merging databases feature dialog is going to be sophisticated with several options (at least I hope so).

PPLandry:
SQLNotes web site www.sqlnotes.net appears down. Please post here until I can get it fixed...

[edit] I've set-up an alternate download page. Post here (or PM me) if experiencing problems downloading from the main site (www.sqlnotes.net) [/edit]

gottadoit:
Well, that is quite open-ended... SN is build on top of a relational database. Currently JET, but SQL Server is coming very soon (I've got a paying customer who's willing to contribute to change to that back-end).-PPLandry (February 27, 2008, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
It could be useful if you could consider the interface design so the program could run against different databases as well (at the same time as you are making these changes)

There are several free and lightweight database options available these days and having your data not locked up in a proprietary db format never hurts

tomos:
SQLNotes web site www.sqlnotes.net appears down. Please post here until I can get it fixed...
-PPLandry (March 10, 2008, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

forum is back up now

I imagine the merging databases feature dialog is going to be sophisticated with several options (at least I hope so).-superboyac (March 10, 2008, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

there's so many possibilities in terms of settings/fields/columns I think it will have to be very sophisticated - or maybe it could simply favour the settings of one database over the other... :-\

PPLandry:
There are several free and lightweight database options available these days and having your data not locked up in a proprietary db format never hurts
-gottadoit (March 11, 2008, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
You are quite right. Eventually support for different back-ends will be added.

JET however, while proprietary, is installed on every PC, and every app can read it, so your data isn't exactly locked up. It is as open and accessible as it can be.

Did you try to view your SN data live in Excel? Do you know of many PIM-like application that allows that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version