topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: anyone tried i.Scribe email client?  (Read 23121 times)

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
anyone tried i.Scribe email client?
« on: November 04, 2006, 06:52 PM »
i.Scribe

The Small and Fast Email Client
Scribe is a small and fast email client with an intergrated contact database and calendar. It supports all the major internet mail protocols and uses international standards where possible. Scribe doesn't required installing or uninstalled and can be used from a removable drive without reconfiguration. It comes with a bayesian spam filter and translations to many different languages. Updates are published regularly to respond to problems and to add features. Because Scribe runs on Windows and Linux you can take your mail with you when you change operating system. And don't worry about viruses, Scribe protects you from the usual security holes in other email clients with it's own virus safe HTML control and executable attachment protection.

---------------

what i like about it is its portable (no installation) and it comes with a built in bayesian spam filter.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

ad-min

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: anyone tried i.Scribe email client?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 04:40 AM »
Yes, I know that's an answer to a very old post, but I just tried InScribe... :)

It's a great program, I really can recommend it.  :Thmbsup:

Of course InScribe is not in the same league as TheBat, but it is very small and very fast.

So just give it a try!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 02:09 PM »
looks good,
(well maybe not super visually but not too bad there either..)
forums look good (people get answered with offers of help etc.:))

doesnt do tagging (I dont think) but while I've started using that in Thunderbird
I may as well be using folders with the way I use it & it's limitations

but nice filtering of mails
iScribe.png
by date as well
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 02:27 PM »
From Help file, info about "Thread" button
Each folder in the main view contains object of one type only. So if you create more folders you have to decide what they contain up front. When you drag and drop email/contacts between folders only items that match the destination folders type will be moved.
Right clicking on an email shows a list of actions and properties that you can use. The mark colour allows grouping of similar email by catagory by setting them all to the same colour. The mark colour can be set automatically by filters. By using the Select Marked submenu you can select all the email of a certain colour for furthur processing.
not quite sure what this thread business is about..

maybe it does do tagging though, with filters
but think I'll have to digest that for a while & see do i understand it better on second look
Tom

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 03:00 AM »
I tried to use iScribe (last time 1-2 months ago) but I couldn't make it to work with my Gmail account. This problem was also encountered by many other users.

So I searched for another free e-mail client and found Koma-Mail, that works with Gmail (and Hotmail). It has Unicode support and its interface can be translated, two things that I search nowadays in any application. It doesn't need to be installed, because it is portable (comes as a zip archive). It has also a spam filter and other useful features.

Address of Koma-Mail : http://www.koma-code.de/   (Click on the Software section on the left to download it)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 03:03 AM by muntealb »

ad-min

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:05 AM »
I tried to use iScribe (last time 1-2 months ago) but I couldn't make it to work with my Gmail account.

I had no problems with Gmail, I just used this tutorial:
http://www.memecode....ibe/tutorials/gmail/

So I searched for another free e-mail client and found Koma-Mail, that works with Gmail (and Hotmail). It has Unicode support and its interface can be translated, two things that I search nowadays in any application. It doesn't need to be installed, because it is portable (comes as a zip archive). It has also a spam filter and other useful features.

I think InScribe does have all of these features. It's portable, cross-platform, multi-language, has a built in bayesian spam filter, and and and...

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:02 AM »
I used the Gmail tutorial (that didn't exist when i last checked Iscribe) to configure my Gmail account for Iscribe 1.89 Test21 and it didn't work. The main problem is the fact that my password is not remembered by the program. I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".

Iscribe does have also a big problem with Large Fonts (120 p - the setting that I use in Windows), because many text strings in the options panels are clipped. Also I cannot change the font that I use to write messages. I would prefer to use Arial with Central European script, but Iscribe does not offer the option to change the font. So I cannot write in romanian because Iscribe doesn't support Unicode.

I haven't checked InScribe because it has probably the same problems as IScribe.

By contrast Koma-Mail works without problems, I can change the fonts, use multiple accounts, write in romanian using Unicode, filter the mails, use a simple calendar, etc. and all these for free.

It may be ironic, but Iscribe was my main choice when I searched some months ago for a replacement to Outlook Express (Windows Mail). Although OE and WM are good programs I prefer to use software in romanian and the official translations of OE and WM are awful. Microsoft used translation software (probably LocStudio, their in-house product) to translate Windows XP and Vista in romanian and the result is a robotic dialect, not romanian, as someone could expect from a translation made by a program, not a human being. It is as if someone used Babelfish or Google Translator to translate the interface of a software and then say that it is a good translation. The romanian translations of Windows XP and Vista were not even checked by professional translators, so using the official translations of these operating systems is a (linguistic) pain. So I searched for an e-mail client and considered translating Iscribe, but the fact that it could not check my Gmail account made me to search another e-mail software. Then I found Koma-Mail and it does everything I need and it is free.

ad-min

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".

Yes, it really would be better to hide the password by displaying asterisks. But my version of the program remembers the password and everything works fine.

Then I found Koma-Mail and it does everything I need and it is free.

Great that you have found a tool which fulfills all your needs. It seems to be another very good progam and I will give it a try!  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 07:39 AM »
Koma-Mail looks interesting

Some other interesting stuff there too
http://www.koma-code...p;id=5&Itemid=39
Software
Alarm Timer
Command Line
CPU-Control
DevWiz
eBoard
Koma-Mail
Help file
Miri's Recipies
SC-Tool
Scan2PDF
Shutdown Tool
Snow-IRC
TableCalc
USB-ToolBox 2
Win-Control
Tom

fret

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 02:46 AM »
I used the Gmail tutorial (that didn't exist when i last checked Iscribe) to configure my Gmail account for Iscribe 1.89 Test21 and it didn't work.

Did you install the SSL dll's?

What error did you get in the log? (Status -> click Gmail account -> Log)

The main problem is the fact that my password is not remembered by the program. I type my password in the Send and Receive tabs of Account Properties and then click the OK button on the bottom. Then if I open again the two tabs the password is gone (there are no asterisks), even if i check "remember password".

Scribe stores the password, but doesn't put the *****'s in because other application can read whats behind the asterisks. Thus it's not secure. Scribe tries to keep your passwords safe from spying apps. It does remember and use the passwords as requested.

Iscribe does have also a big problem with Large Fonts (120 p - the setting that I use in Windows), because many text strings in the options panels are clipped.

This is still somewhat a problem in the current version, but MOST of the settings are now font sensitive, meaning that they resize to fit the text size. Which version did you try?

Also I cannot change the font that I use to write messages. I would prefer to use Arial with Central European script, but Iscribe does not offer the option to change the font.

The setting is in File -> Options -> Appearance -> Editor. Maybe it needs to be somewhere else?

So I cannot write in romanian because Iscribe doesn't support Unicode.

The current build is completely UTF-8 (Unicode) internally. Maybe you had trouble inputing characters into the editor? It supports the windows IME for far eastern input like Chinese and Japanese and normal unicode input for East/Western European languages. You don't need to select any special font, just type the characters in and it'll work out how to send the message correctly.

I haven't checked InScribe because it has probably the same problems as IScribe.

Yes, all the same problems :)

So I searched for an e-mail client and considered translating Iscribe, but the fact that it could not check my Gmail account made me to search another e-mail software.

Currently there are 22 translations of i.Scribe, included a number of european ones, e.g. Czech, Turkish, Lithuanian, German, Hungarian, Dutch, Serbian and Polish. And translators get a free copy of InScribe.

There is also an active bug database and forum for users... they probably could have sorted out the Gmail/SSL issue if you had posted there.

muntealb

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:48 AM »
1) Using Gmail with iScribe

I did follow the tutorial for creating a Gmail account to use with iScribe to the letter, but the tutorial has a mistake so it did not work. I thought that iScribe did not remember the passwords because they dissapeared from the boxes where they were written. Now I know after reading your message that this is a security measure so it must be something else that doesn't work. I checked the connection log and it said "Credentials rejected".

In the tutorial it is said that :

====================
On the Send tab set the fields:
User name: (my username)@gmail.com 

On the Receive tab set the fields:
User name: (my username)@gmail.com
=======================

So I wrote [email protected] like in the tutorial, but this is wrong and that's whty the program did not work. After deleting the @gmail.com part the program works. So the "User name" field should be only username, not [email protected] .

2) Large Fonts

I use the latest test version 1.89 test21
The problem with the display of the large fonts is not so severe now, but after I posted my previous message I reinstalled Vista and updated it. The reinstallation was because of a problem with some fonts in another application (I could not see correctly some romanian characters in a translated CHM Help file that somenone submitted to me for review, but they were displayed correctly after the reinstallation). Seems that this cured almost all the problems in iScribe also (some controls appear clipped but if I click on them they are displayed correctly).

3) Selection of the font

You are right, I apologize, I must have seen the option to change the font. I can use any font I want in iScribe, for example Arial but I cannot select the script. I always use Central European script when I select the font for use in the text editors (EditPad, Notepad, etc.), but IScribe does not let me choose that script.

4) Writing in Romanian

I cannot write in romanian in iScribe although you say it supports Unicode. Romanian uses the latin alphabet + 5 letters with diacritics Ă Â Î Ș Ț. In iScribe only  Πare displayed correctly, Ș and Ț are displayed as question marks (the input is not recognized), and Ă is displayed as A (the letter A exists of course in romanian and is different of Ă). By contrast Ă Â Î Ș Ț can be typed in Windows Mail (the replacement for Outlook Expres in Vista) and in Koma-Mail, Thunderbird and Sylpheed.

This is a complex problem that appears only in Vista, because this version of the operating system is the only one from MS that could display Ș and Ț (before that they were displayed as Ş and Ţ, which are wrong, because they have a cedilla whereas the romanian letters have a comma below them). However, many applications do not recognize Ș and Ț when they are typed, only when they are copied from the Clipboard or put in the text via drag-and-drop. iScribe displays Ș and Ț in received messsages, but I cannot type them in a message that I want to send (by contrast, Koma-Mail and the other e-mail clients mentioned above support the typing of Ș and Ț).

I already discussed in detail this Ș and Ț problem here :

http://www.sqlnotes....e/posts/Default.aspx

You can find the take on this particular problem (applications that do not support typing Ș and Ț under Vista) by Michael Kaplan (Technical Lead in the International Fundamentals team at Microsoft) here :

http://blogs.msdn.co...7/05/01/2367135.aspx

5) Conclusion
I never said that iScribe was a bad program, only that it failed to check my Gmail account and cannot be used by romanians because some letters with diacritics cannot be written. The Gmail checking has been resolved. If the problem with the typing of the romanian letters Ș Ț Ă is fixed I will translate it into romanian.

fret

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Writing in Romanian

Wow, there is a lot of problems with Romanian. On XP I get something reasonable but not fully correct. On Vista I get the aforementioned question marks. But it goes pretty deep. After hours of looking at it, it seems like it's a problem with the windows TranslateMessage function, where it converts a WM_KEYDOWN into a WM_CHAR message. The WM_KEYDOWN has the correct unicode character in it but by the time it gets to the app in WM_CHAR form it's a question mark. Which to me sounds like TranslateMessage is failing because the unicode code point is not in the current ANSI code page.

I'm trialling making my own WM_CHAR event based on the WM_KEYDOWN message and I can type in the Ș and Ț characters in Vista. But there'll need to be a fair bit of testing to make sure it doesn't break anything else.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:50 AM by fret »