ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Locking the screen with limited rights and universal password

(1/2) > >>

Ehtyar:
Hi all.
I'm having some problems at college. As for the background: My college is astoundingly stupid, in that there are per-computer logon accounts, instead of per-user logon accounts. Leaving out the security risks and plethora of other negative points, the accounts, while unique for each machine all use the same password. The following problem has got me beat: how can i lock my screen.
I have done some googling, but no glory. What I'm thinking is, if i were to install a low level mouse and keyboard hook, could i just eat all the keyboard and mouse messages until the user took an action to disable them (type a password etc)?. I realise that ctrl+alt+delete cannot be caught (short of replacing the keyboard driver), but if the user cannot use the mouse or other keyboard keys, invoking the task manager/windows security panel dosnt help them a lot. As a bonus perhaps i could use ogl or whatever to black the screen (keeping it on top of the task manager/preventing task manager from minimizing it might be a problem).
Anyway, let me know your thoughts/problems/criticism, and who knows one day my college computer will be safe from those nasty little peers of mine.

Thanks, Ehtyar.

lanux128:
Skrommel's ToddlerTrap can do stuff like that, locking keyboard & mouse but you need passwords to lock the screen so another option is Toddler Keys.

Ehtyar:
Thanks for the quick reply lanux, even though i wasn't here to see it. Toddler Keys is no good simply because of the way it uses the registry. I found ToddlerTrap during my searches, but without a password it is no use. I have trouble so much as understanding ahk, so editing it myself is out of the question. I assume the hotkey control is a necessary part of ToddlerTrap's operation, thus adding password capabilities to it is out of the question. If anyone is able to add a password to ToddlerTrap, or has another suggestion, I'd be very much obliged. Thanks again lanux.

Ehtyar.

lanux128:
yes, unfortunately Toddler Keys not only writes into the registry but it also looks for the keys when moved to a new pc.. anyway, there is another Skrommel app that you may want to try.. :)

WinLock - Lock individual windows with a password.
Features:
- One password for all windows.
- Only light protection.

PhilB66:
Lock Windows Desktop

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version