ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Direct Access - text expander and application launcher (and much more)

<< < (6/12) > >>

tinjaw:
Personally, I think a single dot is even better and easier.
-sri (October 11, 2007, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless of course you are using that as the last word in a sentence.  ;)

Ralf Maximus:
So correct me if I am wrong, but the primary difference between DA and FARR is that:

-  DA hooks into your keyboard and constantly monitors for keystrokes, triggering when it sees something that matches one of your commands, whereas

- FARR has to be invoked first (hotkey or clicky) THEN you can type your launch codes.

Is that it, pretty much?  I'm trying to visualize how my workstation experience would change using DA instead of FARR and I'm having trouble.

Thanks!

sri:
why don't you just download a trial version of DA and try instead of trying to visualize? :D

Also, DA is not just to launch files, folders, websites and programs. It also provides useful features like being able to position the cursor after an abbreviation is expanded. You can also easily add abbreviations from existing words by selecting the word and hitting a hot key. Similarly it provides a shortcut for setting an abbreviation to the current application.

Check out http://www.nagarsoft.com/videotutorials.aspx.

Ralf Maximus:
sri: Thanks, and maybe I will.  But I'm trying to come up with a compelling reason to even give it a try since I like FARR so much.

I'm not into text-expansion -- tried that with other apps (PhraseExpress was one) and never got into it.  So if I don't need that feature, what does it do for me that will cause me whip out my credit card in a spasm of hysterical consumerism?

Grorgy:
i found it really annoying and intrusive, like all the spell checkers and things like that i've tried but then thats just me, each to their own.  FARR for launching internal spell checkers, if i need it boilerplate text off the clipboard, ahhh the keep it simple principle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version