ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Kaspersky Internet Security 7

<< < (4/9) > >>

Defenestration:
Well, I don't know about v7, but I've had problems with Kaspersky v....6.5 I think : way too often (and every time KIS started) computer (dell laptop) would freeze for 1-3min. I tried many many things, searched the forum, etc. But was never able to get rid of that problem. So I decided that I wouldn't buy it (it happened 2-3 times that KIS froze my computer when I URGENTLY needed it... didn't like that at all).-Armando (September 12, 2007, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Did you tick the option "Concede resources to other applications" in Settings->Protection ?

Defenestration:
The needs improvement section

* Horrible "stuck pig squeal" sound in alerts - I immediately turned off the audible alerts.-CWuestefeld (September 12, 2007, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Some of us early adopters campaigned for Kaspersky to re-introduce this after it was removed (or was being considered for removal - I foget now) between versions 5 and 6.   Thankfully, they saw sense and listened to us :D . You can always change it with a different sound by replacing the file Infected.wav in C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0\Skin\sounds, although why you'd want to is beyond me.

* Updates sometimes need reboot - In 10 days of usage, the automatic updates have twice asked that I reboot my system. This is in contrast with Norton, from which I recall this only once in 1 year of usage.-CWuestefeld (September 12, 2007, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
This only happens when a low-level driver has been updated, and there is no way around it. You don't have to reboot immediately as it will just continue using the previous driver(s). Norton either didn't notify that a driver had been updated, or they didn't update their drivers that often.

* To build a rescue disc (which you should do!), you must first download and install BartPE; KIS isn't capable of building a boot disc on its own. This method works fine for a power user, and was even fairly quick, but I can't imagine my mom going through the process.-CWuestefeld (September 12, 2007, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
They could licence WinPE from Microsoft, but then that would push up the price of KAV/KIS. Kaspersky would also have to pay MS a royalty for every trial version of KAV/KIS downloaded that included WinPE, which is not realistic unless they disabled this feature in the trial.

The other option, which they took, was to use Bart's PE although they don't own it and so cannot distribute it.

So, the path Kaspersky have taken is to simplify the creation of the Bart PE through a wizard.

rniven:
You may want to review this before installing KAV or KIS 7. It's very long and I'm not saying it will happen to you, but you should know about it.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-Kaspersky-You-lost-me-at-ISwift

mhenriday:
It's not easy for an ordinary user to find an adequate method for rating available anti-virus programmes ; we often end up using such methods as what seems to have worked - or perhaps even more frequently, what has not worked - for a colleague, friend, or acquaintance. Fortunately, more objective procedures can be employed with relatively little effort, for example, using a service which daily examines the proportion of newly discovered viruses that the various applications stop or fail to stop, respectively. One such service which I have found valuable is the Virus statistics (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly) offered by the Shadow Server Foundation (http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage). Worth looking at, when trying to determine which anti-virus programme to use....

Henri   

CleverCat:
Never had any problem with KIS.  :D

The forums are a great help and....

You can change the 'squealing pig'.... :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version