ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

(1/12) > >>

mouser:
Well.. lately we've been getting more and more "signature" spammers here on the DC forum.

What happens is a spammer will create an account on the forum, then create a signature with links in their signature like "great stock tips!" that lead to their scam site.  Then they just post 1 or 5 messages that are generated from a script, that "look" more or less like real posts and questions about software etc.

So in addition to this being spam, it's also likely to result in wasted efforts by helpful people trying to answer their questions.

Anyway.. I'm going to implement a quick fix that basically does not show signatures for new users until they have a few posts under their belt.. And/or does not allow links in signatures until they have been around for a while.

But, at the risk of opening up the floodgates of controversy, perhaps it's time we talked a little about signature policy on the forum and if we want to make any other changes, or just suggested guidelines, etc.

In general, I know some people love signatures, some people hate them, some people love their own and hate all others, etc.  It does add a little fun to the place, though i fear sometimes they can get carried away when they are 500 pixels tall, etc..

Thoughts?

lanux128:
mouser, i'm all for the measures that you've mentioned so that these type of spammers are kept at bay.. it may be inconvenient at first but genuine users will come through.. :Thmbsup:

TucknDar:
A tip for those of you who don't like signatures and don't want to see them: They can be disabled :Thmbsup:

Go to your profile, the Look and Layout Preferences and tick Don't show users' signatures.

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]
[attachimg=#2][/attachimg]

iphigenie:
I'll unashamedly say I was hoping trying to get rid of some books with my signature, but it didnt work  :-\

I don't mind signatures as long as they dont contain tons of images that are kind of distracted - it would be nice to have an option "dont show images in signatures" as I like the software hints or quotes etc. that people do put in their sig

ak_:
There should be a policy about signature's height. It's always a little bit annoying to see someone replying "Eheh ok." and then seeing a 5 feet long signature underneath.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version