ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

<< < (8/12) > >>

Curt:
, or just require that someone donate before they can have a sig. -CWuestefeld (September 13, 2007, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds reasonable.  :up:

f0dder:
but I think that we just need to enforce some "taste". When a signature show up that will be unapproriated enough, I think one user or the other will find a polite way to notify it to the author and suggest changes.
-Mark0 (September 14, 2007, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hear ye, hear ye!

Daniel15:
Do anyone have any experience with Akismet? http://akismet.com/

I haven't tried it and only recently found it, but it's supposed to catch spam-posts to forums/blogs/comments, etc...

When a new comment, trackback, or pingback comes to your blog it is submitted to the Akismet web service which runs hundreds of tests on the comment and returns a thumbs up or thumbs down.
--- End quote ---

There's a SMF plugin here: http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/products/smf-mods/akismet.htm
-TucknDar (September 14, 2007, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hey look, it's my mod :D
To be honest, I'm not too happy with my Akismet mod at the moment. It works fine for most people, but doesn't seem to work for absolutely everyone (possibly due to differences in the server configuration), so please test it out on a test site before using it. I'm planning to rewrite it soon, although my free time is very limited at the moment. When I get more free time, I'll be doing more extensive testing with it.

housetier:
I am in favor of allowing quotes and textual links but no images nor banners and such. Also, the signature shouldn't have more than 5 lines. The actual post is more important than a signature.

If people have so much to say in their signature, they should open a thread or put it on a website and link to it.

So far I haven't really been inconvenienced by other users' signatures because I told smf to not display them :)

terribleterryc:
I use to HATE signatures.  I like them now but turn them off after I associate them with everyone's name.  The last several hours here I have not noticed any that rattle me.  jgpaiva has largest I have seen and it is OK.  If it stretched across entire page and was a color photograph or if it was animated I would immediately go looking for shut off button.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version