ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

<< < (4/12) > >>

Cloq:
I tend have the signatures disabled by default now. Been burned many times on other forums when people have animated banners and flash type signatures.

Me being on dialup and all.. well kinda hate waiting for the page to load. >:(

Darwin:
i don't think we need to get so complicated..
the people who register to spam do not have any intention of wasting time making real posts, etc.  they are looking for a quick way to spam people with minimal effort.

that's why simply blocking signatures until a few posts solves the problem because we catch the fake posts before they hit that many.-mouser (September 12, 2007, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool then! It seems to me that not allowing signatures for the first 5 - 10 posts should be fine then. I suggested 10 to make sure that spammers who follow the hit and run after 5 posts or so don't get through our defences!

Target:
for me sig's seem to be a double edged sword, on the one hand they can be enlightening or amusing, or you can be subjected to lines (and lines and lines) of meaningless drivel or overlarge images that add nothing.

don't know if this is possible (although from the above it seems likely) but why not block links in sigs altogether - it seems to me that most would probably sit better in the respective users profile.  This would stop potential spammers using this tactic at all

If a particular poster has a pressing need to publish a link, surely it should be relevant to the discussion/question, and included in their post

Darwin:
Target - fair comment. Makes sense to me as well. If anyone wants to link to a service or external site, their profile allows them to do this... Still, in the interest of allowing people to express themselves as they wish, mouser's scheme seems to me to strike the right balance between allowing personal expression and avoiding abuses of that privilege.

iphigenie:
I don't even bother *setting* a signature on a forum until I have posted there about 20 times so I know people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version