ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (33/119) > >>

Darwin:
oops
-wilfrednilsen (January 15, 2008, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that, brother... I have an iBook with 10.2 on it here at home and was helping my dad migrate from OS9 to 10.5 yesterday - I thought I was going to lose my mind trying to find stuff in either version of the Mac OS (ie 9.22 or 10.5). I've been looking at 3rd party File Managers and there are some nice ones out there, it seems. I don't have any links on hand, but I'll investigate and report back... someday  :-[

J-Mac:
I am using Dopus in my Windows desktop.  I also use TC at times, but I could never get quite comfortable with its GUI to use it as a full-time Explorer replacement. I have a few plugins in it but some are tough for me to get working correctly.  They DO have a forum with some helpful users but I find that a lot are very knowledgeable about scripts and such and don't like to explain much to the untrained masses!  ;D  I have used the FTP module in it and it is easy to setup and use. However one thing I noticed was that I could easily disconnect accidentally - one button that I kept thinking would return me to another view/lister or whatever its called in TC was actually the "Disconnect" button, but it was labeled something else - can't remember exactly what. But there are a few terms in TC that apparently don't translate well from German to English.

As for a Mac, it's been a long time for me:  I had an Apple II, a IIc, and a IIe waaaay back. Also the original LISA (Mac forerunner) and the first Mac.  Well, not the first they made, but the first model!  I am considering a Power Mac for a notebook now - I need a new one - but so many of my most frequently used programs are Windows only. I know about Parallel but I keep seeing a lot of complaints from users.  Decisions, decisions!  Gates is eventually going to make up my mind for me - he has me almost there now!

Jim

Darwin:
J-Mac - TC UP (Ultra Prime) is a good "distro" of TC. Belatedly I've realised/discovered that the installer allows you to select which plugins and addons you want to install and which to leave. This means that you can run one installer and set TC up very easily and conveniently. My main beef with TC is that I can never remember how to invoke the context menu... The instructions are somewhere in this thread, I believe...

J-Mac:
There are a few that befuddle me every time I look for them.  Going by memory (so some may be approximations - or what I think I remember!), I think "Refresh" is called "Reread Source", and "Sort" is called something else also -- maybe "Order files" or something like that?  Also he doesn't use anything close to the old MS standard of menubar titles: File, Edit, View, etc.  So I never know which menu to look in for a given command.  Can't remember which menubar menu, can't remember what he calls the commands....  I just can't remember much of anything anymore!

Actually when I used it all the time I got used to it.  But when you're away from it for a while they become "lost" all over again!

Jim

J-Mac:
J-Mac - TC UP (Ultra Prime) is a good "distro" of TC. Belatedly I've realised/discovered that the installer allows you to select which plugins and addons you want to install and which to leave. This means that you can run one installer and set TC up very easily and conveniently. My main beef with TC is that I can never remember how to invoke the context menu... The instructions are somewhere in this thread, I believe...
-Darwin (January 15, 2008, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin, can I update with downloads from this site? Or uninstall and install fresh?

Also it looks like they have re-numbered the versions.  E.g., I'm using 7.2a and they're latest at the Ultra-Prime site says it is 3.4.  Odd.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version